Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I just had the first fight, playing on hard and i didnt play the backer demo. It was a bit overwhelming.
What is the dodge button? :innocent:
L2 is a block right? Is it a dodge if you time / press it differently?

This isn't spoiler based, just my first 4 hour impressions.

The frame-rate is unlocked meaning it can go to 60fps and 30 depending on what you're looking at so, some minor stutter does crop up but it rarely drops below 30, which is great. I think they should just lock it to 30 ( in a patch ) and the micro-stutter will be gone.

Ryo moves like if you had the dreamcast animation with more refined, responsive controls- not bad.

The abrupt cuts with Ryo and Shenhua are, I think, more to do with budget as I noticed similar animations at points during the cuts repeating ( you'll know when you play it ).

It takes time to see the rain ( it comes on gradually and you'll hear it before you see it ). It took till 4 in game-days for it to rain for me which looked really nice.

Graphics are really good. Some low rez tetures and minor pop-in here and there but no more than any other game. What's really surprising is there are some really high-end looking textures as well ( AAA high quality ) which are really detailed. It's a very consistent looking game, but I did notice a weird shimmery effect on the grass
( it could be a bug as I only saw it once in my time with it ).

The little red circles that appear when you're looking at objects aren't as distracting as I thought they would be. They actually make it more smooth and fast to search between stuff ( no need to zoom right in ). And you can open so many things so early in the game. I'm really surprised by the amount of interaction, considering budget.

It still to early for what I think of the combat. It's not bad, though, slower than I thought it looked. The Snake tonic, to me, makes the combat a bit more forgiving. It's not cheap to buy, but I think it could encourage just spamming it when you need it so I'm not using any, at all.

NPC do have routines ( I've seen a few in different places doing different things. This may be down to story progression, though, as I haven't followed anyone to find out yet.

The music is awesome and varied, as expected, just like 1&2.

Overall, a bit rough round the edges (to be expected. Kickstarter ) but it's surprisingly quite polished and ambitious coming from it's small beginings.

Oh, and it definitely feels like Shenmue:D

Last edited:
Is there a bugs thread? I think we need to talk about the random music changes. Anyone else heading this? Very frustrating.

I just had the first fight, playing on hard and i didnt play the backer demo. It was a bit overwhelming.
What is the dodge button? :innocent:
L2 is a block right? Is it a dodge if you time / press it differently?
You have to double tap ( or push ) the left analogue stick in the direction you want to go. you can also dodge and block at the same time ( L2 -then left analogue stick ).

Is there a bugs thread? I think we need to talk about the random music changes. Anyone else heading this? Very frustrating.
The music changes depending on the part of the village/city you are in, the transitions are a bit rough but they are not random. Sometimes the music won‘t start for a while, I experienced that in Niaowu but it only occured once or twice.

I'm trying to do my PSN codes here at work with the app (stupid me should've done it last night, idiot) and the app keep saying that the server connection is lost.

Tried it on my work laptop (somehow, it isn't a blocked site) and the same damn error :mad:

BAH, he's going to bed at 9pm? He's missing out on some of the best interactions of this game.

That's my fear from most reviewers. They're gonna be so story focused and rushing beat to beat to pump out a review that they're actually gonna miss out on some of the best little moments the game has to offer.

Don't rush. Take your time with it. I'm doing that and I'm loving the hell out of it so far.

EDIT: Sorry I meant to quote the review in progress but I noticed it didn't quote the link. In the article he mentions the 9pm curfew as in goes to sleep at 9pm. If they're going to sleep at 9pm then they're missing out. That's all I'll say. Stay up late with the cool/dorky kids instead :D You'll be rewarded.

In a way, the game is inconsistently beautiful. Some of the character models look great. Other looks like cartoon characters. And yet, I'm actually kind of loving it for whatever reason. At least they're all unique...even if their designs are completely inconsistent and almost tier based. But then, Shenmue's always been kind of inconsistent in so many things that I kind of automatically forgive it.

I will give them credit though...they have definitely fixed some of the faces. Not entirely but they have made them look a little better than they once did (see the stonemason from the MAGIC trailer compared to the final game...he looks a little improved)
I know what you mean. I think the reason behind the character inconsistency is I heard Yu didn't have a lot of model sculptures, some were good at disney style and others realistic proportions, so he just made the most of it, for better or worse.

You can grab most of the herbs from Shenhua's house area...but does anyone know where I can find the Crow Dipper herb? I had one a few hours ago but didn't realise I wouldn't be able to find another one so i sold the complete set and now I am really struggling to find it.

Maybe this warrants a thread on its own?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
I don't think they grow back, need to play again later to be sure;)

Effective as of April 1, 2019, Sony no longer allows retailers to sell full digital game download codes.

Well that's just fucking great. Does anyone here know someone that would actually play the PC version of Shenmue 3 and possible even *GASP* like it that wouldn't have otherwise bought it themself? I want to buy a copy to support the game outside of the Kickstarter, but I'd really like to get the game into someone's hands if possible too.

If you know someone like this that's on the fence about Shenmue 3 or might enjoy the series but didn't plan to buy the game, please let me know and I'll send you an EGS code that you can give to them.

Lmao, did Corey Marshall even try during this outing? Probably my only major complaint so far, aside from the awkward jump cutting and dialogue between Ryo and Shenhua in the opening.

Minor complaints:

-The lucky hit ball handling like it's in Zero-G.

-Some stuttering.

-Game is pretty closed off in the first hour. You can't even go the the temple to train. I have to wait until 7 pm, and being able to train/spar would be nice. As is, it's bascially just chopping wood and lucky hit. Yeah, I can skip time, but that's not Shenmue.

Overall, I'm already enjoying the hell out of it. It's Shenmue through and through. I'm really surprised how well done the cut-scenes are to this point, and those are the parts where Ryo's emoting and animation is spot on. The English VA overall is actually very good, aside from Ryo.

Also, the first cutscene with the old lady when you're still looking for Yuan... :ROFLMAO:

Can't wait to jump back in after lunch.

Just got my CE. Found a partial rip on my collector edition outer sleeve at the back ( the middle of it, weird ). Last time I'm shopping at simply game. The fuckers:mad: The medallion is.... okay, definitely not metal, might be resin material. The light box is nice, though, and the inner CE box is beautiful.

The steelcase is also classy as fuck. Now just the pixnlove edition to arrive and that's me done.

Did anyone else who downloaded the soundtrack get files with gibberish names? Maybe it’s my computer but it’s just random characters.(edit: I unzipped it on my Mac and it’s Japanese characters which I thought was probably the issue. My PC couldn’t display them I guess.)

And more importantly Shenmue 3 is #13 on Amazon’s best selling PS4 games. And it seems to be climbing.

Did anyone else who downloaded the soundtrack get files with gibberish names? Maybe it’s my computer but it’s just random characters.(edit: I unzipped it on my Mac and it’s Japanese characters which I thought was probably the issue. My PC couldn’t display them I guess.)

And more importantly Shenmue 3 is #13 on Amazon’s best selling PS4 games. And it seems to be climbing.
The titles are all comprised of Japanese characters, so depending on your PC settings it may just come out as jibberish instead.

Back