Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Someone's shown his Dreamcast collection on Dreamcast Reddit.
ljal75too6d41.jpg

That's gonna be me some day😈

The logic is that they paid for a lot of copies in advance. They don't want those to be sitting "on shelves". Normally in a digital market, you don't have to care about unsold. But in the case of pre-paying copies, you want to get your investment back, which Epic is seeking to do.

Epic didn't support Shenmue 3. Epic supported Deep Silver, like they did for other Deep Silver releases. They won't fund nor pay for Shenmue 4.
Wouldn’t they also need to pay someone with 2.1 million subscribers to play the game? Seems kind of strange a company like Epic would put even more money into Shenmue if it were that big of a money loser. That’s not a good investment strategy. I think the truth here really is hard to discern.

WTF Laink&Terracid is one of my younger brother's favorite youtubers. It's a very mainstream channel, I never thought they would play a game like Shenmue. I assume they are sponsored by Epic too since they never played Shenmue 1&2.

The logic is that they paid for a lot of copies in advance. They don't want those to be sitting "on shelves". Normally in a digital market, you don't have to care about unsold. But in the case of pre-paying copies, you want to get your investment back, which Epic is seeking to do.
They did, I wish we knew the number. I do understand your logic.

They must think it is worthwhile putting in the marketing money to try and make this back otherwise why even bother, its like pouring money down the toilet if they're flogging something that they know (from their statistics presumably) won't make back the investment (combined copies and marketing).

Epic is agressively establishing market share for themselves so it's not necessarily about getting return of investment but just expanding userbase. That's why they pay serious money for exclusivity agreements and it makes sense they want to promote those titles to attract new customers.

They also have deep pockets with their mother company Tencent being one of the biggest companies in China (and the world) so Epic doesn't need to care about losing money in the short term.

Obviously they still think Shenmue has enough of a following to be worth promoting though.

That's what I was trying to get at. I don't see why they wouldn't just say fuck it and ignore Shenmue if it weren't doing anything for their platform. They can absorb the loss. I can't see any reason why they'd be courting guys with 2 million followers 2 months after 11/19 if Shenmue were totally dead.

The capsule toy system in this game is borderline obnoxious. The way there's one in every set that only comes out after about 100 tries has truly sucked the fun out of what should be an amusing fun diversion. Capsule toys and those wonky lucky hit boards can get in the sea. Getting the wagon toy and that pink panda for the shitty kids tested my patience to breaking point

The capsule toy system in this game is borderline obnoxious. The way there's one in every set that only comes out after about 100 tries has truly sucked the fun out of what should be an amusing fun diversion. Capsule toys and those wonky lucky hit boards can get in the sea. Getting the wagon toy and that pink panda for the shitty kids tested my patience to breaking point
I didn't think it was any worse than trying to get the rare capsule toys in the first two games. I guess having some side quests tied to it is the big difference that potentially made it seem more obnoxious this time.

Yeah, it's the only part of the game I really don't like. I don't mind fishing for hours on end or picking herbs because they are involving and you can sell the proceeds/make cash for doing so. What do I achieve watching the same animation over 200 times and wasting all my money? Just to give a kid a toy car do he unlocks a secret fishing spot that's obvious to anyone who walks past it? Pure padding!

No way I could do it 20 odd times to get all the sets for the platinum. Kinda bummed out thought after doing the 1000 fish and all herbs the rest would come naturally.

Yeah, it's the only part of the game I really don't like. I don't mind fishing for hours on end or picking herbs because they are involving and you can sell the proceeds/make cash for doing so. What do I achieve watching the same animation over 200 times and wasting all my money? Just to give a kid a toy car do he unlocks a secret fishing spot that's obvious to anyone who walks past it? Pure padding!

No way I could do it 20 odd times to get all the sets for the platinum. Kinda bummed out thought after doing the 1000 fish and all herbs the rest would come naturally.
Yeah, I think the side-quests in general don't fit Shenmue and weren't much fun. misguided.

We all know I'll be back at it lol I want that Platinum trophy.... I just really hate capsule toy collecting. Herb collecting is a literal walk in the park/field/hermits nest by comparison 😂

We all know I'll be back at it lol I want that Platinum trophy.... I just really hate capsule toy collecting. Herb collecting is a literal walk in the park/field/hermits nest by comparison 😂
I tried to mix it while doing other in game stuff. Also when I had a lot of money I keep buying sets while speaking on the phone or reading the forum...

I spent an easy 1000 yuan to find the last of the hat capsule toys.

Back