Random Shenmue III Thoughts

You should be from the start! Yu Suzuki is a genius! ;)
I had the same opinion with Inafune and Mighty No 9. and that did not work out so well. Legends or not, they still have to work with a limited budget and smaller team although, Yu is showing me he is making the right moves.

I have no worries what's so ever, the game has been shaping up to be more then I thought it was gonna be. I just want to see a proper polished trailer now.

Glad this is back!

Genuine Q. - Do you think Shenmue III's structure of handling content will change? By this I mean will it be like Yakuza in having a wealth of extra content which is sort of catagorised by a checklist? I kinda hope it doesn't while I do like Yakuza it did eventually feel like all I was doing was ticking boxes. I want the game to sort of just follow with circumstances and side content arising more natrually rather than being waypoints on a map.

I'm just wondering. Why didn't they keep the Slacker Backer running until Shenmue III's release? There's not even a set release date for it. I honestly think it was closed too early. But the only person to blame here is me. Damn it, should have done something a lot, lot earlier.

I'm just wondering. Why didn't they keep the Slacker Backer running until Shenmue III's release? There's not even a set release date for it. I honestly think it was closed too early. But the only person to blame here is me. Damn it, should have done something a lot, lot earlier.
They have enough cash at this point and are probably gearing up for release early next year.

Because the project stops benefiting from the slow drip feed of cash past a certain point. The team can't really do anything with the money when the game's close to launch.

Glad this is back!

Genuine Q. - Do you think Shenmue III's structure of handling content will change? By this I mean will it be like Yakuza in having a wealth of extra content which is sort of catagorised by a checklist? I kinda hope it doesn't while I do like Yakuza it did eventually feel like all I was doing was ticking boxes. I want the game to sort of just follow with circumstances and side content arising more natrually rather than being waypoints on a map.

I don't think there will be waypoints or anything, but I do think there will be more side objectives which is welcome.

Because the project stops benefiting from the slow drip feed of cash past a certain point. The team can't really do anything with the money when the game's close to launch.

That's true. Do you think they could still arrange it past the deadline date if I contact them? I know they'll probably take the money, but what about the reward? I hope for my sake, it is possible.

That's true. Do you think they could still arrange it past the deadline date if I contact them? I know they'll probably take the money, but what about the reward? I hope for my sake, it is possible.
I can't guarantee anything, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Just take what you have already saved and put it down before it ends.

Going from a blank check with technical limitation to Budget limitation with new leaps and bound vast technical progress. Any one find the cards that fate dealt Yu Suzuki quite Intriguing. Like is something/Destiny(maybe) trying to test the limits of his genius? Just some food for thoughts. :unsure:
Do you mean he had to express his genius in smartly implementing concepts,
while, now, he has to smartly use technological capabilities to bring concepts to life ?

If so, I think that it is more mixed, as he could improve the original project when jumping to the Dreamcast.
And, now there is the limitation of not having access to the complete inner part of the development tools.

But, yes, you have a point, this is still two complementary approaches to game design,
with the first being more about fine tuning the core of the game, while (i suppose)
the second works more on fine tuning something from the functionalities of a more constrained core.

Well looking at your case prima facie, you are wanting to give someone free money. That would usually mean they bite your hand off. I wanted to back the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter for 10,000 but the Japan Dinner reward was already full at that time in 2015. I campaigned on Twitter to get them to "add an extra seat at the table" for me. I had Cedric Biscay on board and everything. Here i was, begging people to take $10,000 from me! Life's pretty crazy when you look at things like that.

But a week later, 2 more dinner rewards were placed on offer. I would say, if you go about it the right way, be private and polite about it, you could get what you want. The only thing i would worry about are legalities, and reasons that they simply cannot let you donate in a private capacity. But, if you don't ask you don't get! So my advice is when you have the money ready to go, use social media to reach out to people like Cedric, Awesome Japan etc. and see if they can help.

Back