Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I saw her walking in there but didnt think anything of it and didnt see a scene trigger when i walked aroubd inside, what specifically happens

not much really. Occasionally you might catch her sitting in the back patio lounge and thats where you can have more convos with her and also play more Face Off

Wait when was
his mother’s name
reveal? I totally missed that.

When Ryo was leaving the Bailu temple after speaking to the female monk. Just before he left she said 'wait here have this, your father left it. I dont know what it says (Because it was in Japanese and she's Chinese) but it might mean something to you' , and it was an emu (wooden praying block with written words on it) of Iwao saying "Akane wait for me" or something to that extent.

not much really. Occasionally you might catch her sitting in the back patio lounge and thats where you can have more convos with her and also play more Face Off
Thats really odd that its be placed so far out of the way that almost no one would see it. Why couldnt this just be at the hotel.

When Ryo was leaving the Bailu temple after speaking to the female monk. Just before he left she said 'wait here have this, your father left it. I dont know what it says (Because it was in Japanese and she's Chinese) but it might mean something to you' , and it was an emu (wooden praying block with written words on it) of Iwao saying "Akane wait for me" or something to that extent.
Yup totally just didn’t connect the dots there. Cool stuff. Thanks!

Finished the game today. Basically I'd rate it 7/10. The gameplay itself I absolutely loved. THe environments were wonderful, exploring, training and just doing mini games were a blast.

But the plot... I actually have no issue with the pacing for 90% of the game but its the final area that bothers me plot wise
because they basically have so much to show and rush by so damn quick. They really needed to flesh out all of these characters - like there were goons in the castle. Who were they? Who did they work for? They weren't suits or Red Snakes. Niao Sun basically got fuck all screen time so her betrayal and actions felt ham fisted. Lan Di's guys were awesome for the three seconds they did something.

So yeah. They really should have built a game round the story and not the other way round. As I can totally understand people being annoyed at the way the game ends. Though for the record, the final area was a blast to fight through.

Guess its one part bad writing/poor plot and one part budget as it feels like something was ripped out of the game which would have helped make sense of the overall plot. Oh well, getting Shenmue 3 is still a far better reality than having no Shenmue 3.

Finished the game today. Basically I'd rate it 7/10. The gameplay itself I absolutely loved. THe environments were wonderful, exploring, training and just doing mini games were a blast.

But the plot... I actually have no issue with the pacing for 90% of the game but its the final area that bothers me plot wise
because they basically have so much to show and rush by so damn quick. They really needed to flesh out all of these characters - like there were goons in the castle. Who were they? Who did they work for? They weren't suits or Red Snakes. Niao Sun basically got fuck all screen time so her betrayal and actions felt ham fisted. Lan Di's guys were awesome for the three seconds they did something.

So yeah. They really should have built a game round the story and not the other way round. As I can totally understand people being annoyed at the way the game ends. Though for the record, the final area was a blast to fight through.

Guess its one part bad writing/poor plot and one part budget as it feels like something was ripped out of the game which would have helped make sense of the overall plot. Oh well, getting Shenmue 3 is still a far better reality than having no Shenmue 3.

I suspect Baisha being cut explains a lot of why the final segment feels so rushed. At least, that's what I think. I wish Baisha wasn't cut (or "repurposed" as the Fortified Castle area), but I guess they had to get the game out at some point and they were having real problems fleshing the game out with the resources and budget they had.

In hindsight (and with me knowing fuck all about the development process involved or video games development in general), I would have made Niaowu half the size, streamlined elements of the pacing in that section and then expanded the final 2 hours into something longer, built in the Baisha area. But maybe that wasn't an option, I don't know.

I suspect Baisha being cut explains a lot of why the final segment feels so rushed. At least, that's what I think. I wish Baisha wasn't cut (or "repurposed" as the Fortified Castle area), but I guess they had to get the game out at some point and they were having real problems fleshing the game out with the resources and budget they had.

In hindsight (and with me knowing fuck all about the development process involved or video games development in general), I would have made Niaowu half the size, streamlined elements of the pacing in that section and then expanded the final 2 hours into something longer, built in the Baisha area. But maybe that wasn't an option, I don't know.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. As much as I love the size of Chobu with its gorgeous architecture and wealth of things to do, it definitely could have done with being a little smaller to cap off the end better.

Welp, today's the day I will complete Shenmue. I'm in the old castle. I have lots of mixed feelings, but overall I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Shenmue 3 and I'm ecstatic that it not only exists, but ultimately flawed or not, it is what it is. This Yu Suzuki's uncompromised vision, for the most part, and the only flaws I can find ultimately come down to budget restraints. It's a shame the ending is rushed (from what I hear) and the story pacing dipped at times and lacked the cinematic punch the first two games (particularly Shenmue 2) often had, but overall I'm pleased.

I'm looking forward to finally wrapping it up and joining others in the spoiler discussion.
Agreed. While it wasn't perfect, I still had a blast with it overall and I'm extremely grateful that I was able to play another Shenmue game in my lifetime. It still has that special feel to it and now I'm jonesing for more.

Its odd how they made the streets of Niaowu like twice or three times the width that Fenghuang Ancient City is in real life. Those streets are even narrower than Dobuita Street in Yokosuka...

Do you guys reckon saying things around not liking the ending or being disappointed in such and such counts as a spoiler? I love this forum but staying away from a lot of threads and there seems to be a lot of expectation spoiling. Maybe such comments moved to the spoiler forum?
Yeah, I kind of agree. For much of my playthrough, I didn't visit this thread or the forums at all because people were saying things that were too spoilery for my tastes.

Old interviews with Yu are quite fun to read today.

Any possibility of a bicycle finally being added to Shenmue 3? Thank you so much again, Yu!
Yu_Suzuki[S] 423 points 4 years ago
There is a 60 horsepower bike in Shenmue 1. For Shenmue, 3 I was thinking about something with 1 horsepower.

And nobody guessed the right answer at the time.

I'm still saying the end it's cool. It's not blowminding, but it's perfectly fine.

Holy shit I just saw her there, didn't try to talk with her.

Back