Random Shenmue Thoughts

Wonderful read, thanks for sharing. When listening to the Dojo’s music discussion podcast the other day, it really struck my how melancholy a large part of the first game felt, largely through music. It wasn’t until my adulthood I could better articulate and understand the feeling of grief, dealing with loss and sadness the game often dips into or explores.

It’s really fascinating for such a huge production to focus on that. I mean it’s right there from GDC presentation-

1695099885598.jpeg

Last edited:

I know I'm probably really late to the party on this but it looks amazing. If the original Shenmue titles were Sony classics, we could have got a remake of this calibre.

I know I'm probably really late to the party on this but it looks amazing. If the original Shenmue titles were Sony classics, we could have got a remake of this calibre.

I’m not sure if this is still accurate but I know at one point they talked about bringing this guy on to help work on Dragon/Phoenix game. With Lemon no longer part of this community, I’m not sure who could clarify this anymore.

I’m not sure if this is still accurate but I know at one point they talked about bringing this guy on to help work on Dragon/Phoenix game. With Lemon no longer part of this community, I’m not sure who could clarify this anymore.
Wait, wut? Lemon left the dojo? When did that happen?

He was brought on at one stage but not sure if that continued or not.

Not much about Shenmue here unfortunately, but some interesting things about SEGA regardless. The only tidbit we get is that as far back as March 1996, SEGA Of America was planning on Virtua Fighter RPG being released in May 1998 for the Saturn (page 199).

This further supports my belief that Shenmue would have had more success had it released on the Saturn first than the Dreamcast. If Shenmue would have released before Metal Gear Solid and stole some of it's thunder, it would have brought a lot of eyes on what the Saturn could really do. There was already nothing like it when it came out on the DC, but rewind it a generation earlier and it would have been even more of a technically renowned software piece than it already is.

In a perfect world, Saturn would covered the events to the end of Shenmue 2. Then the real Shenmue 2 (what we would consider Shenmue 3) would have launched on the DC with them wrapping the series up in around the 3rd game. One can only wish :(

This further supports my belief that Shenmue would have had more success had it released on the Saturn first than the Dreamcast. If Shenmue would have released before Metal Gear Solid and stole some of it's thunder, it would have brought a lot of eyes on what the Saturn could really do. There was already nothing like it when it came out on the DC, but rewind it a generation earlier and it would have been even more of a technically renowned software piece than it already is.

In a perfect world, Saturn would covered the events to the end of Shenmue 2. Then the real Shenmue 2 (what we would consider Shenmue 3) would have launched on the DC with them wrapping the series up in around the 3rd game. One can only wish :(
I'm pretty sure someone had said that exact sentence the same way but was proved to be incorrect

Back