Sales of Shenmue III: Where are we now?

I noticed there's a footnote.
They used Gamstat.

Jesus... One week to go. Hope the real news, not the forecast, is better.

The report also says Embracer/THQ paid for the report if I read it correctly, so it's not like it's illegitimate. We'll see...

That would mean that it sold 20k in Japan and 30k absolutely everywhere else combined? I'd be amazed it that's true.

OK.
Maybe I am wrong, but I have said it countless time, I really don't see how Shenmue III would have sell only 50k ....
Only with the number that we have it is almost 50k (25k for the japan, 2k for spain, 10k/15k for limited edition) anyway ....

Every AA game that I can think of are way higher than 50k on gamestat even the bad one
-Vampyr : 910k (79k on the last month)
-Syberia III : 220k (51 on Metacritic)
-GreedFall : 230k
-The thecnomancer : 290k
-Plage tale : 240k
-Styx : 180k
-The sinking city : 110k
-Call of Cthulhu : 160k
-Life is strange 2 : 230k
-Mighty N°9 : 1.2 Millions !!??
-Pillars of eternity (ps4 edition) : 180k
-viking wolves of midgard : 190k

Really curious to have the real numbers !

I think some of those games ended up on PSPlus. Mighty No. 9 definitely was at one point. Gamstat's got S3 at 60K at this point, btw.

I think some of those games ended up on PSPlus. Mighty No. 9 definitely was at one point. Gamstat's got S3 at 60K at this point, btw.
OK maybe , but most are not as far as I know :)
Vampyr is not, greedfall is not, plague tale is not, pillars is not, LIS2 is not ect

And all of those game are avaible on PS4, PC AND Xbox

Best bet is to hold out hope for the quarterly stream next week. I would probably keep expectations in line with a possible disappointment based on that report, even if it is based on Gamstat. Embracer DID pay this company to write this report and it did affect their financial projections, so I would assume there's some basis in the number.

50,000 is pretty depressing if true. But still, this isn't taking into account the 69,000 who backed it, right?

I don't know. It's depressing as shit, but at the same time, I still don't know if it spells the end of Shenmue or not.

Man, being a Shenmue fan can be real depressing at times. Between people constantly telling you how much the series sucks to low sales figures that they can hold in front of you and gloat over. Here's hoping we get to IV.

Again, the 50K is based on Gamstat and doesn't even include PC numbers. Basically, need to wait 'til the 19th to really k now what's up. Def. not great news and I'm sure we're not gonna hear Shenmue 3 sold 10 million copies, but let's wait...

I dunno 50k is very very low. Gamestat isn't wholly accurate and these types of games take longer to sell.

We might have to take this one on the chin come the 19th.

What it doesn't account for is the piss poor marketing of the game, the crappy embargo and lack of community engagement.

Yes, the lack of community engagement has been very disappointing. Not sure why they did not lean on one of the series' biggest strengths.

Also, sales numbers wont be likely to include the KS backers for a good reasons: KS backers generates no revenue for Deep Silver.

There's also the fact that Deep Silver and their partners didn't do much to much to garner positive word of mouth. In fact, it's been quite the opposite.

And the problem is that reviews or word of mouth from people who played the game is, as a whole, mixed. Some good ones, some bad ones, but as a whole not something that comes out as a pleasant surprise for the average person.

It's not particularly encouraging that the report singles out Shenmue 3 as the reason for DS's negative reforecast. Well, I guess pessimism is part of being a fan of this series.

We lower our revenue estimate for Deep Silver from SEK 625m to SEK 550m in Q3’19/20e, mainly due to Shenmue III performing below our expectations.
Rough currency conversion

625m SEK = $6.48m = €5.96m = £5.00m
550m SEK = $5.70m = €5.25m = £4.40m

It means that beside Shenmue III selling below expectations the only lowered their forecast $780k, €700k, £600k.

If they got around 1/3 revenue of each copy sold and all the lowering is because of Shenmue III it means about 35k copies bellow more or less. Of course we are lacking a lot of info, but after realizing that they were using SEK it does not see that bad, although it does not seem good, but they admit they got the Epic Exclusive income.
The positive thing there is that they aknowledge that fan reception have been positive. We will see on the 19th

Yes, I do like they see the fans are happy

A little strange that they’d hire an external company to produce a forecast and not provide them with rough sales figures. If all they’re going off is the Gamestat figures, I can’t see much value in this forecast. I guess we’ll have a better idea next week (although I don’t see them publishing any actual numbers).

That they’re using the Gamestat figures to forecast sales seems all the more ridiculous when you consider that the Gamestat figures also include backer copies (which likely account for the vast majority of, if not all, the 50,000 Gamestat total).

It is terribly strange. They also don’t even attempt to guess at PC sales. Hoping next week gives us some clarity.

It is terribly strange. They also don’t even attempt to guess at PC sales. Hoping next week gives us some clarity.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d been told that sales were lower than expected and, in lieu of being provided with any actual hard data, grabbed the Gamestat figures.

If that’s the case, I suppose it all comes down to what Deep Silver’s expectations for S3 were. Regardless of whether or not they had unrealistic expectations of not, if it’s true that they’re unhappy with sales, it doesn’t bode too well as far as their continued involvement with the series goes.

How can a company not track the sales of their own game?

When they gave PC distribution rights to Epic, did they just sell Epic the right to sell it fo price, and Epic keeps all money made from sales and Epic does not have to let Deep Silver know how many copies were sold on the Epic store?

Back