Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Earlier today, I was reading through an old Yu Suzuki interview from a few months after the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter came to an end and stumbled upon this…
"Kickstarter's not the only source of money," says Suzuki. "There's also funding from Sony and Shibuya Productions.”
Iirc, YS Net came out and said that Sony wasn’t putting any money directly into Shenmue 3‘s funding during the actual Kickstarter campaign, but this quote would seem to directly contradict that. Am I missing something?

Earlier today, I was reading through an old Yu Suzuki interview from a few months after the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter came to an end and stumbled upon this…

Iirc, YS Net came out and said that Sony wasn’t putting any money directly into Shenmue 3‘s funding during the actual Kickstarter campaign, but this quote would seem to directly contradict that. Am I missing something?
Wasn't it marketing and 3rd party in the end.

Wasn't it marketing and 3rd party in the end.
I think that’s what they said initially during the campaign, yeah, but this makes it sound as though Sony threw some money directly into the pot.

I don’t really care either way (I never really understood the uproar re Sony potentially co-funding S3, so this certainly isn’t a “how dare they lie to us” kind of post), but I am a little curious to know how involved Sony really was.

I think that’s what they said initially during the campaign, yeah, but this makes it sound as though Sony threw some money directly into the pot.

I don’t really care either way (I never really understood the uproar re Sony potentially co-funding S3, so this certainly isn’t a “how dare they lie to us” kind of post), but I am a little curious to know how involved Sony really was.
I do wonder tbh. I expect when they got a publisher Sony stepped back. It didn't look like they did loads. There was one article on the blog they do in 2019 IIRC

Shenmue III would have had some pretty stiff competition in 2004. The more I think about it, Shenmue never really had a chance. But that's kind of what makes me love Shenmue-- they had a vision and they went for it. And we got some beautiful things as a result.

Shenmue III would have had some pretty stiff competition in 2004. The more I think about it, Shenmue never really had a chance. But that's kind of what makes me love Shenmue-- they had a vision and they went for it. And we got some beautiful things as a result.
Yeah me too that’s what i like about it and you have to remember if it wasn’t for shenmue a lot of open-world games wouldn’t of existed

Do you think shenmue 4 will be better than 2

@spud1897 do you think if shenmue 3 had released in 03/04 it would’ve been revolutionary and innovative or there wasn’t really anything to add on
It would have been a natural progression without too many new innovations.

@spud1897 do you think the critics were right to give shenmue 3 a 6.7/10 if so explain why if not explain why me personally i see it as them just criticizing it over graphics
Personally 7.5 is where Shenmue 3 sits for me. I don't care too much about the graphics. Where it fell down was some very odd decisions in some of the mechanics design and the story telling.

A 7/10 is fair IMO

@spud1897 why do you think shenmue 3 didn’t progress the story by much do you think that was yu’s original vision for 3 considering his original vision was 7 games or was it because it was a compromised version and i got another question did shenmue 3 outsell 2 pls answer both questions and i’m sorry lol for keep asking you questions

@spud1897 why do you think shenmue 3 didn’t progress the story by much do you think that was yu’s original vision for 3 considering his original vision was 7 games or was it because it was a compromised version and i got another question did shenmue 3 outsell 2 pls answer both questions and i’m sorry lol for keep asking you questions
Because they had to spend 70% of the development time building the systems leaving precious little for anything else. This is why they need to use the Shenmue 3 system. It's already there. Don't waste funding on a new engine.

Not sure about sales. Shenmue 2 figures are patchy and we never got official Shenmue 3 sales.

Last edited:
As much criticism as Shenmue 3 gets (It's my least favorite in the series), what I will say is that objectively speaking it has the best ending of the trilogy by a wide margin. This might be a hot take, but my anticipation for Shenmue 4 is stronger than it was for 3 due to the fact that S4 is obviously setup to answer a lot of questions I have regarding the story. It's the true sequel to Shenmue that I've wanted this whole time.

Had Shenmue 2 been 5 discs long on the Dreamcast, it could have easily covered the story of what we know now as Shenmue III on the DC. Making what we know now as Shenmue 4, the real Shenmue III.

Last edited:
Had Shenmue 2 been 5 discs long on the Dreamcast, it could have easily covered the story of what we know now as Shenmue III on the DC. Making what we know now as Shenmue 4, the real Shenmue III.
That's true. Wasn't the fishing minigame initially worked for Shenmue 2?

Back