Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Glad I wasn't the only one who had a go with Shenmue in mind.

ryorxkqj.png

Incredible creation tool. Being able to get results like this in about an hour or so is amazing, but being able to do it from a web browser? Game changer.

YsNet should definitely be investigating this tech as a possibility for Shenmue IV, though there's no guarantee it'll be right for the approach they want to take in regards to the art design. Remembering the many debates through Shenmue III's development about how accurate Ryo did or did not look, a shift to realism would probably mean encores based on personal subjective taste.

In any case, the full release of the Metahumans platform will allow for downloading the source file of the models you've created, meaning game artists can change designs to exact specifications in 3D modelling software - so characters can look more like themselves if the creation tool can't get them all the way.

Shenmue IV using this tech would unfortunately mean having to wave goodbye to the hyper-stylised stuff we saw in III, depending on how far you can push the rigging before it breaks. I'd really like to see a matured 'Gen 2' version of that style (assuming that's what the current Shenmue IV pitch looks like) using current builds of UE4 or even UE5 when it releases, but in terms of creating great looking characters fast... not sure Metahumans can be beat.
Looking good spags. I see you ran into the same problem I had, couldn't find spikey hair :)

The software is very impressive and the foundation is solid. I think a year from now, it will be mindblowing.

Have you created any other characters?

That’s a definite game changer. More time on gameplay the better. The whole thing seems like a match made in heaven for Shenmue.

Looking good spags. I see you ran into the same problem I had, couldn't find spikey hair :)

The software is very impressive and the foundation is solid. I think a year from now, it will be mindblowing.

Have you created any other characters?
Yeah, the prefab hair options are lacking at the moment but that's small potatoes considering how genuinely revolutionary the rest of the tool is. In practice 3D artists can just take the source models and construct eyebrows/hair/facial hair however they want once the full platform launches, using the same tech used to create the prefabs. I think this is using UE4's new strand hair system.

Haven't tried any other characters yet, I just wanted to take a preliminary shot at something vaguely Ryo-like as my first little test outing while my session lasted (think it's limited to an hour right now, with a short cooldown period between sessions).

Might have a shot at either Ren or Shenhua next, but I'm not done with Ryo yet either. I want to have another go with refinements to the brow, nose, mouth, and jaw once I've got more experience.

YsNet should definitely be investigating this tech as a possibility for Shenmue IV, though there's no guarantee it'll be right for the approach they want to take in regards to the art design. Remembering the many debates through Shenmue III's development about how accurate Ryo did or did not look, a shift to realism would probably mean encores based on personal subjective taste.

In any case, the full release of the Metahumans platform will allow for downloading the source file of the models you've created, meaning game artists can change designs to exact specifications in 3D modelling software - so characters can look more like themselves if the creation tool can't get them all the way.

Shenmue IV using this tech would unfortunately mean having to wave goodbye to the hyper-stylised stuff we saw in III, depending on how far you can push the rigging before it breaks. I'd really like to see a matured 'Gen 2' version of that style (assuming that's what the current Shenmue IV pitch looks like) using current builds of UE4 or even UE5 when it releases, but in terms of creating great looking characters fast... not sure Metahumans can be beat.
Yes, I often find the more realistic the depiction the more critical animation becomes. As humans we are pretty good at spotting or realizing when something looks unnatural and while I love the look of these stock models and definitely think it’s technology worth investigating, the later becomes even more critical.

Whats exciting to me is a lot of these solutions can really help an AA production like Shenmue 4 ramp up to scale especially now with a framework in place after Shenmue 3.

CC49AC6B-F3FE-4C9E-B8B0-0460C84BC051.jpeg
found this while scrolling through Twitter and it makes me wonder if there’s already some sort of deal in place, obviously Cedric can’t confirm whether there is but It has been a few months since he confirmed pitching was going on and even said there’s a video of Shenmue IV with amazing graphics and is filled with much more stuff than Shenmue 3. Perhaps the video will be used as a teaser at E3? Just speculating at this point

View attachment 11123
found this while scrolling through Twitter and it makes me wonder if there’s already some sort of deal in place, obviously Cedric can’t confirm whether there is but It has been a few months since he confirmed pitching was going on and even said there’s a video of Shenmue IV with amazing graphics and is filled with much more stuff than Shenmue 3. Perhaps the video will be used as a teaser at E3? Just speculating at this point
I really love that he bothered to reply even when it's just to say that he can't comment. It really means a lot simply to know that we aren't being ignored or forgotten.

"No comment" is usually anything but that these days.

"Still pitching" or "Still going" would've been a bit more in line with what was said before. The fact he's more closed off about it tells me that perchance a publisher is interested or even has bought into it, thus a possible NDA? Only a couple of months til E3.

Maybe we should keep our eyes peeled for forklifts again?

"No comment" is usually anything but that these days.

"Still pitching" or "Still going" would've been a bit more in line with what was said before. The fact he's more closed off about it tells me that perchance a publisher is interested or even has bought into it, thus a possible NDA? Only a couple of months til E3.

Maybe we should keep our eyes peeled for forklifts again?
It's what Yuzo Koshiro said when asked if he was involved with SoR 4

and he was :)

Do we have anyone who has close contact to anyone close to Yu for shenmue 4 related things?

Do we have anyone who has close contact to anyone close to Yu for shenmue 4 related things?
If we do, we'll need to get them really drunk and interrogate them on a stream as a matter of urgency.

This might be a false analogy, but for those who are worried about Suzuki's age in regards to Shenmue, keep in mind that Martin Campbell is in his seventies and still directs movies and TV shows. Albeit his last work was in 2014, but it does not change the point.

This might be a false analogy, but for those who are worried about Suzuki's age in regards to Shenmue, keep in mind that Martin Campbell is in his seventies and still directs movies and TV shows. Albeit his last work was in 2014, but it does not change the point.
I think it’s a bit of a red herring as few film directors ever continue to direct when they are 70’s and above (Scorsese, Woody Allen and Sydney Lumet) come to mind. I am sure someone can correct me but it’s even rarer for video games and that could be a product of it being a newer medium but as it deals with technology and generally very long hours, Suzuki already is a bit of an outlier given his age.

I think it’s a bit of a red herring as few film directors ever continue to direct when they are 70’s and above (Scorsese, Woody Allen and Sydney Lumet) come to mind. I am sure someone can correct me but it’s even rarer for video games and that could be a product of it being a newer medium but as it deals with technology and generally very long hours, Suzuki already is a bit of an outlier given his age.
Remember that he is in japan, where most work into their mid 60s, and even after that they are usually pushed/encouraged to be a taxi driver or something. Down there the work doesn't end for some until they're nearing 80.

Remember that he is in japan, where most work into their mid 60s, and even after that they are usually pushed/encouraged to be a taxi driver or something. Down there the work doesn't end for some until they're nearing 80.
Certainly that may be all true, but you have few games directed by 60 plus year olds in the director chair. If we have to wait until Yu is in his 80’s to get Shenmue complete, I’m afraid to say we are in bad shape.

Certainly that may be all true, but you have few games directed by 60 plus year olds in the director chair. If we have to wait until Yu is in his 80’s to get Shenmue complete, I’m afraid to say we are in bad shape.
I guess I can see that, I believe suzuki needs some oversight from other directors or creatives in the industry if he is to continue working on the Shenmue series for many more years.

I think it’s a bit of a red herring as few film directors ever continue to direct when they are 70’s and above (Scorsese, Woody Allen, and Sydney Lumet) come to mind. I am sure someone can correct me but it’s even rarer for video games and that could be a product of it being a newer medium but as it deals with technology and generally very long hours, Suzuki already is a bit of an outlier given his age.
Fair enough. As I stated before, I acknowledge that I might be making a false analogy and/or dichotomy. While not quite as old as Suzuki (As they are in their fifties), Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yuji Naka, Tomonobu Itagaki, Edward Boon, and Toshihiro Nagoshi still develop video games.

In any case, it's not something I am too worried about. The only person who can tell Suzuki to retire is Suzuki himself.

Back