Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Before I take a break from the internet until I beat Shenmue 3, I figured I’d tell a funny Shenmue story.

I’d been playing the Shenmue remasters while my girlfriend watched. When I first started Shenmue I, she was just roasting the shit out of it and saying stuff like “damn this is your favorite game? This looks terrible!” Then the more she watched me play, comments like “yo I’m feeling this song” and “I like the vibe of this game” and just genuine laughter started to come out.

Soon after that, every day she’d ask when I’m booting up Shenmue. Her first real exposure to the series was in 2019 and she was hooked. I’m hoping Shenmue 3 can do the same for newcomers.

Whats your Shenmue 3 Checklist?

My Checklist for nov 19. 00.01:

🔶Have 6-pack in the fridge
🔶100% power on my controller
🔶Have a powerbank charged
🔶Put phone in Shenmue-mode
🔶Buy in enough candy
🔶Prepare my own notebook

I have my own notebook as well as some beer in the fridge. I may only get an hour or two tops each day this week so I'll be able to really dive in over Thanksgiving holiday next week.

We are excited to add a few copies of Shenmue 3 to our modest collection:

IMG_20191118_072141.jpg

Logging off y'all! See you in a few weeks.

I have my own notebook as well as some beer in the fridge. I may only get an hour or two tops each day this week so I'll be able to really dive in over Thanksgiving holiday next week.

We are excited to add a few copies of Shenmue 3 to our modest collection:

View attachment 5576

Logging off y'all! See you in a few weeks.
The cat be like " this is all mine, I own this Motherf@?~ker, especially this book:smirkcat:

So, those of us who didn't get the game today, wanna start a cult of sadness? Every day we curse the postgods and sacrifice bad games on an altar to please the new postgods. The ones who will take over to make sure everyone gets same day delivery of everything.

It's kind of surreal to say, but I'm playing Shenmue III...this is real life. Pinch me, we're finally here.

I just played for two hours. I'm pretty much up to where the demo ended. So far, so good. It's Shenmue through and through! :D

Never fear, no spoilers will be mentioned here.

But there is something comforting about having a long evening chat with Shenhua again :)

God, I hope this game does well in sales. I really do. I really hope it does well enough to get us to Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
I haven’t played yet since the game doesn’t unlock digitally until tomorrow and my Collector’s Edition doesn’t arrive until Thursday but it’s a bummer that the game didn’t end up being PS4 Pro enhanced. At least I’m also getting a PC code from my pledge.

Playing on PS4 Pro. Running at 30fps in game...although I think the cut scenes may have a higher frame rate about them. Cut scenes look more along the lines of 60fps.

Game looks nice on PS4. I'd say its probably running the equivalent of High preset settings on PC.

I do kind of miss 60fps though as a whole (I was spoilt by the PC trial version), but I committed to going for the Platinum for SIII so my first run will be PS4 all the way,

So far it's running well. Outside of general clipping and some pop in, I'm surprised how well it's running. Not a buggy mess and looks rather polished (or as polished as it could be)

Playing with the Japanese dub turned on...generally pretty happy with the line readings so far. The last thing I did was have a post-day Chat with Shenhua and it just brought a smile to my face to recollect with her and tell her more about Yokosuka.

I mean, yeah, it's Shenmue III. It's Shenmue for the modern age made on a budget yet surprisingly pulling it off. I'm gonna go catch some sleep right now as it is past 2am...and I'm not sure I can get the day off from work today as I might have to go in to the office and prepare wages :(

But I will get back to it as soon as possible...without question.

Have fun guys and girls of the Dojo.

Last edited:
I am setting my expectations for the game in check somewhat, not like super low but I am shooting around the quality of a solid 7/10 game, thats what I want to be satisfied. Give me a comfy little game I can relax to.

I saw some videos from the start of the game and I didn't saw the eyes moving during dialogues or small cutscenes, they may move in the main cutscenes but do they really don't move at all in others ?

Back