Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Aside from some minors fixs I only wait an option to remove the red circles.
What kind of significant changes are you thinking about ?
Yeah, the red circles being removed would be nice for immersion's sake.

Other things I'd like:

- Options button to open the menu on PS4

- Option for 30fps lock, possibly

- Option to choose the date your adventure begins (wishful thinking, I know, but I'd love to be able to do a playthrough where I can set the day after a Shenmue 2 playthrough!)

- Some improvements to the music integration, although I'm not quite as fussed about this as some others.

I'm really glad that they got more fundings after the Kickstarter and could even implement more of the goals.
All of these features we have now - a lot of voiced NPCs who even have different lines depending on your mission,
the different arcade mini games, fishing, fighting, shops, environment, size, character design ...
are at least on a acceptable (or better) level. There is room for improvements and its not perfect, sure,
but it works and it feels like a real Shenmue game.
Imagine this game but only with the KS money and nothing else (- the money for the reward production and fees) ...
this game could have been super rough, like super super super rough.
Really makes me wonder as well how it'd have turned out without that additional funding. People elsewhere love to complain about the Kickstarter and I get why the game won't be for everyone but this was done on a comparatively tiny budget, and its a full Shenmue experience, with some legit wonderful graphics (which really shocked me, it looks damn good). Aside from maybe having a couple more background NPCs in a couple of areas in Bailu for atmosphere it feels pretty damn tight in most respects.
Crazy to look at the initial vid at E3 2015 and then the final game, its come a long way.

Yeah, the red circles being removed would be nice for immersion's sake.

Other things I'd like:

- Options button to open the menu on PS4

- Option for 30fps lock, possibly

- Option to choose the date your adventure begins (wishful thinking, I know, but I'd love to be able to do a playthrough where I can set the day after a Shenmue 2 playthrough!)

- Some improvements to the music integration, although I'm not quite as fussed about this as some others.

- Ability to zoom the items in the UI.

Can anyone please let me know if I'm not the only one having problems with QTEs and their incredibly ridiculous timing requirement? Without knowing the button beforehand it is straight up impossible. I also miss the old sound effects that were in 1&2. I'm not in Niaowu yet (almost there I think) but do the QTE's stay that way?

I'm still in Bailu Village and Level me up all the time. ^^ The last Monk in the Beginning is very hard.

Okay so I had to buy something for someone for 2000 Yuan in Bailu. I did so but... Could I have gotten it cheaper? (Being vague to not spoil anything).

I had like 3000 Yuan so it was no problem.. But still.. Feels like I could have gotten it cheaper for some reason. Mostly because there is an empty page in the notebook after finding out the price...........

Really makes me wonder as well how it'd have turned out without that additional funding. People elsewhere love to complain about the Kickstarter and I get why the game won't be for everyone but this was done on a comparatively tiny budget, and its a full Shenmue experience, with some legit wonderful graphics (which really shocked me, it looks damn good). Aside from maybe having a couple more background NPCs in a couple of areas in Bailu for atmosphere it feels pretty damn tight in most respects.
Crazy to look at the initial vid at E3 2015 and then the final game, its come a long way.

It saddens me that in some streams I was watching this week, people were still actively complaining about them getting further funding. Dude, if this game had been made for 6 million dollars, it would have been vastly different. I don't know if we would have had a fighting system in here to be honest (I think it would have been all QTE's at that point.) I don't know how many side activities we would have realistically had. Hell, you can see the difference night and day as to how much of a drastic jump it took after Deep Silver came aboard.

They literally went out and found money to make the game better in every regard. The KS helped to get it off the ground and put investors mind at ease that there was something here to invest in....and people are still complaining they were sell outs and shady con men? For making a deal to make their game better in the long run for us?

Some people are fucking idiots who don't know what the hell they're talking and have less of an idea what it takes to make a game in the first place.

Last edited:
It saddens me that in some streams I was watching this week, people were still actively complaining about them getting further funding. Dude, if this game had been made for 6 million dollars, it would have been vastly different. I don't know if we would have had a fighting system in here to be honest (I think it would have been all QTE's at that point.) I don't know how many side activities we would have realistically had. Hell, you can see the difference night and day as to how much of a drastic jump it took after Deep Silver came aboard.

They literally went out and found money to make the game better in every regard. The KS helped to get it off the ground and put investors mind at ease that there was something here to invest in....and people are still complaining they were sell outs and shady con men? For making a deal to make their game better in the long run for us?

Some people are fucking idiots who don't know what the hell they're talking and have less of an idea what it takes to make a game in the first place.

Despite the funding, I feel really disappointed that everything that Yu Suzuki wanted to do the most... Was basically scrapped to the trash. Namely Baisha, the siege and the character perspective system.

They literally went out and found money to make the game better in every regard. The KS helped to put investors mind at ease that there was something here to invest in....and people are still complaining they were sell outs and shady con men? For making a deal to make their game better in the long run for us?

No, no, you are totally wrong. The reviews, audience reaction and sales numbers would have been way better
if they designed Shenmue 3 as a strict 5 mil story path graphic novel game with the 2015 graphics
where you just jump to the important locations and the game ends after four hours.

K640_HgNvBY8DutfG5YOQEP6D3YpY4gbMJrb44x3nPeg3RZM small.png

Despite the funding, I feel really disappointed that everything that Yu Suzuki wanted to do the most... Was basically scrapped to the trash. Namely Baisha, the siege and the character perspective system.

That's fair enough. I'm sure there is a lot that he wanted to do that he couldn't do. I think we're all disappointed in at least something with this game. I know I have my list of small disappointments that I will write about once I'm done with it.

At least you're not complaining as to how they swindled us :D

It's almost like game development is a really difficult thing....but nah, "they're just con men who sold out and took our money, bro. They didn't care about trying to make a good game...they're just con men"

I too am saddened he couldn't realise the full vision for SIII. But at the same time, I'm still impressed by how much there is in here. I'm still of the belief they should have just scrapped the English dub and used the funding for that elsewhere though.

Oh well, what can you do? I'm impressed by how much is in here though for what is obviously a tight budget.

No, no, you are totally wrong. The reviews, audience reaction and sales numbers would have been way better
if they designed Shenmue 3 as a strict 5 mil story path graphic novel game with the 2015 graphics
where you just jump to the important locations and the game ends after four hours.

View attachment 5844

The sad thing is that while you're joking. They probably would have liked it more if it had been like that. Less work for them to actually play through it and slap a number on it as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
If you're in Niaowu, when you get to the QTE chase scene withthe red snake thugs purposely miss the QTE to catch the girl falling off the ladder! She has let's say an interesting recovery :LOL:

EDIT:
On an unrelated note, half of me wants to hurry up and finish the game just so I can read what everyone's talking about in the spoiler forum. But the other half doesn't want it eeeeennnndddddddd. lol

Last edited:
Back