Random Shenmue III Thoughts

yea I feel like he’s MIA.

Yeah, you should be able to see him in that top screenshot, he dead.

When playing yesterday, I noticed I couldn't find Dejing on Saturday or Sunday for the forklift job, but then he reappeared on Monday. I wonder if the job is only available on weekdays?

Not sure if that will help regarding progressing with the cutscene you're looking for, though.

I've just worked on both Saturday and Sunday, so that isn't it. I think it's just broken.

yea I feel like he’s MIA.
Not sure if this is going to help but... I had a... Scene... With him and someone else when I went up to the highest floor of the hotel by going over the bridge from the arcade. I just ran around the balcony and on the other side of the hotel the scene played out. This was just after I got the "quest" so no idea if it has to do with that or not.

Not sure if this is going to help but... I had a... Scene... With him and someone else when I went up to the highest floor of the hotel by going over the bridge from the arcade. I just ran around the balcony and on the other side of the hotel the scene played out. This was just after I got the "quest" so no idea if it has to do with that or not.
I saw that too. But he still wasn’t there after the fact.

Phew ... i really dont have any problems with the character designs, the level grind, the stamina system
or the dialogues or whatever, i had no problem with Bailu and i like the atmosphere in the Niaowu shopping streets
... but that framerate in Niaowu really is ... something. Feels like i'm playing on PS3 hardware,
the whole area is clearly not optimized and the uncapped framerate doesnt help at all.
If you spin the camera around in the shopping streets you can see how the performance is changing
between okayish and super stuttering all the time. I can live with almost everything else, its good enough for me,
but the performance is really not a outstanding feature of this game.

Phew ... i really dont have any problems with the character designs, the level grind, the stamina system
or the dialogues or whatever, i had no problem with Bailu and i like the atmosphere in the Niaowu shopping streets
... but that framerate in Niaowu really is ... something. Feels like i'm playing on PS3 hardware,
the whole area is clearly not optimized and the uncapped framerate doesnt help at all.
If you spin the camera around in the shopping streets you can see how the performance is changing
between okayish and super stuttering all the time. I can live with almost everything else, its good enough for me,

You playing on regular PS4 or on the Pro?

Really I’ve had no frame rate issues at all?

Alright after like 10 hours I left Bailu

My thoughs on the bad things:
- I don't like the design of the Shenmue tree. I would like something with more visual quality. Actually I liked more the one of S2 so that's not cool...
- The "oh, a list with names on it, and there's a red line, WHAT COULD THIS MEAN?" was very stupid. Felt like watching Dora the explorer
- Some QTE are broken
- It's a shame there's no Sega games on the arcade, but I suppose it's part of futures dlc so it's alright I guess.
- I would like to see a few more NPCs in that "gambling street" like S2. At least watching. Felt super lonely.

I completelly loved Bailu tho, so my score it's a 8.8

- I don't like the design of the Shenmue tree. I would like something with more visual quality. Actually I liked more the one of S2 so that's not cool...
- The "oh, a list with names on it, and there's a red line, WHAT COULD THIS MEAN?" was very stupid. Felt like watching Dora the explorer
- Some QTE are broken
- It's a shame there's no Sega games on the arcade, but I suppose it's part of futures dlc so it's alright I guess.
- I would like to see a few more NPCs in that "gambling street" like S2. At least watching. Felt super lonely.

LMAO at that dora the explorer bit. That part drove me nuts too.

- Some QTE are broken

I’m right with you on the Shenmue tree. It looks like it could be a flowering oak or something like that. The original Shenmue tree looked ancient with a very thick trunk. Now it’s a copy paste tree with pink blossoms.

I’m right with you on the Shenmue tree. It looks like it could be a flowering oak or something like that. The original Shenmue tree looked ancient with a very thick trunk. Now it’s a copy paste tree with pink blossoms.
About the Shenmue tree

Totally. When I wrote that I was thinking more in the flowers/blossoms, but yea I noticed the oak too. That favourite tree of Shenhua (when she go to rest and you can see the oak's mark) it's the same oak than Shenmue. I know it's silly but it really pissed me off.

Finally started exploring and getting around Niaowu. There sure is a lot to do here, and so much to explore and that's only just in the first part!

I also had the pleasure of enjoying all of the phone conversations too. Ryo talking to Guizhang about Lishao Tao was a particular highlight, especially when I chose the "beautiful" option. These phone conversations have been a real highlight. Not only are they a huge dose of nostalgia, they're also a great way of letting you figure out what you want Ryo's character to be. How you want him to act, I enjoy that. It's a great way to see how far he has come as well. Especially given his bittersweet conversation with Nozomi.

You playing on regular PS4 or on the Pro?

PS4 Pro and i'm super picky when it comes to fps.
I know what locked 30 and 60 fps with a correct frame time line should look and feel like
and Shenmue 3's framerate is not even close. The framerate is unlocked but it never reaches stable 60 fps
and its not at 30 fps. Niaowu needs probably way more of the hardware power in the streets
so the difference between high and low framerate is even bigger than in Bailu
because depending on where you look at there is a huge drop or spike in the performance.

The game is full with choppiness and stuttering, its pretty much impossible to spin the camera around
slowly without any clear hiccups. And thats a clear sign of a unoptimized game
and the decision of YS Net to let the framerate do whatever it wants.
And on top of all that you have the shopping streets where NPC's spawn 2 meters in front of you like we are in 2001 again.
Again, i have no problem with all the other stuff but the technical performance side is below average level.

Last edited:
Back