RESIDENT EVIL DISCUSSION THREAD

I'm really obsessed with the look of RE8 so far.

The creepy village, gothic castle, vampire-like sisterhood - it looks like a nice mix between folk and gothic horror.

When it comes to ´atmosphere´, ´a sense of place´, ´personality´ and story. I think my absolute favorites are: RE2 & RE1. For me those games made RE to what it is and I don't want that to change. I see RE 4 as something entirely different. But it's my favorite in it's own way. I've realized that the gore isn't what I care much for in RE, but rather that spooky atmosphere I was talking about.

It's like in every RE-game there's a ´spooky´ part at the beginning, then at the end it all turns into an action-game where you have to kill a massive monster. But the monsters are rarely (or never?) that scary. It often get's too much over the top. Play RE 3 Remake and you know what I'm talking about.

What I also like about RE is the fact that there's a scientific reason to what is happening in the game with the zombies and all..
I can also mention that I enjoy the thing about being strategic and very wise about what you're carrying in your inventory because of the limited space. Also that you have to be tactical of your ammo, using silencers and to use the right type of ammo on the right enemies. In RE3 it felt like I had to much ammo which I don't like. Less is more.

Last edited:
My favorite Resi games are 1 classic, 1 Remake, 2 classic, 2 Remake.
I liked the setting and atmosphere in 7, well in the first half of the game.
I dont like the gun action parts at all because they are just boring
and i 100% hated Ethan Winters character because of his reactions
or lets say his none existing reactions. Something absolutely horrible or surprising happens in front of him
and hes like 'ah' ... 'no!' ... 'ok?' ... 'what?' ... he is not allowed to speak or comment anything like a real normal person.
He can watch how a horde of monsters are about to eat his wife and Ethan would say something like 'this is not good'.
Ethan Winters could lose a leg and he would say 'ouch damn'.
I dont know, its like you arent playing a real character, its just a empty shell.
I really really hope they are going to improve this in Resi 8.
Everything else about Resi 8 looks good so far, cant say anything against it.
I played the PS5 showcase demo and it was fantastic in terms of atmosphere and setting.
But please give Ethan some kind of personality, emotions, real reactions.
I cant take it serious when the game setting is supposed to be this dark and gritty mysterious place in our real world
but the main character has about the same levels of emotions as a shoelace.

i am a big resident evil fan ( going back to ps1 era).. i just don't get why capcom are fixated on creating first person Re games? i know i'm not alone but i tried the Re7 demo years ago but it just made me feel sick.. i will probably give re8 a miss.

i just wish they would make a hyper realistic, fixed camera angle resident evil game like the gamecube one but with modern graphics.. i guess for now the only thing i've got to look forward to, is the rumoured code Veronica remake.

My favorite Resi games are 1 classic, 1 Remake, 2 classic, 2 Remake.
I liked the setting and atmosphere in 7, well in the first half of the game.
I dont like the gun action parts at all because they are just boring
and i 100% hated Ethan Winters character because of his reactions
or lets say his none existing reactions. Something absolutely horrible or surprising happens in front of him
and hes like 'ah' ... 'no!' ... 'ok?' ... 'what?' ... he is not allowed to speak or comment anything like a real normal person.
He can watch how a horde of monsters are about to eat his wife and Ethan would say something like 'this is not good'.
Ethan Winters could lose a leg and he would say 'ouch damn'.
I dont know, its like you arent playing a real character, its just a empty shell.
I really really hope they are going to improve this in Resi 8.
Everything else about Resi 8 looks good so far, cant say anything against it.
I played the PS5 showcase demo and it was fantastic in terms of atmosphere and setting.
But please give Ethan some kind of personality, emotions, real reactions.
I cant take it serious when the game setting is supposed to be this dark and gritty mysterious place in our real world
but the main character has about the same levels of emotions as a shoelace.
Completely agree. I felt similarly about the RE2 remake, although it wasn’t nearly as bad. It’s like despite all the improvements they’ve made with bringing back the atmosphere, refining the gameplay mechanics of the recent games, and even the voice-acting, the writing for these games is still terrible.

I downloaded that Maiden demo but still haven't played it yet. Downloaded while I was staying in Sydney this past weekend, but haven't had a chance to fire it up for myself yet.

I'm not sure how I feel about the change in 7 and 8...I'm still wondering if or how these games actually tie in to the past games. I know Chris shows up at the end of 7 and I know Chris is in 8...but I guess I'm still wondering, how does the supernatural elements of 8 tie into the previous games?

I'm curious about what I've seen from Village, but still wondering how or if it's gonna tie back to the previous games...or if they are soft rebooting everything. That question wasn't really answered in RE7 and I guess I'm waiting to see if Village will answer more of my questions.

I actually have the urge to go through Resident Evil 4 some day (again)...might make for a good stream game. I've been looking for something to Stream to try and break back into that experiement. (the other thought was stream Japanese Shenmue and make it a Japanese class of sorts)

Last edited:
I don't know the exact story or all the details for Resi 8
but i think in the end all this zombie, werewolf, vampire, super power stuff
will be once again tied to some Umbrella experiment. The Umbrella logo is already part of some emblems
in the Resi 8 trailers so i guess in the end its just another virus thing kind of situation.
Even the supernatural ghost stuff in the cancelled Resi 3.5 was not supposed to be real supernatural stuff.
So i would be very very surprised if Resi 8 has actual 'things from another world' that are not somehow made
by Umbrella or a virus or whatever.

I actually have the urge to go through Resident Evil 4 some day (again)...might make for a good stream game. I've been looking for something to Stream to try and break back into that experiement. (the other thought was stream Japanese Shenmue and make it a Japanese class of sorts)
If you do so I can almost guarantee you want to replay it again right after finishing it.
I've played through this game so many times I've lost count. At least 30, maybe 40 or even more.

The game itself is put togather in such a perfect way. It's always interesting enough for you to keep going. It has lots of variety. There's always something new around the corner (Regenerators, my god).

This probably sounds a little bit cynical but I think they (most likely) will ruin it with the RE 4 Remake. They will probably make a shorter -but still fun- game. But it won't top the original version as a whole. They will add DLC and ditch the extra side-missions. But it will graphically look good and they will make money out of it but those who loved the original version will be disappointed, I think.

Okay, let's hope I'm wrong! But after the RE3 Remake I will not have any more high expectations.

Last edited:
This probably sounds a little bit cynical but I think they (most likely) will ruin it with the RE 4 Remake. They will probably make a shorter -but still fun- game. But it won't top the original version as a whole. They will add DLC and ditch the extra side-missions. But it will graphically look good and they will make money out of it but those who loved the original version will be disappointed, I think.
At this point, I'd rather they just do what Bluepoint does. Give it a fresh coat of paint and keep everything else under the hood the same...but that won't happen. It will be a full remake to keep in line with the other recent remakes.

Although, if it's up to the quality of RE2: Remake I won't mind. I think it will be. The fact that Capcom supposedly took it back in-house bodes well that it will be a product of quality as opposed to the mixed bag that was RE3: Remake.

For me, it won't matter. Both versions will exsist. I will always have that original game. But I do agree that the remake has big shoes to fill and at this point, I'd much rather they just give it the Bluepoint treatment instead of doing a full on remake.

Wasnt there this ... i dont know rumor or behind the scenes report
that Capcom pulled the studio off the Resi 4 Remake, the same studio who made Resi 3 Remake?
I think it said something about how the studio saw the negative feedback for the 3 Remake,
so they wanted to do a 1:1 remake of 4 but after reviewing the project, Capcom decided against it
because they dont want a 1:1 remake. So they pulled them off the project and now
the normal Resi / Devil May Cry team is making the Resi 4 Remake.
This all would have happened back at the end of 2020, which means if theres a new team on board
and they have to start again like with Resi 1.5 or Resi 3.5 etc,
the real Resi 4 Remake wont come out until 2024 or something like that.

Well, if this whole 'report' is true.

25 years of zombie cheesefest awesomeness.

I hope we get an original classics trilogy at some point this year.

Happy 25th anniversary!

To this day, I still think the original (and its remake) are the scariest games ever made no matter how often I play it. Only RE7 has come close to scaring me. The original means so much to me, i'd put it in my top 10 games of all time. I always told myself if I was a multi-millionaire, I would build a replica of the Spencer mansion (the PS1/Saturn version); I think because I lived with my Grandma a lot of the time growing up, her house looked exactly the same as it was the day she bought it in the 1950's. By that, I mean the house has this old school wallpaper that looks like the Resident Evil mansion!

Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece and I have a lot of love for Resident Evil 7, but like most people i'm sure, I struggled with RE5 & 6. I didn't enjoy a lot of the spin-offs either (mostly because of the poor control method* and the move to action). Finally, I have a soft spot for the live action movies (especially the 2nd and 5th films).

Let's all celebrate with a Jill sandwich <3

*Yet, I still love the tank controls....!!

So Resident Evil Village ... its too early for spoiler in details on day one i guess
... but ... what the hell happened at the 60-70% mark in the story??!!
Did Capcom fire the first developer team and then let another team finish it or what?
Or did i accidentally insert a wrong disc? I cant even explain what happened
because it would sound like fan fiction. ... i already disliked the ship and the mine in 7
but Village is trying really really hard to beat that and not in a good way.
That was terrible in my humble opinion. First 60-70% were fine, like a 8 or 8.5
but oh boy it goes downhill after that. I dont know what else to say about it.

So Resident Evil Village ... its too early for spoiler in details on day one i guess
... but ... what the hell happened at the 60-70% mark in the story??!!
Did Capcom fire the first developer team and then let another team finish it or what?
Or did i accidentally insert a wrong disc? I cant even explain what happened
because it would sound like fan fiction. ... i already disliked the ship and the mine in 7
but Village is trying really really hard to beat that and not in a good way.
That was terrible in my humble opinion. First 60-70% were fine, like a 8 or 8.5
but oh boy it goes downhill after that. I dont know what else to say about it.
It should be fine if you use the spoilers tags, right? I already wrote the game off for being 1st person so I kinda want to read this...

It should be fine if you use the spoilers tags, right? I already wrote the game off for being 1st person so I kinda want to read this...
Ok i will write it in spoilers so you can read the 'awesome parts' you are missing out on.
Warning for everyone else, its hardcore spoilers for the finale 30-40% of the game.

So after you beat all the oldschool castle and mansion stuff, which is more on the slower atmospheric side
but already more action than in the first half of Resi 7,
the game is going to send you to Heisenberg, thats the weird Magneto guy with the hat.
And like all of a sudden, out of nowhere, you are in this modern looking underground factory,
where Heisenberg is building his own army of the dead. Braindead undead soldiers
with metal parts on them, drill arms and like VR goggles and then there are enemies in full mech armor
with red blinking weak points and the whole level design is literally just corridor after corridor after corridor,
no puzzles or anything
and the game throws these 3 type of enemies at you. Again and again and again and again
and this region goes on and on and on and on. Than there is this boss fight where some guy with a spinning fan
is charging at you 100 times, the same one move and you have to bait him
and then shoot his red blinking weak point on the back in his mech suit.

So the gameplay is just the most simple and most boring action shooter gameplay you can imagine.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the demo gameplay or with the trailer footage.
And its not just the gameplay, the story also goes downhill.
After Ethan is able to get to Heisenberg, he throws him back to the ground of the factory
and then suddenly theres Chris Redfield. The same Chris Redfield who shot Ethans wife Mia
at the beginning of the game. Turns out, that wasnt Mia.
It was mother Miranda (the head of this whole Village community) that took her form.
And then Chris gives Ethan a mini tank that is equipped with a chainsaw arm, a machine gun
and a high caliber explosive gun
and you have to fight against a transformed Heisenberg (who now looks like some demonic Metal Gear) with that tank.
So its like a Michael Bay transformers vehicle fight with completely over the top action scenes ...
but just 2 hours ago you walked around a castle with vampires ...

After that, it changes the perspective and you are playing Chris
and you have access to his whole arsenal of weapons. So you are killing like
20 werewolf enemies in 3 minutes and there are fixed points where you get full ammunition for
all of Chris weapons and then you have to survive waves of enemy attacks
and at the same time mark a target with a laser, so that soldiers can bomb the place ...

Then theres this whole wannabe twist where the game tells you
that Ethan actually died in Resi 7 and hes only alive because of this whole mold stuff
and then Ethan sacrifices himself so that his little daughter and Chris can escape
and then its like 18 years later and the game is teasing
a Resident Evil 9 game with Rose who was trained by Chris and they still have a job to do ...

Its just ... ??? ... what happened??? Did they hire Kojima for 2 hours to write the second half?

I started playing Village yesterday. I dug VII enough, but with this, I don’t even know what the series is anymore. I’m still really early on, but that Tim Burton-bullshit at the beginning threw me off, and the writing is still terrible.

I started playing Village yesterday. I dug VII enough, but with this, I don’t even know what the series is anymore. I’m still really early on, but that Tim Burton-bullshit at the beginning threw me off, and the writing is still terrible.
Yeah I saw that in some streams and thought “what is this?”

I still haven’t snapped up VIII. The demos didn’t really sell me on it To be honest, I might grab it this coming week when I get paid...or I might just wait a few months and get it when it inevitably goes on sale on Steam.

I can’t say the demos really grabbed me though. I know they’re trying to evoke 4 with the village and all, but it just didn‘t grab me in those demos, and what little I saw of the opening hours being streamed today it still hasn’t grabbed me.

The story is ridiculous. Please dont buy or play it for the story,
the story is really really ... weird. And not in a good way.
If you want a action survival game with some nice atmosphere, okay,
but please dont start this game because you want to know the lore behind it.
Its not worth it. It really isnt.

so in re7/8, is the story about mutant monsters or is it still about zombies, bio weapons and evil bio weapon Companies?

Last edited:
Back