Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I think you had to experience it when it was new to truly appreciate it and gain the attachment to the story and characters.
I don't think that's even close to true. Storytelling has not changed so massively in the last 20 years that it's somehow not possible to connect to a character or be immersed in a world.

Strip away how groundbreaking and amazing the original Star Wars was, and years later it's still a great movie. You still love the characters and the story, it is not stuck in 1977 and nobody afterwards can enjoy it.

I will be honest, I can't recommend Shenmue 3 to my friends, as they have never played or heard of Shenmue.
I wouldn't even advise them to play the Shenmue 1 & 2 ports because I think the graphics, voice acting and controls would instantly put them off.
I could sit and explain why Shenmue was so important in the gaming industry and all the things it did before any other games... but it wouldn't matter.
I think you had to experience it when it was new to truly appreciate it and gain the attachment to the story and characters.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of young and very vocal gaming journalist who will bring this game down.

You never know till you try. People can can make their own minds up. If you don't at least present it to them then your right they never will like it.

Master Chen clearly states in Shenmue 1," He is bound by a promise he made Zhu Yuan Da regarding Guizhang father."
He's talking about Ryo's father. He is bound to help Ryo because Zhu referred Iwao to him in his letter.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I wrote that clearly enough, so I will explain in more detail. Zhu sent Iwao a letter stating that if he (Iwao) needs help, he should seek the aid of Master Chen. Therefore, Master Chen feels that he is bound by a promise to Zhu to offer help to Ryo, Iwao's son. He says this to Guizhang as a retort when Guizhang tells him that he doesn't need to help Ryo.

Last edited:
I don't think that's even close to true. Storytelling has not changed so massively in the last 20 years that it's somehow not possible to connect to a character or be immersed in a world.

Strip away how groundbreaking and amazing the original Star Wars was, and years later it's still a great movie. You still love the characters and the story, it is not stuck in 1977 and nobody afterwards can enjoy it.

My point was more if you are trying to tell a story but with janky controls, dated graphics and awkward voice acting, it can be harder for newcomers to get into.
Films, books etc don't really age. I would rather watch a film from the late '60s than anything made in the past 20 years, but I'd find it much harder to enjoy if I had to watch it through and dirty, blurry lens while turning a rusty crank.

It's gonna review a lot like deadly premonition and stuff. Some people will just absolutely not get it, some will be won over by the story (hopefully - we don't know what's going to go down!) and some will be completely enamoured with it.

Just the way Shenmue has always been ?

It's gonna review a lot like deadly premonition and stuff. Some people will just absolutely not get it, some will be won over by the story (hopefully - we don't know what's going to go down!) and some will be completely enamoured with it.

I think you are absolutely spot on with that.

He's talking about Ryo's father. He is bound to help Ryo because he was referred to Iwao by Zhu in his letter.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I wrote that clearly enough, so I will explain in more detail. Zhu sent Iwao a letter stating that if he (Iwao) needs help, he should seek the aid of Master Chen. Therefore, Master Chen feels that he is bound by a promise to Zhu to offer help to Ryo, Iwao's son. He says to this to Guizhang as a retort when Guizhang tells him that he doesn't need to help Ryo.

Thanks for the education...I guess I can cross that off the list?

There are a bunch of "new fans" here on the Dojo who have been introduced to the series by the HD ports, @9dragons being the most prominent one around here, iirc.

Also before the ports, Shenmue continued to gain some new fans over the years by people who played it as a retro game on the DC or on emulators post 2008 or so.

A similar thing happened to me with Phantasy Star 1, which I first played on the Master System in the early 2000s. That game originally came out in 1987 (ironically the year S2 & 3 take place in). PS1 has become one of my favorite games ever and probably my favorite 8 bit game ever and that's against masterpieces such as Mario 3, Mega Man 2 or Ninja Gaiden (Master System).

I also played Silent Hill 2 for the first time years after it had originally come out.

I think it's a matter of that person's attitude. If you are open minded enough to let yourself be immersed, you can enjoy any great game, no matter how old it is.

I think it's a matter of that person's attitude. If you are open minded enough to let yourself be immersed, you can enjoy any great game, no matter how old it is.
To be fair you're in the minority and that guy's friends are probably just average gamers. A friend of mine's only opinion on Shenmue when it was given to him was "this game looks like shit".

That PlayStation article has an interesting line:

Is this a lazy way of referring to Ryo, since we know that Shenhua and Ren have new voice actors, or could other characters be returning with original VAs? Maybe some of the characters that can be called?
I'm still holding out hope that Paul Lucas reprised his role as Lan Di for the English dub. It's also possible that Eric Kelso recorded Fuku-san and Guizhang's phone conversations, even though Ren has a new actor.

Yeah shilling shenmue is hard, I couldnt get a single friend of mine through even the first game.

I truly wonder how the sequel is gonna review, frankly, I am far more flabbergasted that game is happening than shenmue 3. If you went back in time and told me in 2010 that these 2 jank ass games I love that no one else bothered playing at the time, nier and deadly premoniton, would both receive sequel on next gen consoles I'd think your fucking with me.

This preview article is shitting on Shenmue 3 hard. What a loser who compared the Yakuza series and believes there's no point to releasing something low budget, what a CUNT.View attachment 5160
While I agree with the sentiment theres going to be a few like this so be ready.

Just watch the tone please.

To be fair you're in the minority and that guy's friends are probably just average gamers. A friend of mine's only opinion on Shenmue when it was given to him was "this game looks like shit".

Yeah, I was going to say something similar.
My friends (who are younger) very much represent the average gamer.. they jump from AAA title to AAA title. If they don't receive instant enjoyment or aren't rewarded in some way within 20mins then they never touch the game again and move on.
If you push them for critique and they will tell you "it's shit".

I feel the only good reviews Shenmue 3 will get will be from biased reviewers who are already fans of the series.

Not that it's going to make any difference to us (the fans), even if the game is considered "bad", a large number of people still enjoy bad things... ..like Fortnite. ?

Is this a lazy way of referring to Ryo, since we know that Shenhua and Ren have new voice actors, or could other characters be returning with original VAs? Maybe some of the characters that can be called?

Corey Marshall appeared on Magnus YouTube channel yesterday for an interview and sort of alluded to this when asked. You can watch full interview here

I believe the reference to any returning actors/actresses might be the characters Ryo can call by phone. Wouldn’t surprise me if we saw returning VO there.

Back