Sega are asking your views on Shenmue (and other Sega games)

Sega over the last two years have been better than the last ten years easily. Sonic Mania, the acquisition of ATLAS, pushing Yakuza to the west again, re-releasing Shenmue; I think they've done really well.

Panzer Dragoon I & II are getting remade too which is exciting (although I think the company who are doing it don't have the best credentials).

I'd sell someone left nut for a remastered Skies of Arcadia and Jet Set Radio Future...

Sure. But that's a shame, we should def talk about the politics of Shenmue. But I get why we wont.

Don't get where you're going with this, but this thread probably isn't the most appropriate. We're getting Shenmue III. Soak it in.

Yes it was a shame but still came across well overall. Did deserve much better though.
You skimped and released a half assed Shenmue HD. Fuck you, Sega.
If running YouTube ads, creating a series of "intro to" videos with Corey Marshall, and giving the game and its community considerable attention on social media is "sending it to die", then sure.

Regardless of how the games launched, SEGA did put themselves behind it for an advertising push.
The Yokosuka sacred spot maps too. Of which I took many from the town.

Sega over the last two years have been better than the last ten years easily. Sonic Mania, the acquisition of ATLAS, pushing Yakuza to the west again, re-releasing Shenmue; I think they've done really well.

Panzer Dragoon I & II are getting remade too which is exciting (although I think the company who are doing it don't have the best credentials).

I'd sell someone left nut for a remastered Skies of Arcadia and Jet Set Radio Future...

I really agree with this, especially how well they've brought back the Yakuza series with the Kiwami Remakes, 0, 6 and ports of 3-5 - Which if they release globally will seal my respect for Sega once more! Remember that during the last generation it looked like we wouldn't even get Yakuza 5 - Which we got 3 years later, digital only! We've seen yearly releases of Yakuza recently and I hope SEGA can keep up the momentum!

Also, shout out to Sonic All-Star Racing & Transformed - Some of the finest kart racing I've experienced since the original Crash Team Racing! I'm a little doubtful on what I have seen of Team Sonic Racing so far, but I am hoping it turns out well! Props alone for being able to play through the Campaign in Co-op which so many games these days can't - Onrush, Grip, Burnout Paradise...

I'm also keeping an eye on Streets of Rage 4, while I don't think SEGA are involved, I am hoping this will rise interested in the Beat'em Up genre once again - I selfishly Adore PS2's The Bouncer and have been looking for a 3D Beat'em Up in that fashion ever since! - All the onces I see released these days are made by indie dev's and focused on being retro, I want to see something with a decent budget behind it!

I've generally been on the PlayStation side of gaming, but always taken interest in SEGA and fully agree within recent years they've made a great comeback!

Last edited:
The survey seems to have been updated to focus on Sonic, Shining, Phantasy Star and some others. No mention of Shenmue anymore.

The survey seemed to ALWAYS be about those titles; the other legacy titles were just mentioned in a few selections, with the highlighted ones asking more pointed questions.

It appears that we may be having a fifth Phantasy Star on the horizon ;)

The survey seemed to ALWAYS be about those titles; the other legacy titles were just mentioned in a few selections, with the highlighted ones asking more pointed questions.

It appears that we may be having a fifth Phantasy Star on the horizon ;)
I want a new Shinobi though... Anyways, I hope if they're doing a new PS that they don't outsource it to a western developer like they did with SoR4.

LOL I think this is the same survey I did the other day where I said I was excited for their new console with google. Foot in mouth lmfao...

Here's hoping for more Shenmue. Clearly, SEGA have noticed the success of the Shenmue III crowdfunding campaign, or else I & II likely would have never seen the light of day.

In my opinion, Sega has been taking a lot of correct steps lately.

Acquiring Atlus was a good smart move.

They’ve given Yakuza another chance in the west (although that was more so in large part due to the success of 0 and the fact that it was a good entry point for newcomers who had always been interested in the series but daunted due on where to jump in.) Considering there was a time where we Yakuza fans were practically begging Sega to bring this series over and now we live in a time of renewed life for the series is pretty amazing.

Sonic Mania was a good move on their behalf. The first proper (and good) Sonic game in a long time. Granted they weren’t directly involved but they sure as hell didn’t have to let it happen either.

Hell, say what you will about their treatment of Shenmue but they did give Suzuki-san the license to do it under Kickstarter. They sure as hell didn’t have to do that, they could have held the IP and continued to do nothing with it and not even let Suzuki san go to Kickstarter with it.

Even if I wasn’t a fan of the rushed state in which they released Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, I’m still at least grateful we got it. I wish it had been better right out of the gate but I do think they have gone a long way to patch it since release.

I don’t know, I feel like Sega has made good steps lately.

I wish they were doing more. I would kill for Virtua Fighter 6. I need VF6 in my life and it saddens me that it’s nowhere to be seen.

I would also give my left nut for a re release of Panzer Dragoon Saga but let’s get real, it will never happen due to the fact that Sega lost the source code for that game and it would mean they would have to reverse engineer it (which is taxing and costful) or rebuild it from the ground up. Sad to say but I think it’s destined to stay on Saturn for the rest of its days.

Also, I would kill for the type of creativity they once had underneath their belt (Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi and so on) but sadly those days are long gone and look unlikely to return. Maybe they should let other developers take them to Kickstarter or something like Shenmue III?

But still, I can’t join the “fuck Sega” bandwagon. Maybe a few years ago when they were ignoring our pleas for Yakuza, but I feel they are turning a corner and actively trying to do better as of late.

Even while both Yakuza and Shenmue were in limbo (well, at least western Yakuza), Sonic was 50/50 decent and they were doing those awful Marvel games for $$$ recovering from Saturn/Dreamcast--I've never given up on Sega. Too deep in my bones and blood.

Don't forget to mentionn their Mega Drive Classic was delayed for quality. With how smart they've been with the new leaders, wouldn't surprise me if they took a look at Mega SG and booted ATGames. Apparently the Polymega is getting good buzz, so perhaps for a Saturn classic (gigantic pipedream, for the west, anyway) they could partner with them?

Also, just read a yesterday Panzer Dragoon Saga source code might not be lost anymore...?

Sega has done a lot of good lately, I can certainly agree with that. They still make horrible decisions often of course, but they are definitely reclaiming their name a bit in the last few years...

Yes!! Thank you! Now I need to find where the Saga code discovery was reported. They did mention the creator sort of didn't wanna talk about it/regretted bringing it up.

Back