Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Things will play in the games favour for most part in retationship to these previews for sure.
All these previews saw 1 or 2 hours of a 30 to 40 hours game.

Nobody has seen fishing yet,
Seems like nobady was able to go to the arcades yet.
Nobody has seen Chobu yet, besides the gameinformer guys who were at YSNET.

These previews are litle more than the demo.
The game's lenght and depth will impress many reviewers.
And maybe after finishing the game, they will be let with a good feeling.

I mean, some of these previews are from people who never played the first two games in the first place.
How the fuck are they going to get in the mood of the game or understand it in 1 hour?!

This preview article is shitting on Shenmue 3 hard. What a loser who compared the Yakuza series and believes there's no point to releasing something low budget, what a CUNT.View attachment 5160

If I had a penny every time someone mentions Yakuza and Shenmue together in the same sentence, there'd be enough funding for the rest of the series.

I really need to play Deadly Premonition one of these days. It's been in my backlog for almost nine years.
Its a wonderful terrible game, very shenmue like in the way it puts so much focus on interacting with npcs and characters though obviously to a far lesser degree, keep in mind it was a 20 dollar game from a decade ago

Corey Marshall appeared on Magnus YouTube channel yesterday for an interview and sort of alluded to this when asked. You can watch full interview here

I believe the reference to any returning actors/actresses might be the characters Ryo can call by phone. Wouldn’t surprise me if we saw returning VO there.
My god if they bothered to get tom's actor

Deadly Premonition is a much worse game than Shenmue is, Shenmue has competent fighting and gameplay. Deadly Premonition? The driving's fucking awful, it has the worst map I've ever encountered in any game, the shooting is braindead, the enemies repetitive and the characters models truly do 'look like a PS2 game'

That said, it has a brilliant soundtrack, a great story, and great NPCs. These are enough. If you can grit your teeth past the truly terrible opening few hours and just go with it, there's a lot to enjoy.

Awful game to replay though, can't stand the thought of going back to it. But I still own it.

A huge appeal of Shenmue to me is the music. People at press events just aren't going to get the chance to listen to the game properly, to drink it all in. Very few previews have mentioned the music, so I'm hoping when they sit down with their review copies - the charm will come.

Brilliant

Wonder what all he said but footage looks good.
He played a ps4 pro version of the game, that started from the beginning of the game (he mentions the first minutes of the game). What is worth mentioning is 1080p 60fps on ps4 pro, not sure about higher resolutions (even Koch media was insure), sometimes the frame rate is lower but nothing really bad. He also talks about the way NPCs will talk to you when they don't know you and when you are with shenhua. He also points out that some NPCs are good looking (the old one) and some other are weird. And I can add that the weird fade to black that we saw in a recent video during cutscenes (the dialogue with shenhua on the road to the village) might still be a thing...

Maybe it's just me, but is it not a bit weird to release previews when the game is only two weeks away? Reviews must be around the corner, surely? Is this normal for a lot of games?

It's very weird in my opinion. Honestly it doesn't make much sense to me. Ideally review copies should have been in hands a week ago at the latest but here we are still getting previews of the first hour. There's been zero confirmation of review copies even being out now with no review embargo released. It's pretty worrying if reviewers aren't playing the full game today as they're going to have to rush pretty hard to play the game in full and then write reviews, edit videos etc. And that's release day. Ideally reviews should be out earlier.

He played a ps4 pro version of the game, that started from the beginning of the game (he mentions the first minutes of the game). What is worth mentioning is 1080p 60fps on ps4 pro, not sure about higher resolutions (even Koch media was insure), sometimes the frame rate is lower but nothing really bad. He also talks about the way NPCs will talk to you when they don't know you and when you are with shenhua. He also points out that some NPCs are good looking (the old one) and some other are weird. And I can add that the weird fade to black that we saw in a recent video during cutscenes (the dialogue with shenhua on the road to the village) might still be a thing...

Thanks for translation. We are probably going to have to wait until John from Digital Foundry analysis this, to see what performance is like on PS4 pro. I would be shocked but pleasantly surprised if Pro is able to hit 60FPS at 1080p.

I also noted right at the start of the footage when Ryo goes into first person mode that camera box appearing which others said was removed in newer footage, so who knows if they are playing the latest build. Guess we will soon find out.

Deadly Premonition is a much worse game than Shenmue is, Shenmue has competent fighting and gameplay. Deadly Premonition? The driving's fucking awful, it has the worst map I've ever encountered in any game, the shooting is braindead, the enemies repetitive and the characters models truly do 'look like a PS2 game'

That said, it has a brilliant soundtrack, a great story, and great NPCs. These are enough. If you can grit your teeth past the truly terrible opening few hours and just go with it, there's a lot to enjoy.

Awful game to replay though, can't stand the thought of going back to it. But I still own it.

A huge appeal of Shenmue to me is the music. People at press events just aren't going to get the chance to listen to the game properly, to drink it all in. Very few previews have mentioned the music, so I'm hoping when they sit down with their review copies - the charm will come.

Brilliant
I mean the people that consider deadly premonition to be one of their favorite games ever tend to point out how awful it is too so I doubt anyone is denying what you said, we will see how 2 polishes things up but it is worth noting that the combat wasnt even meant to be in the game and was forced in a couple of final months before release to a game that already was a barely functioning canceled game being shat out onto shelves incomplete. Deadly premonition is one of those bizzare games where the flaws of it are what makes it all the more unique no matter how painful it can be at times, its just a surreal experience and unlike anything else because of it. Its been memed to death but like, this scene describes the game better than anything else

hell yess to 60 fps, hell no to fades of black.

Corey Marshall appeared on Magnus YouTube channel yesterday for an interview and sort of alluded to this when asked. You can watch full interview here

I believe the reference to any returning actors/actresses might be the characters Ryo can call by phone. Wouldn’t surprise me if we saw returning VO there.
@code l name

Could you please embed the video under a spoiler tag here? Doesn't show up on my watch history when not seen on youtube. Therefor preserving my 2 months of altering my viewing habits pre-launch. They think like all i care about being recommended is NHL and Conan O'Brien haha

During hockey season i predominantly quick link straight to condensed game highlights, regardless of Shen3 blackout efforts.

Thanks for translation. We are probably going to have to wait until John from Digital Foundry analysis this, to see what performance is like on PS4 pro. I would be shocked but pleasantly surprised if Pro is able to hit 60FPS at 1080p.

I also noted right at the start of the footage when Ryo goes into first person mode that camera box appearing which others said was removed in newer footage, so who knows if they are playing the latest build. Guess we will soon find out.
It was the 1.02 version, I guess we can wait 2 more weeks ;)

Things will play in the games favour for most part in retationship to these previews for sure.
All these previews saw 1 or 2 hours of a 30 to 40 hours game.

Nobody has seen fishing yet,
Seems like nobady was able to go to the arcades yet.
Nobody has seen Chobu yet, besides the gameinformer guys who were at YSNET.

These previews are litle more than the demo.
The game's lenght and depth will impress many reviewers.
And maybe after finishing the game, they will be let with a good feeling.

I mean, some of these previews are from people who never played the first two games in the first place.
How the fuck are they going to get in the mood of the game or understand it in 1 hour?!
I won't be surprised if some reviewers review the game based on one or two hours of gameplay, unfortunately. I think the more 'credible' reviewers will balance out the trashy reviews anyway, as far as Metacritic is concerned. If the review average is low but there's a clear divide between love/hate, that could be an ok thing.

I won't be surprised if some reviewers review the game based on one or two hours of gameplay, unfortunately. I think the more 'credible' reviewers will balance out the trashy reviews anyway, as far as Metacritic is concerned. If the review average is low but there's a clear divide between love/hate, that could be an ok thing.

Sad but true, infact I bet the vast majority of the bigger outlets, will do that sigh.

I really doubt they would review only 1 to 2 hours of the game, people rag on reviewers a lot but its a total outlier when they are that unfair. Now many might not finish the game cause some reviews for longer games regardless of positive or negative can end up being scored before it's done, persona 5 comes to mind cause that game was like 100 hours barely any of the reviews for it were of the complete game, but they do still put quite a lot of time into the games before they can score it.

But I think its far more likely they will just finish Shenmue 3 outright, thats one think I wouldnt worry about. The only recent infamous didnt finish the game type of reviews were games where the endings werent actually the end of the game, like how a single reviewer scored nier automata at ending A, aka the 35% mark of the game, or that infamous resident evil 2 remake review where the ign guy didnt realize they needed to actually play the B route for the rest of the game.

Tom's the only Sega Heroes Shenmue character not confirmed to be in Shenmue III yet :unsure:

Perhaps the prophecy was just about getting Ryo to eat one of Tom's hotdogs.

From across the Sea.....he shall appear...... OMG TOM GOT ON A PLANE !!11 :ROFLMAO:

We're getting in to spoiler territory now but Yu Suzuki himself said we will see Tom in Shenmue III in some capacity in the GameInformer Q&A. Probably just phone card stuff though.

Oh yes, I'm probably in the minority, but it's not a tiny little minority. I think there are more than enough open-minded gamers out there.
I also think so.
Even with shenmue being a somewhat devisive game, reviews were really goo for the rereleases.
Even considering the state in wich they came at release.

Not all, mas most reviewers will consider, this is a kickstarter game with some more money.
bringing a bit more context and understandingto the reviews

Back