Random Shenmue Thoughts

It's funny, Shenmue always has done a great job of suspending my disbelief until moments like this that slap me back to reality...

I will always entertain Shenmue's world for what it is, and I love what I've experienced and it's taught me.
That said, I recall the comment of a buddy at a high school sleepover when we tackled the Yellow Head rush: "these guys have no guns, but two or three knives, a chainsaw, and a martial arts program?" (To be fair, I think II takes more liberties contra I's attention to detail).
It sobers, but the story wins.

I will always entertain Shenmue's world for what it is, and I love what I've experienced and it's taught me.
That said, I recall the comment of a buddy at a high school sleepover when we tackled the Yellow Head rush: "these guys have no guns, but two or three knives, a chainsaw, and a martial arts program?" (To be fair, I think II takes more liberties contra I's attention to detail).
It sobers, but the story wins.
Yup, there are just so many moments like that. Oh they put roadblocks all around the harbor and have forklift races every morning and nobody cares? Ryo and his buddy beat the crap out of each other to the point where they're lying on the ground in exhaustion, not able to fight anymore... only to take on 70 more guys two minutes later? Cool...

Guys! If you like shenmue music, Check Richard Cartlidge's Youtube channel. He haz some AMAZING Shenmue music covers. Like Seriously. Amazing stuff!

Beautiful. Just imagine all the new Shenmue III musical masterpieces on the way. Shenmue III may win Album of the Year, Documentary of the Year, Game of the Year, Masterpiece of the Year, etc lol

So I was playing Shenmue 2 last night and all of the tracks from the tapes seem to be distributed to jukeboxes throughout the world. I found Hip de Hop at Bar Swing in Aberdeen and took a moment to remember Tom. One more reason to explore!

Yes, but not quite the same as a boombox or mini cassette player :)

Outta curiosity...has anyone ever tried to play Shenmue on Dreamcast with an Arcade stick? I've always been curious as to how well it would work. I know for the FREE battles it would probably work somewhat decently since it's the same setup as Virtua Fighter almost, but wandering around in free explore might be trickier...but yeah, anyone ever tried it?

Outta curiosity...has anyone ever tried to play Shenmue on Dreamcast with an Arcade stick? I've always been curious as to how well it would work. I know for the FREE battles it would probably work somewhat decently since it's the same setup as Virtua Fighter almost, but wandering around in free explore might be trickier...but yeah, anyone ever tried it?

Some in California's East Bay may know:

High Scores Arcade located in California's East Bay.jpg

Yes, I had the same curiousity a few years back. So long as you're cool with only walking, which I never mind, and are patient for the common slow down areas because you can't "look away" to avoid frame stutters (such as pigeon park, random bits of Dobuita and harbor, Green Market main st, Man Mo stairs+planters, etc). The payoff for the VF engine arcade controls are worthwhile.

Only game breaking obstacle is zoom investigation--sometimes required for the katana box key, as an example. Generally, I'll play with standard pad when I know there's some zooming required, but if only strolling and QTE/fighting, then I'll bootup and play the whole session with a stick.

As long as the placement for L+R are okay, you should be fine. I have no idea where those buttons are on an arcade stick lol. There aren't any times I can think of where you're forced to use the analog stick but I could be wrong...

As long as the placement for L+R are okay, you should be fine. I have no idea where those buttons are on an arcade stick lol. There aren't any times I can think of where you're forced to use the analog stick but I could be wrong...

You're forced to use the thumbstick to catch leaves in Shenmue II. That's the only time in both games you're forced to use it, iirc.

hey guys, look what i found in my mailbox today! Big surprise!
Yakuza 0, 1 and 6! Wow!

View attachment 513
You're really lucky ..Im happy for you mine copy arrives 1 day later at the 18 th of august ...because im living in a small city of germany at saarland here it takes in 99 % 1 day longer to arrive at home compared to a big city like berlin ,Frankfurt or something

Didn't even think of that, now I'm slightly jealous of my friend who will have this by xmas ?❤️. Nah, she deserves it. And I can just replay, for the feels! It really is the best game ever.
Yes its the best game ever ?❤ hope u had alot fun with it soon we all can playing Shenmue 3?

Chai has bested me in two fights. I've maxed out most of my hand moves. I don't do crawl cyclone. I focus on defense and throw moves(lately), but it does help you stay in the fight longer.

No Corey Marshall on this playthrough lol. Different, but same.

Chai has bested me in two fights. I've maxed out most of my hand moves. I don't do crawl cyclone. I focus on defense and throw moves(lately), but it does help you stay in the fight longer.

No Corey Marshall on this playthrough lol. Different, but same.
You can beat him by simply parrying and throwing. The only trouble he'll give you if you rely on this strat is that random flying kick move he does. I use crawl cyclone merely as a defensive option in this fight, as Ryo tucks down so low that he completely dodges it as a result. It might be worth setting it to RT just for that reason.

You can beat him by simply parrying and throwing. The only trouble he'll give you if you rely on this strat is that random flying kick move he does. I use crawl cyclone merely as a defensive option in this fight, as Ryo tucks down so low that he completely dodges it as a result. It might be worth setting it to RT just for that reason.
(Delete) Woken Rome. See post below?

Last edited:
That move is unblockable. I've beaten him plenty of times in the past, with only using Crawl as a defensive option. This time around, I don't even know it yet. I got this. It took me 6 attempts, but I finally got it with a simple back twist haha.This is one of my favorite fights.

Chai to this day still gives me trouble in the arcade, but I usually beat him. This fight and Greg Moore are the only ones I'm not 100% confident going into. Well timed dodges and knowing when to strike are key because he'll parry anything you throw at him otherwise. But sometimes he just gets on a roll and beats my ass to a pulp, and I accept it lmfao...

Is it just me, or does Eric Kelso kind of 'forget' to do his Gui Zhang voice during certain bits in the 70-man battle? :p
Heck, its nearly close to creeping in to his Ren and/or Jacky Bryant voice.
Specifically, the lines that have always stuck out to me are:
'That's the Hazuki style?!'
'All power, no focus!'
'You're still green, eh?'
'That's it!' (in response to Ryo asking, 'Shall I take them all on?')

I dunno, it always stuck out as weird to me - to the point I questioned whether it was Gui Zhang saying the lines initially (he just seems to lose all of the gravelly quality in his voice - unless it was just Eric finding it difficult to deliver these lines in that voice??

Back