AXM

Man Moe
PSN
AxmShenmue
XBL
ShenmueAxm85
Steam
AxmShenmue
Do we have any specific reason for the release date of S3 being Aug. 27th?
Just wondering because in Japan Aug. 27th is the first day Japanese kids go back to school from summer vacation. So in terms of timing this makes zero sense for the Japanese market.
Granted the Shenmue fan generation is much older than JHS, HS level kids but you would think to expand the user base and garner more sales, atleast the week prior would have made more sense..

This is actually very inconvenient for me as a JHS English teacher. The very first day I have to report back to work from a long and free summer off, Shenmue 3 drops and as a married adult with child I have to do my adult things such as report to work and take care of my family etc. Really sucks the air out of the release for me.

For those in America, U.K and Europe, does Aug. 27th make much logistical sales sense to you?

Just wondering because in Japan Aug. 27th is the first day Japanese kids go back to school from summer vacation. So in terms of timing this makes zero sense for the Japanese market.
Granted the Shenmue fan generation is much older than JHS, HS level kids but you would think to expand the user base and garner more sales, atleast the week prior would have made more sense..

This is actually very inconvenient for me as a JHS English teacher. The very first day I have to report back to work from a long and free summer off, Shenmue 3 drops and as a married adult with child I have to do my adult things such as report to work and take care of my family etc. Really sucks the air out of the release for me.

For those in America, U.K and Europe, does Aug. 27th make much logistical sales sense to you?
Oh I am really sorry for u that won't could be playing it around the release days ...I hope somehow u will get some free time for shenmue 3 as soon as It is possible good luck ????

Apart from it being a Tuesday (Thursday would've been better -- closer to the weekend!), I think it makes sense. The release window is fairly light on "big" releases which is the number one concern. It sucks it'll be inconvenient for you, though. Hopefully you find the time somehow (y)

The release date was clearly picked with the global market in mind. They'd obviously like success in Japan, but I wouldn't say Japan is the main market for Shenmue. Unless you're a big established franchise (or on a mobile phone), the Japanese market can be pretty weak compared to Europe and America, and now with China in the mix, there are plenty of other territories to find success in.

Last edited:
I'm personally not too concerned. These tuesday releases have been happening more and more with games in the last 18 months or so.

Also Shenmue argueably has a bigger western following than it does in Japan so catering to that market slightly more isn't a bad idea. The sales data that we have had suggests that Western sales of the re-releases outstripped Japan.

Also China as @orient mentioned is an untapped market with sales potential.

Interesting thread. I have never seen this way. Never though about the strategic sense of some release Dates. For me it does not matter Real life always keeps me quite busy and I will just try to Play the game as much as possible. Will only be short gameplay Seasons but that is fine for me.

I've never really thought about it before, release dates are just arbitrary dates to me, it doesn't matter when a game releases to me, but I understand there is a strategic element to it for businesses.

Regarding it being a Tuesday, that's the standard international release day for video games with worldwide release dates. Tuesday is traditionally the date games are released in the USA (or possibly North America as a continent), whereas in the UK, as an example, Friday is the traditional release day. Nowadays, most games release on the same day (a Tuesday) around the world, to stop leaks and media critcism affecting countries that have not released the game yet.

It's a bit like what has happened with music with new albums and singles (Germany would get them the Friday the week before, the UK got them on Monday and America got them on Tuesday), with 99% of popular music now being released on a Friday internationally. With the world become far more global and the growth of the internet and social media, seperate domestic release schedules no longer make sense.

You're overlooking the Japanese housewife market, who'll finally have the kids out of the way and be able to get their hands on Ryo-chan in peace.
When Ryo takes off his shirt and starts pumping iron, said housewives will need a couple of these:

31873151_6fa94372d2.jpg

August/late August is seen as a pretty solid and relatively uncrowded window to sneak in before the end of year crush.

And games have been releasing on Tuesdays for decades, because of various reasons to do with logistics, consumer psychology, and not cannibalising/getting cannibalised with other forms of entertainment releasing that day (stuff like magazines and films have certain days of the week earmarked for optimal release too).

It's not universal and the rule doesn't apply everywhere to everything, but Tuesday 27th of August is a perfectly normal release date to have and Shenmue III is already sharing it with another high-ish profile game. Just seems you got really unlucky with your personal situation, but fingers crossed you get at least an hour or two spare on release day.

Your new wife would understand if you started playing Shenmue 3, I'm sure. Just tell her that you've loved Shenmue longer than her and it'll all be okay.

Ha she knows the situation, however the flights are booked and I won't be able to play until we get back!

Ask one of your friends to get you a decent laptop as a wedding gift (or nVideo Shield type gadgets) to play the steam version!

Do Japanese kids even play on consoles anymore?

Do Japanese kids even play on consoles anymore?

I don’t know about kids as a whole, but in Japan the Switch is in severe competition with the PS4 in Japan. So take that as you will.

Last edited:
I kinda wish they'd delay it to September 9. Then media in America could run stories tying the 20th anniversary of the 9/9/99 Dreamcast launch to it's major dormant franchise getting a sequel released.

I kinda wish they'd delay it to September 9. Then media in America could run stories tying the 20th anniversary of the 9/9/99 Dreamcast launch to it's major dormant franchise getting a sequel released.
I see the thought behind it, the resurrection of one of the most iconic dreamcast games etc.

On another note its scary as shit that nearly 20 years has gone by!

Back