Random Shenmue III Thoughts

the new 15 sec ad has already more than 300k views!
On amazon uk, the game has 3 editions on top 100. #11 #43 and #65 :)
On Amazon Japan there are 2 editions and one edition has entered the top 100 best selling overall at #96 and the other edition is at #724. Add both it probably gets into the top 90 overall. Good news in Japan because it won't be leaving the top 100 for awhile now and the game still has 15 days to go until release.

Also don't mean this as a negative, but with development done by a small team, I doubt compression will be as efficient as other games mentioned like MGS5 or RE2

Compression is more-or-less a solved problem. It doesn't take a big team to do it, just the right library, and I'm pretty sure Unreal has built-in support for it.

Been looking at this gameplay preview:

And I noticed the combat looks faster and more robust overall. I'm glad.
I'm also glad to see the TGS lighting changes (were they newer changes though ?) doesn't seems to be carried into the more recent builds cause it definitely looked worse. Instead, we still have the accurate lighting.

bd5ea6fa31.png

The Shenmue III demo alone is 11GB.
Even with compression there's no way the game is <20GB unless a majority of it is downloaded from the internet once the disc is inserted.

I'm also glad to see the TGS lighting changes (were they newer changes though ?) doesn't seems to be carried into the more recent builds cause it definitely looked worse. Instead, we still have the accurate lighting.
Yep the combat is much faster and crisp which is good to see.

This and Resetera are the only forums I really read, so I doubt I’ll be spoiled unless I go poking around our other subforum. No blackout for me.

Why are you guys comparing the PC demo file size to the PS4 file size? Are those even equal comparisons?

N
bd5ea6fa31.png

Even with compression there's no way the game is <20GB unless a majority of it is downloaded from the internet once the disc is inserted.

Not to mention the demo was data mined and only consists of Bailu village (the rest of the game wasn’t in there...from memory...I don’t want to go down this rabbit hole, but from what I heard, the entirety of the game wasn’t in the demo build)

I’d imagine about 20 to 30GB at best. Doesn’t the PS4 do the whole “Ready to Play” pre-install? As in it does a chunk of the install that is immediately ready to play while still installing everything else in the background?

I don’t doubt that there is Review Code floating around out in the wild though (with just over two weeks left, there has to be review code floating around by now)

Anyways, will know for sure when the Digital Preload goes live just how big it is.

Last edited:
bd5ea6fa31.png

Yup.
Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Either that is a pre-instalation to allow players to start playing before the game installs everything, or after the initial instalation the game procedes to download the rest of the data form the internet.
I have my doubts about the last tho.

But even if it does end up being on the smaller side. I don’t think it says anything about the games length.

Modern Warfare was a 100GB download for me and the campaign is only 6 to 7 hours long.

Even if the game is on the smaller side, it probably just says that its assets are compressed or what not.

I’d imagine this is simply “Ready to Play” pre-installation with the rest installing in the background (as the majority of PS4 games do...for instance, RDR 2 was ”ready to play“ in 15 minutes and took me about an hour or so to finish the installation once I launched it from the XMB. I just downloaded Yakuza 4...it was ”ready to play” at 13GB with the total file size coming in at around 22GB)

I’m still expecting it to average out around 20 to 30GB (no way it’s 100GB like the placeholder stated)

Last edited:
Also no way the game is 12 gb! lol

I don’t think so either considering the trial that’s sitting on my PC right now is around 11GB as is. :D

Like I said, we’ll know how big it is if someone shows off a review copy digital download in process or when the preload goes live.

But yeah, wouldn’t surprise me if he does have the full game. Looks like the kind of case PR sends to reviewers. I’ve gotten PR discs like that before (I got one for Sniper Elite 3 on the PS3 that came in a jewel CD case like that). And I have to believe review code is floating around out there right now with a mere two weeks left.

I’d be shocked if most outlets don’t have code for it right now. That’s why I was asking if anyone from the Dojo even tried to get in touch with Koch Media for review code? Because I wanted to know if it is floating around out there right now.

Last edited:
Backer trial is just north of 10GB.

This guy likely doesn't have the full game, but I'd be interested if it's either the demo showcased at EGX + PGW, or the two hour preview code (which is 1.02 so...?)

EDIT: If it genuinely is the full game... what the fuck. Looks like blackout time is coming faster than anticipated.

This isnt quite the same situation as game stores breaking street date. However, I did say in the other thread that this week is the time to be very careful of spoilers. Who knows how many other review discs, like this one, have leaked to random people outside of gaming sites and publications.

I don’t think so either considering the trial that’s sitting on my PC right now is around 11GB as is. :D

Like I said, we’ll know how big it is if someone shows off a review copy digital download in process or when the preload goes live.

But yeah, wouldn’t surprise me if he does have the full game. Looks like the kind of case PR sends to reviewers. And I have to believe review code is floating around out there right now with a mere two weeks left.
oh yes...
Review copies have to be out there already.
I mean.... The game is not exactly short hehe :)

That preview is indicative of what I expect most review coverage to sound like for the game in general.

One for the fans while leaving everyone else slightly baffled. Sounds about how I feel most review coverage will go for it.

I do hope it picks up some curious bystanders, but their point above is the thing that I think will alienate a lot of people. Which is a shame because if they do give it a chance, they may find something here.

Oh well, everything they criticize (with maybe exception of the stilted VO...I'll agree with them that the VO ain't great) is everything I could want from it.

Back