Sega and Nintendo Minis Reigniting the Console war?

So ever since SF2SCE was revealed people are cranking up the complaints about the 3 vs 6 pad packaged with NA/EU versions. Also, people are speculating the 20$ retrobit 6 button controller to be Sega screwing over western country and Japan is getting special treatment by not having to dish out xtra 40$ to properly enjoy some of the pre-loaded 6 button enhanced games.

These non-functioning (but awesome!!!) accessories were revealed during today's livestream. Only confirmed for Japan so far, at a price of 3,980 Yen. They also showed off a nice carrying case.

The final 12(!!!) games were revealed:

Japan:
  • Tetris
  • Darius
  • Road Rash II
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Columns
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Monster World IV
  • Assault Suit Leynos
  • Langrisser II
  • Slap Fight MD
  • Snow Bros
  • Lord Monarch
US/Europe:

• Tetris
  • Darius
  • Road Rash II
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Columns
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Monster World IV
  • Strider
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Light Crusader
  • Eternal Champions

Note: The original Darius was never released for the MD/Genny back in the day. This release is an excellent homebrew version developed in the last couple of years. I remember reading about it a little while back and the author of the homebrew said they had no intention of releasing it to the public; it was just a passion project that they did. So it's great that they worked out a deal with Taito, M2, and Sega for it to be included here!

Road Rash 2, Darius, Wiley Wars, Toe Jam, Vectorman and Earthworm Jim! Hopefully they get in front of the hackers and give us an official M2 Sonic 3+Knuckles, Sonic CD (LOVE THE FAUX TOWER OF POWER!!!) and Earthworm 2 and Vectorman 2...!

Worst case all those will be hacked thru the USB. Does it include SD like the TecToy version from awhile back...?

Last edited:
Yea, this is quite the retro-mini fo sure.

Like dayum never realized that tetris is worth a million dollars to own a legit copy on genesis.

The third party line-up is solid as heck.

There is a bit of almost everything(Genres), forgotten gems, classic hits, and Uber-rare(legit) games.

This is the first in a really long time since I've seen Sega getting really hype mainstream exposure with positivity.

The only thing tripping me is about Sonic 3 and knuckles.

Why are there so many people crying about the lack of this entry on SNS tho?

Some even refers to this game as the "Shenmue" of the MD similar in the way its being treated.

Wasn't this game a hit tho on release & saw re-release?

Ps. Is this really how Sega wanna introduce casuals/non-sega fans to the VF series? They'll be scratching thier head wondering how is this really the legendary series housed in the Smithsonian museum permanent research collection?

US/Europe:
  • Tetris
  • Darius
  • Road Rash II
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Columns
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Monster World IV
  • Strider
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Light Crusader
  • Eternal Champions
Note: The original Darius was never released for the MD/Genny back in the day. This release is an excellent homebrew version developed in the last couple of years. I remember reading about it a little while back and the author of the homebrew said they had no intention of releasing it to the public; it was just a passion project that they did. So it's great that they worked out a deal with Taito, M2, and Sega for it to be included here!

Monster World IV was also never released outside of Japan on the original console. The first time the West got it was in 2012 as part of the Vintage Collection ports.

The only thing tripping me is about Sonic 3 and knuckles.

Why are there so many people crying about the lack of this entry on SNS tho?

Some even refers to this game as the "Shenmue" of the MD similar in the way its being treated.

Wasn't this game a hit tho on release & saw re-release?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles, despite being the greatest game ever made, sells like shit. In the original release, and every re-release, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 each sell more than double S3K. There are also reportedly issues with music licensing, although given how easy it is to replace music (and that it was re-released in 1996 with replacements for the "problematic" tracks) this is probably less of an issue than the fact that it doesn't sell.

The other thing is that you want to have a wide variety of games to attract the most people, so if 1/4 of the lineup are Sonic games you're kinda limiting yourself there; as a result, you pick the most popular games from the series. And Spinball for some reason.

My fingers had been crossed for the incredible "Ranger X" to be included here; alas, it wasn't meant to be...
Well, I still just might have to pick this up anyway; grew up on this damn system!

Ranger X is a real video game lover's game. It just seems to have been made by a team that really poured their passion into making a truly unique and technically marvelous experience.

I really don't have the money to be buying this shit, but fuck it I'm finally caving. ? Between M2 emulation of a lights-out good line-up, fixed up Megaman Wily Wars, english MWIV (still never played it) and brand new Darius M2 dev'd MD port I never had a chance.

Untitled.png

I played the fan translation of Monster World IV that came out a couple of years before the official translation. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I think it's an almost perfect game, the way it introduces new abilities and then presents you with situations where you can kind of infer that you might be able to use them in a way that it hasn't explicitly explained. The only thing that I didn't like as much is there is a labyrinth at one point, and I really couldn't see how it could be figured out other than pure trial and error.

I played the fan translation of Monster World IV that came out a couple of years before the official translation. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I think it's an almost perfect game, the way it introduces new abilities and then presents you with situations where you can kind of infer that you might be able to use them in a way that it hasn't explicitly explained. The only thing that I didn't like as much is there is a labyrinth at one point, and I really couldn't see how it could be figured out other than pure trial and error.

The monster world series, especially part 4 have some of the best genesis 16bit sprite works. It looks like something that can easily match Super nes's supposedly superior color pallets.

In a surprise announcement today, Konami revealed they are releasing a PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 mini! I will definitely be getting that, too.

Back