Random Shenmue Thoughts

Best I can guess, it’s either a Japan-specific licensing issue or YS has had some kind of falling out with somebody at Sega. The former seems a lot more likely.
I wouldn't discard the latter, as recently after some rushed news about "Sega leaving NFT behind" there were more development at it with some executive claiming:
- They aren't stepping out of blockchain, their network still working atm and their token ROSE stills circulating quite stable in price compared to others.
- Its gonna be a niche for lesser known IPs, without the momentum of the trending ones like Sonic, RGG or Persona.

That statement puts Virtua Fighter, which started the ecosystem in a compromised position (again), probably they're stepping off from the previously announced VF eSports, and also Yu Suzuki as consultant gets to be ran by the horses.

I thought when read that, what an ugly move, typical hydra-faction-confronting Sega without a common concensed declarations line for the media.

https://gizmodo.com/sega-boss-nft-games-blockchain-shuji-utsumi-1850615331

Last edited:
Strange indeed. My initial thought was that maybe they were planning a rerelease, but the fact that it’s still available in other regions would suggest otherwise.

Best I can guess, it’s either a Japan-specific licensing issue or YS has had some kind of falling out with somebody at Sega. The former seems a lot more likely.
I'll keep an eye on the UK/EU one. If it gets pulled from there then there's definitely something wider going on.

I'll keep an eye on the UK/EU one. If it gets pulled from there then there's definitely something wider going on.
I’m unable to find the game on the Japanese Xbox store either (I tried searching for both “Shenmue” and “シェンムー”, for those wondering). Interestingly, it is still available on the Japanese PlayStation store, which would appear to rule out the possibility of a licensing issue.

It could be that Sega is unable to pull it from there at the moment due to it being part of the current sale (although, if that we’re the case and they’d been planning to take it down leading up to this, one wonders why they’d consent to it being part of the sale in the first place).

Definitely very strange.

I don't think the Xbox version was available in Japan, was it?

anybody has a clue why it was never released for the Nintendo Switch?

I know Shenmue III had investment from Sony so it stayed console exclusive, which is a shame, a big part of the fans are in the XBOX

maybe they are going to release the remakes they were planned but were scrapped out?

lets hope!
That seems to be off the table for most of people but personally I always found it similar to when FFVII remake appeared for the first time as a PS3 techdemo, the internet broke and Square Enix answer was "there's no plans in mind, its just a techdemo". Few years later, well... We got the remake.
On the bad side, Sega statement was that "implied too much work" and that's pure Sega in the bad sense.
The recent date of the ports release and the anime reboot with posterior cancelation played against a S1&2 remake chance. But its also possible that the anime good reception and the implied reboot with reconnings included gave them some thoughts about the lP and its visuals. A game remake with anime celshading would attract lots of new players.

anybody has a clue why it was never released for the Nintendo Switch?

I know Shenmue III had investment from Sony so it stayed console exclusive, which is a shame, a big part of the fans are in the XBOX
Not a clue from my side. Always thought it was a bad decision to not release it for Nintendo Switch. Maybe with Sonic and Persona getting trendy they started to think into stepping off the N? idk...

That seems to be off the table for most of people but personally I always found it similar to when FFVII remake appeared for the first time as a PS3 techdemo, the internet broke and Square Enix answer was "there's no plans in mind, its just a techdemo". Few years later, well... We got the remake.
On the bad side, Sega statement was that "implied too much work" and that's pure Sega in the bad sense.
The recent date of the ports release and the anime reboot with posterior cancelation played against a S1&2 remake chance. But its also possible that the anime good reception and the implied reboot with reconnings included gave them some thoughts about the lP and its visuals. A game remake with anime celshading would attract lots of new players.

Not a clue from my side. Always thought it was a bad decision to not release it for Nintendo Switch. Maybe with Sonic and Persona getting trendy they started to think into stepping off the N? idk...

Shenmue needs to reach a wider audience

A minority of players will say its boring and slow paced, I was among them when I first played it back in 2019, to the point I made several threads on gamefaqs to complain on how boring it was, then I finally got hooked into it and now Im the biggest fan

Its definitely not something youll like right from the start, I think the anime may help to gather interest in the people outside of the retro gaming world

Shenmue needs to reach a wider audience.
Depending on how its done. Im open to some changes, since it has been changing since the sequel. But a big leap in gameplay that means a downplay in what it is at the very core... (refer to last post by Kenzo, the feedback recieved while correct in forms just resulta depressing to me)... I would prefer to leave it as it is, even if that means no S4. I would like anime visuals and realistic too.
A minority of players will say its boring and slow paced, I was among them when I first played it back in 2019, to the point I made several threads on gamefaqs to complain on how boring it was, then I finally got hooked into it and now Im the biggest fan.
May I know exactly what aspect made you change your mind?

Its definitely not something youll like right from the start, I think the anime may help to gather interest in the people outside of the retro gaming world
In my case, it was instant liking as it was at original release date and was heavily promoted/hyped. Maybe it also helped the game company, a good friend who was also hooked into it.

Damned spanish corrector of shit

May I know exactly what aspect made you change your mind?

@Seaman

I dont remember where exactly it was the point of no turning back for me

but I do remember the first hours being boring as youre knocking every door (without knowing what to do) and trying to find clues about the black car and how clunky the controls are for a first timer in 2019 (when I played) or 2023

I know Shenmue since my teenage days as I was 14 years old in 1999, 15yo in 2000

I think things started to become interesting when you are more connected to that little world, living Ryo's life day by day

thats when you go to the tatoo parlor, perhaps a little earlier where youre looking for the sailors and go to Jazz Bar play snooker and fight them in the Heartbeats bar

then things evolve a little more with Nozomi and her relationship with Ryo

I know for sure that after what Etsuko Sekine did I was totally on Ryo's side and couldnt stop anymore

thats the point I dont spoil to people when I want to convince them to play the game

I dont know how accurate achievements are in the XBOX

but.... looking at my own profile I found out I beat the 70 man battle in 2020

I was thinking I didnt put the effort into the combat back then, but I actually did lol

its sad only

10.63% of the players beat Chai and completed the game

10.91% saved Nozomi from the Mad Angels

13.28% got the job at the harbor

15.45% found the phoenix mirror in the basement

17.53% reached Yokosuka Harbor

18.73% got the letter from Yuanda Zhu translated

19.64% found Charlie in the tatoo parlor

23.99% learned a combat move

this means, out of all the players who downloaded the game from the gamepass when it was available, or purchased it

80% dropped it before getting to the 3 blades quest

I dont know how accurate achievements are in the XBOX

but.... looking at my own profile I found out I beat the 70 man battle in 2020

I was thinking I didnt put the effort into the combat back then, but I actually did lol

its sad only

10.63% of the players beat Chai and completed the game

10.91% saved Nozomi from the Mad Angels

13.28% got the job at the harbor

15.45% found the phoenix mirror in the basement

17.53% reached Yokosuka Harbor

18.73% got the letter from Yuanda Zhu translated

19.64% found Charlie in the tatoo parlor

23.99% learned a combat move

this means, out of all the players who downloaded the game from the gamepass when it was available, or purchased it

80% dropped it before getting to the 3 blades quest
This kind of thing is pretty normal, really, though the PS4 Trophy stats actually make for some fairly pleasant reading.

30.7% of players completed Shenmue 1, which is a higher percentage than completed Horizon Forbidden West (30.5%). 35.4% of players completed Shenmue 2, which is a higher percentage than completed Final Fantasy 7 Remake (35.3%). Surprisingly, though, it’s Shenmue 3 that leads the way in this regard, with its 42.7% completion rate placing it ahead of Uncharted 4 (37.8%), The Last of Us (39%), and Ghost of Tsushima (40%).

Clearly, it’s not such a bad game after all!

Sauce

This kind of thing is pretty normal, really, though the PS4 Trophy stats actually make for some fairly pleasant reading.

30.7% of players completed Shenmue 1, which is a higher percentage than completed Horizon Forbidden West (30.5%). 35.4% of players completed Shenmue 2, which is a higher percentage than completed Final Fantasy 7 Remake (35.3%). Surprisingly, though, it’s Shenmue 3 that leads the way in this regard, with its 42.7% completion rate placing it ahead of Uncharted 4 (37.8%), The Last of Us (39%), and Ghost of Tsushima (40%).

Clearly, it’s not such a bad game after all!

Sauce

perhaps the % is much lower in the XBOX because the games were in the GAMEPASS for quite some time

I meant to say, they probably installed, had a look and dropped

perhaps the % is much lower in the XBOX because the games were in the GAMEPASS for quite some time

I meant to say, they probably installed, had a look and dropped
Quite possibly, but then I’d imagine that’s also the case with other games that have been part of Game Pass.

Phil Spencer has to take the blame for that one I'm afraid. Yu offered it a few times, Phil kept turning it down. Yu striked up a partnership with Sony instead.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Well, I made it to Hong Kong. I had forgotten that the exchange rate from Yen to HKD sucks. The game shortages you roughly around half of what you are suppose to get. I left Japan with 81,686 yen. Transfer that to HKD (Hong Kong Dollar) that would be 4,320.6. The game only gave me 2,717. The exchange rate of 1 Yen to HKD in 1987 was .0529. Not that this matters as within about 15 minutes your bag gets stolen and you lose all your money

I was wondering is there any cheat engine codes like the disable collision for Shenmue 1 or programs like that for Shenmue 2 and 3. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Well, I made it to Hong Kong. I had forgotten that the exchange rate from Yen to HKD sucks. The game shortages you roughly around half of what you are suppose to get. I left Japan with 81,686 yen. Transfer that to HKD (Hong Kong Dollar) that would be 4,320.6. The game only gave me 2,717. The exchange rate of 1 Yen to HKD in 1987 was .0529. Not that this matters as within about 15 minutes your bag gets stolen and you lose all your money
You can spend all your money at the beggining souvenirs stands previous to the bag event, those stay at your collection which pressumably are Ryo's pockets. Then you can sell them at any pawnshop and with it start growing with bets, pachinko and arm-wrestling. Money is far from being an issue in S2.

I was wondering is there any cheat engine codes like the disable collision for Shenmue 1 or programs like that for Shenmue 2 and 3. Thanks in advance
Search tool is your friend :)
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...-walls-tools-for-shenmue-i-ii-re-release.674/

Phil Spencer has to take the blame for that one I'm afraid. Yu offered it a few times, Phil kept turning it down. Yu striked up a partnership with Sony instead.

damn I wish Bill Gates had brought SEGA back in the day and made a major investment in Shenmue as the leading franchise of the XBOX

not having Shenmue 1 in the XBOX made 2 feel very disconnected, the diggest movie just doesnt hit the points the game does to stablish a connection of the player to Ryo's life

Shenmue 1 is fundamental to turn 2 a more deep experience, without it is like moving from Japan to Hong Kong without memories of home, family and friends.

Shenmue seems to be cursed from a marketing perspective, its like none of the executives played it and Yu somehow failed to explain them things they needed to know.

Back