SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

Love all the footage. The Bloom effect looks way better than on Xbox. Shame some people seems to always find something to nitpick when this even happening is a miracle. Before the remasters a lot of us were just expecting a plain jain 4:3 emulated renditions of the games, this is so much more.

I'm sorry guys, but it genuinely cannot believe Sega & d3t are releasing the game in this state. I've never seen a HD remaster treated so poorly - Silent Hill HD comes to mind, but this really is just as disappointing. I've been hoping for a HD Remaster ever since the announcement of Shenmue 3's return in 2015... but this simply doesn't do the cinematics of the game justice - which for a story driven game is a big issue. I'm going to stick to playing Shenmue 2 on my Xbox 360 as that way I can stretch the screen at least - Or of course I am hoping for a Patch.
xkEKqQt.jpg

I'm sorry guys, but it genuinely cannot believe Sega & d3t are releasing the game in this state. I've never seen a HD remaster treated so poorly - Silent Hill HD comes to mind, but this really is just as disappointing. I've been hoping for a HD Remaster ever since the announcement of Shenmue 3's return in 2015... but this simply doesn't do the cinematics of the game justice - which for a story driven game is a big issue. I'm going to stick to playing Shenmue 2 on my Xbox 360 as that way I can stretch the screen at least - Or of course I am hoping for a Patch.
As a seasoned gamer (read: old), I'll give you the advice that it would greatly benefit you to begin accepting what comes your way in terms of HD *re-releases*, and not take offense that a game does not conform to your pre-existing expectations. If you wish to be a lifelong gamer, or "Alive Gamer", as your name implies, I suggest you take this to heart.

i think it looks good - or good enough. the new bloom effect isnt too prominent and everything looks sharp and clean.
the only thing thats a bit irritating to me, is whenever the camera moves slowly around,
or when they show Ryo running around,
it looks like the framerate is stuttering. smooth and locked 30 fps do not stutter if the frame pacing is correct.
look at the framerate at 1:46, 2:05
so i really hope that this is just a recording or video problem.
i will be sad if it still suffers from framerate problems.

It's not a HD remaster though, is it? It's a rerelease. Why anyone would want to play a stretched version of Shenmue 2 on the Xbox 360 over Shenmue 1 and 2 rereleases on modern gen consoles is beyond me.

Not to mention that a) Shenmue 2 on the 360 isn't perfect and is missing shadows and textures, and b) this person could easily play the HD ports in 4:3 and do the same thing - i.e. stretch the screen.

Who the f*** really cares anyways? Do these versions look better than the original versions for the most part? Yes. Is playing these versions going to be superior to playing the original versions on original hardware? The answer seems to be pointing towards yes. Are they as enhanced and touched up as many other remasters? No, but at the end of the day it's two games in one and it's clearly a budget release. There are degrees of effort that goes into HD ports and remasters (and even remakes). There's nothing wrong with a mid-level HD port. Yeah, I'd love it to get the kind of treatment Final Fantasy XII got on PS4, but let's not forget that was a full retail price release and was just one game... It's always about balancing resources, finances and potential return.

I am satisfied as I know the chances of sega ever releasing this were very low until the community became vocal. Even a rerelease of the original would have been fine since the first games out of print and GDroms at some point will experience disc rot or degrade. Dreamcasts will also begin to fail as capacitors leak, yes its possible to solder or homebrew with the emu kits and rip a backup of the games but that still would prevent a legal option for new fans since there will never be any new Dreamcast versions.

Regarding emulators, Ive used chankast, demul, nulldc with demul being the most accurate but as a closed source emulator and even the 16:9 widescreen hacks and hex edits, there are still some issues in cutscenes and the harbor rendering properly.

The second game being limited in the US since it was only a PAL release and the xbox version not being emulated properly on the 360 also was creating shortages.

I am glad SEGA is rereleasing this to allow new fans to experience the game and I would say my expectations have been met with some modern enhancements as well.

Cant wait. Only 3 more weeks to go. The letter box cutscene in shenmue 2 is god awful. I'll be playing with 4:3 cutscenes all the way.

Had a huge smile on my face watching this. Can't wait!

Would it be possible to get these as a download associated with the Media section on the Main Dojo site? I'd like to burn a DVD for these. :giggle:

eughhhhhh Shennue 2's cutscenes look so bad, especially with that border design on. Who thought keeping them at that size was acceptable? With letterboxing and borders on both size they just look small.

Back