Sales of Shenmue III: Where are we now?

Initial estimates suggested that around 80% of console sales were on PS4 and that’s not including Japanese sales (if I’m not mistaken that game didn’t even get an Xbox launch here). If Japanese sales are included it’s probably more like 95% PS4 vs 5% Xbox. Putting the game in Gamepass makes sense as the fee they got for it probably mitigated any potential sales they might have lost (which, on Xbox, were likely to be negligible).

Shenmue is apparently shifting more than 6,000 copies a month, but this equates to 72,000 copies a year (potentially around $1m in profit for Sega).

Putting the game on PSN+ wouldn’t just cost them one month’s sales as the game would be available to every active PSN user who might have ever picked up the game. It would effectively decrease the chances of them ever paying for the game to zero when right now there is a chance (albeit slim) that they might.

I don’t know how much Sony pay publishers/developers, but I doubt it is more than the money that Sega could potentially lose out on.
6000 copies of 1 and 2 a month is impressive given release was 18 months ago

Are we doing an official thread for the presentation tomorrow?

If I understand correctly, should start at 9AM in Uk and 4AM ESt or 1AM PST.

Net sales of the Business Area: Games – Deep Silver rose 150% to SEK 466.6 million.
New releases performed in line with management expectations in the quarter. The perfor- mance of back catalog sales was strong during the quarter, both digitally and physically and exceeded management expectations in the quarter.
Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let’s Sing 2020. Moreover, Metro Exodus continued to give a significant con- tribution to Deep Silver’s revenue in the quarter, as well as other notable back catalog titles such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and Outward.
Looking ahead, the next quarter includes notable releases of the latest DLC:s for Deep Silver’s key IP Metro Exodus; Sam’s Story. The expansion of the Metro franchise will continue with the release of Metro Redux on Switch and the launch of Metro Exodus on Steam. Further releases in the coming quarter includes amongst others: Saints Row IV on Nintendo Switch, a s well as Blair Witch and Hunt: Showdown.
Milestone had a quiet quarter without any new releases, within the current quarter they have released Monster Energy Supercross 3.
Looking ahead, we are looking forward to the releases of MotoGP20 and Ride 4 in the coming period.

If Embracer says, "Shenmue III was the principle DS revenue driver in the quarter," then how does that equal to DS "losing money" on it as that analyst claimed?

Last edited:
I’m not even sure what he said means they lost money. He was just over estimating Shenmue sales last quarter and revised to show it would not earn as much money based on a pretty unreliable tool called Gamstat. People ran with that and turned it into “Shenmue is losing Deep Silver money.” I am open to being corrected if I am wrong!

I’m not even sure what he said means they lost money. He was just over estimating Shenmue sales last quarter and revised to show it would not earn as much money based on a pretty unreliable tool called Gamstat. People ran with that and turned it into “Shenmue is losing Deep Silver money.” I am open to being corrected if I am wrong!

Nah, you're right. What was lowered in that report was the expected revenue. It didn't say "Shenmue III made us lose 8 million dollars" as in "We put 10 millions and Shenmue brought 2 millions, hence a 8 millions loss" but "Shenmue III performance isn't as high as expected, so instead of earning 20 millions of revenue, we'll earn 12 millions of revenue, earning 8 millions less than planned".

Nah, you're right. What was lowered in that report was the expected revenue. It didn't say "Shenmue III made us lose 8 million dollars" as in "We put 10 millions and Shenmue brought 2 millions, hence a 8 millions loss" but "Shenmue III performance isn't as high as expected, so instead of earning 20 millions of revenue, we'll earn 12 millions of revenue, earning 8 millions less than planned".
It didn’t say ‘us’ at all as it was written by an independent entity using incorrect data.

That Embracer’s own report and the comments made by their CEO directly contradict this, I don’t think there’s any value whatsoever in ABG Collier’s forecast when it comes to Shenmue 3.

Back