Reading up on my Shenmue History - The Original Shenmue 3

There’s still the question if the source code for Shenmue on the saturn still exisits. Because Sega no longer has it for Panzer Dragoon RPG, which is why it hasn’t been re-released.

As for the train scene, I hope it’s reworked in a different part of the game at some poibt

From what we've seen with SEGA, they can be a pretty careless and incompetent with just about anything, this is especially true with Shenmue. I believe that Shenmue.com was even owned and run by fans for a long time, which caused a bit of a controversy on here when the Munecas section was updated to coming soon or something...does anyone remember this? It turned out a fan, who I also believe posted here, bought the domain name right from SEGA who just let it slip away. Most companies in media are very strict in archiving their IP, I know Nintendo probably has things all the way back to the NES or before archived, and stored properly, locked away in vaults. But SEGA seems pretty careless, and the Saturn was such a blink of an eye anyway and such a forgotten and weird system, so it wouldn't surprise me if they let that stuff vanish into thin air 15 years ago.

I truly believe a Dreamcast version of Shenmue III exists. It's the only reason to explain why a character vignette of someone who doesn't even show up until the 3rd game exists.

There’s an interview with Yu Suzuki over at Sega Retro where he thinks there should be a playable version of Shenmue Saturn in the Sega Archives!

But that for the Saturn version they mostly worked on the open world and getting that to run so there may not be much actual game in it. I feel this could be the same for Shenmue 3 - there were lots of maps and assets made, you could probably walk around the areas too but the finer details of actual game and story may be missing quite a bit.

I truly believe a Dreamcast version of Shenmue III exists. It's the only reason to explain why a character vignette of someone who doesn't even show up until the 3rd game exists.

Niao Sun on the Dreamcast looks awesome. The model has so much detail. Especially the red dress which looks amazing.

Back