Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

He can work toward making a new game a possibility like he did with Shenmue 3, but ultimately it's all up to SEGA.

Sega is the one you should ask for Shenmue updates....

That's the saddest of all truths...

How I wish Shenmue escaped the shackles of Sammy-Sega once and for all. Even an indie publisher gives more hope than them.

I think we've all been highly disappointed in Sega's treatment of Shenmue. Were it not for a bunch of indie developers, we wouldn't be seeing remakes or new instalments in many of their classic franchises (Shenmue, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon etc). That said, let's not forget they:

- Loaned Yu Suzuki the Shenmue IP to make Shenmue 3
- Gave us HD ports of the first two games on modern consoles
- Helped create the Shenmue anime

Yes they've not really been as helpful as we'd wished but for a company who we thought wanted to see the back of Shenmue, they've not done too badly.

I'd prefer if they could just throw Yu Suzuki the funds or partial funds to help get the franchise finished once and for all. My guess is it wouldn't cost half the amount that a Yakuza game takes to develop.

The ININ Games tweet could be a hint they may know that something is cooking over at YS Net. Whether they’re publishing Shenmue 4 or if it’s 110 or a new publisher, who knows?

It could be a trolling, but I can’t imagine why they’d do that given their ties with Air Twister. Trolling what is arguably Yu Suzuki’s biggest fan following (and by extension, the main audience to support Air Twister) makes little sense.

“You might have to wait a bit for an answer! ; )” If it is indeed a tease (that winky face!), I take this to mean we won’t hear anything in 2023 but maybe next year.

I have the feeling the tease is very real. Granted it is very vague, but after the 110 teases and everything that was connected with it, I don't think they would do a troll tease that easy.

I am willing to accept the possibility that nothing is happening behind closed doors but still.... man what if Shenmue IV gets announced in the following months out of nowhere with a near timeframe for release? :)

Just imagine! It would certainly destroy the Dojo for days and days after the announcement! :)

... or better: They (whoever they are) are willing to finance two installments to end the series. Wouldn't it be kind of a relief to know that the series will get an end? But on the other hand it would be also a kind of goodbye of some sort. A span of half of an lifetime of gaming/waiting/wishing/supporting/(complaining - just a bad joke :D ) etc. would come to an end. Okay, I am rambling. Don't take the second half to serious, I am just bored at work and nostalgic.

I think we've all been highly disappointed in Sega's treatment of Shenmue. Were it not for a bunch of indie developers, we wouldn't be seeing remakes or new instalments in many of their classic franchises (Shenmue, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon etc). That said, let's not forget they:

- Loaned Yu Suzuki the Shenmue IP to make Shenmue 3
- Gave us HD ports of the first two games on modern consoles
- Helped create the Shenmue anime

Yes they've not really been as helpful as we'd wished but for a company who we thought wanted to see the back of Shenmue, they've not done too badly.

I'd prefer if they could just throw Yu Suzuki the funds or partial funds to help get the franchise finished once and for all. My guess is it wouldn't cost half the amount that a Yakuza game takes to develop.

Well, in their golden days, Sega was a company that, unlike Nintendo, didn't rely on iterations of their surefire franchises, but rather channeled their creativity into new things. If they had cared too much about their old franchises, Shenmue probably wouldn't exist, and we would have gotten Phantasy Star VII instead :-D.

Current day Sega is a different beast, probably because their creative muscle has been greatly reduced, and turned much more conservative. Thus they seem to have gotten comfortable with milking two franchises to death (Yakuza and Sonic). That don't do super big numbers but have steady sales, so that the company is financially stable.

In that context, I also have an overall positive position into what they have allowed with Shenmue 3. From now on, what I would ask of them would be the same they did with the latest game if YSnet finds a way of developing a new installment. Or, if the time comes when Yu Suzuki retires or gives up, and there is the intention of releasing the original scripts and/or pre-production materials to tell the rest of the story, Sega doesn't pose any problem.

Well, in their golden days, Sega was a company that, unlike Nintendo, didn't rely on iterations of their surefire franchises, but rather channeled their creativity into new things. If they had cared too much about their old franchises, Shenmue probably wouldn't exist, and we would have gotten Phantasy Star VII instead :-D.

Current day Sega is a different beast, probably because their creative muscle has been greatly reduced, and turned much more conservative. Thus they seem to have gotten comfortable with milking two franchises to death (Yakuza and Sonic). That don't do super big numbers but have steady sales, so that the company is financially stable.

That was the result of Sammy and later Toshihiro Nagoshi strategy.
Prior to them we got amazing masterpieces like Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRf, Outrun 2, Virtua Fighter 4 etc. even after the end of the Dreamcast.
But the moment Sammy took control, closed the majority on internal teams, and let only Nagoshi do his thing, company transformed and now relies on (and milk) just a few franchises like Sonic,Yakuza and Total War.
Sure the company is now financial stable, but creativity and variety (and in some case quality) suffered a lot.

A "Shenmue" like game (a revolutionary experience that push the boundary of the whole media) could never be created in the current enviroment.
But probably even less ambitious games are impossible to make in the current Sega. Look at all the IPs that are licensed externally to third party companies like Panzer Dragoon and Streets of Rage, games that would require low budgets to be created internally, and still...

Last edited:
But probably even less ambitious games are impossible to make in the current Sega. Look at all the IPs that are licensed externally to third party companies like Panzer Dragoon and Streets of Rage, games that would require low budgets to be created internally, and still...
Chao Garden GO! (Android/iPhone)
😭

Is this user impersonating YS? I’m very confused since it’s mostly just PR stuff, but they reply to people in the comments.

We've seen too many trolling before, but if this one is fake it took its time to be elaborated. Stating 'follow our Shenmue account' and not linking about Air Twister triggered red flag for me.
The good side is that this will be confirmed or debunked quick.
Already debunked. You were quick there, spud.

99% didn’t think it was real and the associated Shenmue page looks faker, but the mostly PR about Air Twister threw me off and led me to believe maybe someone’s running a new social media account for Ys Net. The responses from the account did not ring true for me, however, especially in response to a fan asking if a DC port is coming and “YS” insisting “soon.”

If S4 happens and has forklift driving again, I want this shirt to be wearable.

View attachment 18695
I want my forklift operator title redone like that instead the shitty standarized Canary Gov. & Metal Industry Fed. template it is. But this one took less effort that the Shenmue one, and can be purchased if you have the contacts.

@mjqjazzbar one must concede that the Air Twister DC part and moreover coming soon was smile inducer (half of a smile at least) But after that, I damn them for trolling. Damn.
That aside, and just theorizing, a DC port would look not too far from the actual visuals and this isn't due AT graphics being poor but the last Sega console being a beast at 3D graphics performance, reaching some Wii era standards.
Now I kind of want it, and Yu Suzuki owes it to us, the old DC users sold to its fate.

There has been nearly 40°C today, high humidity. My head inside is a steakhouse.

It would certainly be cool. One can imagine any YS exclusive for the Dreamcast selling out quickly and fetching an impressive price but probably not of interest to him.

Back