SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

This is true. But personally I can't think of any other game from 99/2000 that has held up this well!

I think most of us were lucky to grow up in a gaming era where we saw innovation throughout and Shenmue was a part of that.

It holds up well given it's age.

Unfortunately modern gamers (younger ones anyway) on the whole have never experienced the retro scene when we did and don't appreciate it. They have mundane yearly cycle games that are "so much better".

I like it how Jet Cola has been translated to ジェットコーラ in Japanese. I knew they probably couldn't get the licencing for Coca Cola, so it's really nice that they have translated Jet Cola to Japanese to make it fit in more.

A lot of modern gamers don't give a shit about that unfortunately. Don't forget, a HUGE chunk of modern gamers weren't even born by the time Shenmue came out... Shenmue probably looks like a steam indy game to them...

I hope Shenmue makes their eyes bleed!!! Hahahaha! Kill them, Shenmue! Kill them!!! o_O

I have no idea what point they were trying to make, but the ban seems a tad harsh if I do say so.
I agree that a 1 week ban does seem pretty harsh for the seemingly odd comparison of Breath of the Wild with Shenmue II. If the explanation was that the level of presentation quality in Shenmue II matches that of present day AAA titles then that'd be a fair point.

I don't think reminisce's ban is harsh actually (and it's not really for us to comment on). The user has been repeatedly spamming that bizarre and cryptic comparison, with no context and without adding or providing any forms of constructive discussion. They were warned by a moderator to stop doing it, they ignored and continued to do it. Therefore, the suspension is warranted.

I don't think reminisce's ban is harsh actually (and it's not really for us to comment on). The user has been repeatedly spamming that bizarre and cryptic comparison, with no context and without adding or providing any forms of constructive discussion. They were warned by a moderator to stop doing it, they ignored and continued to do it. Therefore, the suspension is warranted.
Banning is warranted in that the people that can ban either own, operate, and/or moderate the Dojo. I was merely offerring an opinion. :) In other posts from reminisce it appears that he is a nice guy and a huge Shenmue fan.

After watching all three of the "What's Shenmue" episodes for the first time earlier tonight, I was left wanting a bit more. I felt the two minute videos were well put together for what they were, but could have been fleshed out a lot more or combined to make a longer single video. That would have at least cut out the repeated introductions of who the narrator is.

Banning is warranted in that the people that can ban either own, operate, and/or moderate the Dojo. I was merely offerring an opinion. :) In other posts from reminisce it appears that he is a nice guy and a huge Shenmue fan.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with reminisce's other posts, he seems like a nice guy and big Shenmue fan, but personally as an ordinary user, the spamming of BotW and Shenmue related images was a bit annoying in my opinion, and he was warned by a mod, like I said.

Anyways it's between him and the staff I guess.

That was the first time I'd seen the comparison. If he's been repeatedly spamming and had warnings, then throw away the keys!

I'm sorry I would like to add that I've really enjoyed reading posts from reminisce, if I could offer up any of my points to get him out of jail, I would :crying:

While he was warned to not do it so the ban is justified, I don't agree with him being told not to do it. It's a fair comparison and I'm not sure how it's a problem... I don't find it cryptic at all...

The user has already received two verbal and one official warning for this as well as a host of other things, yet deliberately chosen to ignore them. If anything a week is lenient.

Back on topic please.

Last edited:
The guys at Playstation Access are streaming and doing a video on Shenmue next Thursday. As I mentioned before always good to have more exposure

I'm sorry guys, but it genuinely cannot believe Sega & d3t are releasing the game in this state. I've never seen a HD remaster treated so poorly - Silent Hill HD comes to mind, but this really is just as disappointing. I've been hoping for a HD Remaster ever since the announcement of Shenmue 3's return in 2015... but this simply doesn't do the cinematics of the game justice - which for a story driven game is a big issue. I'm going to stick to playing Shenmue 2 on my Xbox 360 as that way I can stretch the screen at least - Or of course I am hoping for a Patch.

Not sure what you were initially expecting but remastered is the original content with the 16x9 support, enhancements and modern controls.

What you may be referring to is a remake. Even if you took the existing code and went and upper the textures of everything, you will notice all of Shenmues npcs are unique and not replicating which would be a memory nightmare. Outside of using higher res textures, there may be issues implementing them properly and the case of the Ryo mod from passport used in ryos house. I think some of the characters faces may turn out distorted in some cases as well due to lower poly models. Just wait for the game it will be worth it.

Back