Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I just found out about this Super Eyepatch Wolf's critique on Shenmue 3. (I don't really follow these e-celebs on youtube, which is why I'm late to the party.)

I only watched bits of it. I felt that he was exaggerating its flaws just for clout on his channel.
It ruined his life. He can never recover. His mental state will never be the same because of shenmue 3. So sad. Much bad. ;_;

Am I right in thinking that, as of Sh3, the philosophy of the input button is akin to:
x: close-punch and defensive/backstep action
y: punch
a: close leg-move and forward action
b: kick

And, as such, the qte inputs now follow this philosophy and not the one from sh1&2.
So, maybe the qte are also testing the player foresight in what could happen.
This is just that, if one do not get the (new) philosophy of the buttons,
then, it's less easy to get this extra reflex window that may help in the sh3 qte.

Am I right in thinking that, as of Sh3, the philosophy of the input button is akin to:
x: close-punch and defensive/backstep action
y: punch
a: close leg-move and forward action
b: kick

And, as such, the qte inputs now follow this philosophy and not the one from sh1&2.
So, maybe the qte are also testing the player foresight in what could happen.
This is just that, if one do not get the (new) philosophy of the buttons,
then, it's less easy to get this extra reflex window that may help in the sh3 qte.
They do match in 1+2 as well, you're correct. They also seem to have adjusted the logic along with the new fight engine inputs. Might be why i've never really been too angered or mad about the less lenient new QTEs. Sounds corny, but being in tuned with the game's martial arts and world makes the QTEs in all three games come much more natural. Mind as serene as a polished mirror!

I also recognise Cam Clarke as the alcoholic martial artist. He's been doing a lot of video game voice work lately.

I'm aware that the veteran voice actors do uncredited work. I think Sean Schemmel (the voice of Goku) voiced General Olaf in the Trails of Cold Steel games.
There's actually a lot of great voice actors in Shenmue 3. I think people confuse the "bad" voice acting with bad dialogue/direction.

I also recognise Cam Clarke as the alcoholic martial artist. He's been doing a lot of video game voice work lately.

I'm aware that the veteran voice actors do uncredited work. I think Sean Schemmel (the voice of Goku) voiced General Olaf in the Trails of Cold Steel games.
Wow, I had no idea that Master Sun was Cam Clarke!

Guys; check out these amazing screeshots from this site.

Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol.3 Akira Yuki​

I believe they are from Akira in Virtua Fighter Rpg.

1611279687371.png
Ryo in Hong Kong !?

1611279744987.png
Ryo training in Bailu Village !?

1611279788473.png
Ryo training at Man Mo Temple !?

1611279848042.png
Ryo resting by the tree where Iwao practiced his punches !?
Mimi's cousin !?

1611280015776.png
Ryo at the train station in Shenmue 4 !?

1611280081964.png
Ryo training his leg kicks.

1611280154728.png
Ryo got tired of catching chickens and decided to rest for a bit while the white deer from bailu village was eating a snack.🤣

1611280305016.png
Ryo's training in Shenmue 4 !?

1611280358249.png
QTE training in Shenmue 4 !?

1611280452993.png
Ryo at the docks in Niaowu !?

1611280503876.png
Ryo in Hong Kong !?

1611280547996.png
Ryo at the Shaolin Temple !?

1611280611932.png
Ryo's final cutscene in Bailu Village !?

1611280694158.png
Ryo at the Dojo !?

There's actually a lot of great voice actors in Shenmue 3. I think people confuse the "bad" voice acting with bad dialogue/direction.
Who helped with voice direction in this game? Do you know, mate?

Oh, I like Cam Clarke. I grew up with him during the original TMNT days. I also recognise the actor who voiced Genma from the Ninja Scroll film. He's the old vendor in Bailu Village.

Wow, I had no idea that Master Sun was Cam Clarke!

Yeah, it's him. He's worked on minor roles with Bang Zoom! Entertainment and PCBProductions these days. These voice dubbing companies hire non-union actors for a lot of Japanese computer games. Cam's done a lot of non-union work on the "Tales of" series, for example.

As Shenmue 3 was on a limited budget, I'm going to safely guess that they hired non-union actors.

Last edited:
Who helped with voice direction in this game? Do you know, mate?

Oh, I like Cam Clarke. I grew up with him during the original TMNT days. I also recognise the actor who voiced Genma from the Ninja Scroll film. He's the old vendor in Bailu Village.

Yeah, it's him. He's worked on minor roles with Bang Zoom! Entertainment and PCBProductions these days. These voice dubbing companies hire non-union actors for a lot of Japanese computer games. Cam's done a lot of non-union work on the "Tales of" series, for example.

As Shenmue 3 was on a limited budget, I'm going to safely guess that they hired non-union actors.
I'm pretty sure Corey said the job was a non-union job for Shenmue III back in the summer. It was when he was doing some Shenmue Zoom meetings which were decent fun.

Guys; check out these amazing screeshots from this site.

Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol.3 Akira Yuki​

I believe they are from Akira in Virtua Fighter Rpg.

View attachment 10235
Ryo in Hong Kong !?

View attachment 10236
Ryo training in Bailu Village !?

View attachment 10237
Ryo training at Man Mo Temple !?

View attachment 10238
Ryo resting by the tree where Iwao practiced his punches !?
Mimi's cousin !?

View attachment 10239
Ryo at the train station in Shenmue 4 !?

View attachment 10240
Ryo training his leg kicks.

View attachment 10241
Ryo got tired of catching chickens and decided to rest for a bit while the white deer from bailu village was eating a snack.🤣

View attachment 10242
Ryo's training in Shenmue 4 !?

View attachment 10243
QTE training in Shenmue 4 !?

View attachment 10244
Ryo at the docks in Niaowu !?

View attachment 10245
Ryo in Hong Kong !?

View attachment 10246
Ryo at the Shaolin Temple !?

View attachment 10247
Ryo's final cutscene in Bailu Village !?

View attachment 10248
Ryo at the Dojo !?

There are more. I always like seeing these photos. Some of them are included on the Virtua Fighter 2 PC CD ROM release.

Untitled.png

hinamatsuri.jpg
5KgImBu.pngthJk4w1.png
a48WXT6.pngeny7Ppe.png

uzOYFyW.pngZP3QxEC.png

Back