Random Shenmue Thoughts

In regards to Joy she seems like the girl that is interested in any tough guy type. I am sure that she and Ren are hooking up.

I dont think Joy is that kind of woman, neither I see her like that

Shes well known in the pier because her father owns some business there, so shes of a wealth family

her relationship with Ren is because of Wong who she has a friendship, so Wong being a gang member of the Heavens because he is homeless, must be supported by Joy somehow

its implied Joy has a friendship with Wong right at the beginning when the bag is stolen and she laughs at Ryo being fooled by Wong

I dont recall any moment in the game of Joy being with Ren (without Wong) or interacting with him

during a phone call in Shenmue III Ryo calls Joy and asks how Wong is doing and she answer he is fine

I dont think Joy is that kind of woman, neither I see her like that

Shes well known in the pier because her father owns some business there, so shes of a wealth family

her relationship with Ren is because of Wong who she has a friendship, so Wong being a gang member of the Heavens because he is homeless, must be supported by Joy somehow

its implied Joy has a friendship with Wong right at the beginning when the bag is stolen and she laughs at Ryo being fooled by Wong

I dont recall any moment in the game of Joy being with Ren (without Wong) or interacting with him

during a phone call in Shenmue III Ryo calls Joy and asks how Wong is doing and she answer he is fine
There was some implication in two that there was something goin on with joy and Ren. I am playing 2 now i wll see if i remember what it was. I could be wrong I will recognize the line if i hear it again and let you know either way. I can admit when I am wrong.LOL

There was some implication in two that there was something goin on with joy and Ren. I am playing 2 now i wll see if i remember what it was. I could be wrong I will recognize the line if i hear it again and let you know either way. I can admit when I am wrong.LOL

here it is, Ren doesnt like her actually lol

she gets along the Heavens hideout because she is a good friend of Wong

Joy is thought as a nail, since second one at her introduction. That's why Ren confronts with her - besides that Ren confronts with everyone xD.
Also I believe she doesn't go after Ryo because she likes him in a romantic way but because suedehead Ryo looks like he's gonna get killed going by Hong Kong like he were at home, Yokosuka. Also the relationship with Wong pours to Ryo, orphan too and she both admires/fear for him that "nothing gonna stop him".
Relationships in Shenmue are quite deep compared to other games with plain heroes/villains types.

Joy is thought as a nail, since second one at her introduction. That's why Ren confronts with her - besides that Ren confronts with everyone xD.
Also I believe she doesn't go after Ryo because she likes him in a romantic way but because suedehead Ryo looks like he's gonna get killed going by Hong Kong like he were at home, Yokosuka. Also the relationship with Wong pours to Ryo, orphan too and she both admires/fear for him that "nothing gonna stop him".
Relationships in Shenmue are quite deep compared to other games with plain heroes/villains types.

do you remember if Joy is already in Kowloon the moment before Cool Z brings Wong to free Ren and Ryo from each other handcuffs?

Or if she just go with Wong to the hideout

I remember I saw her motorcycle somewhere in Kowloon but I didnt stopped to think about why she was there

do you remember if Joy is already in Kowloon the moment before Cool Z brings Wong to free Ren and Ryo from each other handcuffs?

Or if she just go with Wong to the hideout

I remember I saw her motorcycle somewhere in Kowloon but I didnt stopped to think about why she was there
I can't remember well but I believe she was there before that event. Motivation guessin? Getting ahead of berserk Ryo and keep him safe so he doesn't get killed. Like Xiuying did a few times. Shenmue 2 Ryo is imo totally out of his mind seeking revenge, at Yokosuka he had the safelockers of:
- Getting to know who did what, for what, where they were...
- Again, being at home along his family leftabouts and friends.
Getting to China, knowing that Lan Di was there, unleashed the careless and too daring Ryo. He even loses the correct martial stance and that's one of the reasons for Xiuying making him to carry the books.

I can't remember well but I believe she was there before that event. Motivation guessin? Getting ahead of berserk Ryo and keep him safe so he doesn't get killed. Like Xiuying did a few times. Shenmue 2 Ryo is imo totally out of his mind seeking revenge, at Yokosuka he had the safelockers of:
- Getting to know who did what, for what, where they were...
- Again, being at home along his family leftabouts and friends.
Getting to China, knowing that Lan Di was there, unleashed the careless and too daring Ryo. He even loses the correct martial stance and that's one of the reasons for Xiuying making him to carry the books.

do you think Quentin Tarantino played Shenmue I and II before writing Kill Bill ?

Im pretty sure he did , but in an interview he stated he doesnt like videogames, I think he says that to avoid a connection

The Bride acts exactly like Ryo asking where is Lan Di when she asks where is Bill

do you think Quentin Tarantino played Shenmue I and II before writing Kill Bill ?

Im pretty sure he did , but in an interview he stated he doesnt like videogames, I think he says that to avoid a connection.
I don't think so. Kill Bill influences has been widely discussed and those are lots of martial arts movies and specially Lady Snowblood.
The Bride acts exactly like Ryo asking where is Lan Di when she asks where is Bill
Because thats a common trope for this kind of narrations. Think about how similar is The Princes Bride, Iñigo looking for a man with six fingers who killed his father vs. Ryo looking for a man with a green dress and a tattoo who killed his father. Or even with Bruce Lee at Fist of Fury looking for his master murderers.
I believe Quentin statement about videogames, if he can't direct it he doesn't like it. He also has a common thing with Yu-san, which I like, doing what he wants without paying attention to demands. Quentin is more vocal loud about it saying "Im not gonna do it, fuck you" while YS just remains silent and go his own path.

No that wasn't it. As many times as I have played this game I don't recall ever having that conversation with Ren. Thanks. But part of that conversation does sound familiar though. Thanks for this. This is the second time that I found out why Joy is so respected. I found out yesterday by accident that she comes from a wealthy family on the internet and then this video. I have always wondered where Joy got her clout from.

No that wasn't it. As many times as I have played this game I don't recall ever having that conversation with Ren. Thanks. But part of that conversation does sound familiar though. Thanks for this. This is the second time that I found out why Joy is so respected. I found out yesterday by accident that she comes from a wealthy family on the internet and then this video. I have always wondered where Joy got her clout from.

If I remember well, in Kowloon theres a phone call recording of Joy to Ghuizhang (son of Master Chen) and they talk about Ryo, so Joy is the daughter of a man who trades with Master Chen, and she refers to Master Chen as her "uncle"

If I remember well, in Kowloon theres a phone call recording of Joy to Ghuizhang (son of Master Chen) and they talk about Ryo, so Joy is the daughter of a man who trades with Master Chen, and she refers to Master Chen as her "uncle"
I mentioned this in the post https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...besides-the-duck-race.5254/page-2#post-149297 I don't recall it mentioning anything about her father working for Chen but it has been 20 years since I have played the game. LOL

I was wondering has anyone else thought 'What is the purpose of sweeping the dirt off of the ground outside the library at Man Mo Temple?' Only for him to dump it back on the ground again!!! LOL

Also I don't remember how I did this or when I did this but I found a hidden dialogue not in the actual sense of the word hidden but encounter with Joy at the arcade in Shenmue 2. I remember playing the game so many times that I never came across this un recently like 15 years ago I stumbled upon her at the arcade and remember she having dialogue that brought more to the story then I have ever remembered. This was on the dreamcast.
This is what I was talking about in my post in Random Shenmue thoughts. I remember doing this on the dreamcast but now I cant do this on the xbox version (PC/PS4/PS5)

SOME SPOILERS!!!!

Ok I have a ? that is boggling my mind. Could someone please explain to me how Ryo was able to ask Joy about Yuanda Zhu in this video

I am at this part now. You can't leave Wise Man Quarter until you catch the leaves 3 times and get the key from Xiuying. By this time searching for Yuanda Zhu is over with and you start asking people about the Chawan Sign. I have to think of everything on how to ask joy about Yuanda Zhu but once I dust the wall (yes it is singular, you DO NOT have to dust every wall, just the wall in between the 1st and 2nd cabinet against the back wall after you dust that one wall you are done) you have committed yourself to Scarlett Hills ad Wise Man Quarters until you find the Wulinshu at which point you start the leaf catching game but you don't have to finish immediately you can press B to back out and go wherever you want. I forgot to mention that I have even disabled collisions and forced my way to Golden Quarter. She was there and all this time i was able to ask anyone about Yuanda Zhu but not Joy, I went to the mall the EXACT time in the video Feb 28 @ 1259 and all that I could ask her was 'what type of job does she have and she asks me what type of girls do I like. But if I go there AFTER i receive the Wulinshu she will give me advice on where to go for the Chawan Signs

Sega must have taking changed the dreamcast port when they made the Xbox version because I know for a fact that I did this on the DC. They did not change this as I checked an old DC walkthrough that I used back in the day. PLEASE help I am losing my mind trying to figure this out. LOL

I bet there's a scene for everyone which despite being known by many others, just pops out after the +5 playthrough. And that's talking about events, with dialogue lines its even more magical (if the player has sensibilty enough though).
Update.

This scene happens when you are doing the Chawan Sign looking for Yuanda Zhu. She is always at the arcade I am not sure until when

Last edited:
I'm sure that I am not the only one who has thought of this but has anyone one else notice that Xiuying is to Kiryu as Fangmei is to Haruka. Xiuying and Fangmei both grew up in the same orphanage just like Kiryu and Haruka and both are looking after the younger one as well. Fangmei and Haruka loves to help out as much as possible and are much more responsible than their age and has the same personalities as neither one would take crap from anyone.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!!! i'm sure that this has been brought up several times but I am new here and would like to start a fresh conversation so here it is. How many people here think that Ziming is Lan Di? I thought this the first time I ever played Shenmue 2 on the dreamcast as I am sure that most of you guys have as well.
He isn't Lan Di, this was debunked almost 2 decades ago.

BIG SPOILER!!!
I Just did the Fangmei Birthday event and I was wondering. Ryo thought that Fangmei was looking at the broach and told him that she was looking at a dress for Master Tao. Her birthday is May 24 so she had plenty of time to save money for the dress (maybe). I just think that it is a little early to have bought a present for someone 11 weeks before their birthday.LOL

I have always wondered what happened to Ryo's bag. When it was time to say goodbye to everyone I stopped by the Come Over Guest House to pay my tab. I went up to my room opened up the closet and I noticed that my bag was stolen again. (I know that it wasn't. It wasn't in the closet) I figured that he would grab it before leaving for Kowloon. I noticed that he stepped of the bus without it. Also why did he even have the bag? It's not like he brought a change of clothing and all the crap that he collects somehow all fits in the pockets of his jeans and jacket, It looks like the only reason that he had the bag was to carry the Phoenix Mirror. Once he got his bag back he started carrying the mirror with him. So I am wondering if he to came to the conclusion as well that he doesn't need the bag and just ditched it?

Back