SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

eughhhhhh Shennue 2's cutscenes look so bad, especially with that border design on. Who thought keeping them at that size was acceptable? With letterboxing and borders on both size they just look small.

I believe it was said to be a coding issue that they could not expand them past the letterbox size as it would throw coding out of walk. Not a deal breaker for me.

Does anyone else remember how awful letter boxed cutsenes looked in the original Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast and Xbox?

No, me neither.

If you think it looks so bad, what the hell were you doing playing the original Shenmue 2 games all this time?

Does anyone else remember how awful letter boxed cutsenes looked in the original Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast and Xbox?

No, me neither.

If you think it looks so bad, what the hell were you doing playing the original Shenmue 2 games all this time?

It's not the same thing going from 4:3 fullscreen to 4:3 Letterboxed (16:9 simulation) from 16:9 fullscreen to 4:3 Letterboxed (16:9 simulation). It's going to be awful and it is going to take people's immersion away.

the only thing thats a bit irritating to me, is whenever the camera moves slowly around,
or when they show Ryo running around,
it looks like the framerate is stuttering. smooth and locked 30 fps do not stutter if the frame pacing is correct.
look at the framerate at 1:46, 2:05
so i really hope that this is just a recording or video problem.
i will be sad if it still suffers from framerate problems.

This has been present in every trailer so far. Some shots look fine and others look really stuttery. I pray it's their video capture because such terrible frame pacing would be unacceptable. 30FPS is perfectly fine with me but a choppy 30FPS would severely hamper my enjoyment.

No, me neither.

I don’t remember them being bad then either but that was also the age before HD and 4K as well. I didn’t say it was the best but not the worst. Anyways I’m just happy we are getting a re release and I’m gonna enjoy playing all over again nonetheless.

eughhhhhh Shennue 2's cutscenes look so bad, especially with that border design on. Who thought keeping them at that size was acceptable? With letterboxing and borders on both size they just look small.

Hold on a moment, let me adjust the needle, this record seems to be broken...

I've played Shenmue upscaled to either 720p or 1080p for the past ~5 years or so; looks great. Now, I'm not a purist about always playing in 4:3, but the stretched widescreen is uglier than the original aspect ratio. For the most part i keep them at 4:3.

Hold on a moment, let me adjust the needle, this record seems to be broken...

I've played Shenmue upscaled to either 720p or 1080p for the past ~5 years or so; looks great. Now, I'm not a purist about always playing in 4:3, but the stretched widescreen is uglier than the original aspect ratio. For the most part i keep them at 4:3.
That's not the point he's making. The point is the cutscenes are in 4:3 AND letterboxed, meaning if you just stretch the image it would be the same aspect ratio as full 16:9 and look great. This was an awful decision to make them that way. I hated the letterboxed cutscenes on the Dreamcast version, and that was far less jarring than playing in full 16:9 and going into these cutscenes that COULD be full 16:9 but for some reason is basically a shrunk down image...

That said, I'm just gonna play in 4:3 so it's no more jarring than the originals, sadly that's the best option for now...

That's not the point he's making. The point is the cutscenes are in 4:3 AND letterboxed, meaning if you just stretch the image it would be the same aspect ratio as full 16:9 and look great.

I understood the point; failed to state the obvious in my post: just stretch your wide mode option if you think it'd look fine. It won't but, as I mentioned, I'm not too crazy a purist about stretching old 4:3 games depending on my mood/distance of TV. Black bars aren't even that big a deal--such a melodramatic qualm. Letterbox isn't truly widescreen, so the same issues as Chapter 1 most likely apply to cutscenes in the sequel. Personally, I'm glad they went with keeping them as is, because zoomed images shouldn't be a standard, it should be a player's choice to adjust themselves. 4:3 is much greater than pixelation.

Besides, in S2 they actually hint at a QTE. Even after near two decades and dozens of play throughs of each game, sometimes i still get caught setting my controller down to be too engrossed haha.

I understood the point; failed to state the obvious in my post: just stretch your wide mode option if you think it'd look fine. It won't but, as I mentioned, I'm not too crazy a purist about stretching old 4:3 games depending on my mood/distance of TV. Black bars aren't even that big a deal--such a melodramatic qualm. Letterbox isn't truly widescreen, so the same issues as Chapter 1 most likely apply to cutscenes in the sequel. Personally, I'm glad they went with keeping them as is, because zoomed images shouldn't be a standard, it should be a player's choice to adjust themselves. 4:3 is much greater than pixelation.
I'm still not sure you understand... it's not just about stretching it horizontally, it's about zooming in completely. Not via your TV, but having it rendered that way natively. There wouldn't be any pixelation, you would just have the same image occupying your whole screen instead of a small part of it...

It's not about black bars, it's about having a tiny image with black all around it like some kinda Sega CD game... there's no reason for that at all...

I'm still not sure you understand... it's not just about stretching it horizontally, it's about zooming in completely. Not via your TV, but having it rendered that way natively. There wouldn't be any pixelation, you would just have the same image occupying your whole screen instead of a small part of it...

It's not about black bars, it's about having a tiny image with black all around it like some kinda Sega CD game... there's no reason for that at all...
LMAO youre right it is just like a sega cd game

Only guess why the didn't just change the field of view to zoom in the cutscenes is that there are a bunch of transitions to QTEs or other gameplay, where the black bars actually move out of the image. At these points there'd have to be a possibly jarring jump to zoom out again.

On a side note, the letterboxing actually gives the cutscenes in Shenmue II an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 like movies. That is slightly more black bars than the usual 1.78:1 of 16:9. Could be another reason for them keeping the original visuals but I really don't see the problem with a tiny bit of the black bars left or a tiny bit of the sides cropped off.

Only guess why the didn't just change the field of view to zoom in the cutscenes is that there are a bunch of transitions to QTEs or other gameplay, where the black bars actually move out of the image.
That was my thought as well, there's a lot of transitions. Oh well, 4:3 mode is fine with me, just a shame I'll be missing out on the 16:9 gameplay...

Here's the reality of it all:
Could the remaster have been better? Yes
Would spending the money it would cost to make all the improvements make more people buy it that it's financially sensible to do? No
Is Sega a business with shareholders that has to make money? Yes

This time next month you will be able to walk into a shop and buy Shenmue cheaper then you've been able to buy it online for the last 15 years. It will also be on a console that isn't a pain in the arse to plug into some modern TV's and in HD.

If people cared as much about this widescreen issue as they're making out you'd all vote with your wallet but at the end of the day it's not a big issue and you'll all buy it.

Last edited:
Would spending the money it would cost to make all the improvements make more people buy it that it's financially sensible to do? No

This time next month you will be able to walk into a shop and buy Shenmue cheaper then you've been able to buy it online cheaper then you've been able to buy any of the game online for 15 years. It will also be on a console that isn't a pain in the arse to plug into some modern TV's and in HD.

If people cared as much about this widescreen issue as they're making out you'd all vote with your wallet but at the end of the day it's not a big issue and you'll all buy it.

Amen.

This is where we agree...

This time next month you will be able to walk into a shop and buy Shenmue cheaper then you've been able to buy it online cheaper then you've been able to buy any of the game online for 15 years. It will also be on a console that isn't a pain in the arse to plug into some modern TV's and in HD.
For those of us that already have been playing our Dreamcast versions faithfully and maintaining them with modern technology, we were hoping for an upgrade. It's cool that most of you who have been missing out now get a game to play, but we were hoping for a definitive version that surpasses the previous entries. It's way too early to judge just yet, but some of these misgivings may keep the Dreamcast version the definitive version... Or even better emulation...

Of course we'll buy it, that doesn't mean we can't criticize it. I don't see anybody planning to boycott over this, but we can still mention it's faults. Shenmue is not beyond criticism, and there's nothing wrong with making criticisms...

Of course we'll buy it, that doesn't mean we can't criticize it. I don't see anybody planning to boycott over this, but we can still mention it's faults. Shenmue is not beyond criticism, and there's nothing wrong with making criticisms...

There's mentioning it's faults and then there's banging on about it. Would I like widescreen? Yes. But some people are acting like not having this will make the game unplayable with the amount they've gone on. 9 out of 10 people who play this will really not care so why would Sega? You agree with me that making such an upgrade doesn't make financial sense and that's what it comes down to at the end of the day.

I've been more critical of Shenmue then most on this forum in the past so you don't need to tell me.

It's just tiresome at this point. I've made constructive criticisms too (I'd rather have the DC version of II, I'd rather cutscenes were widescreen too, I don't like that some scenes look washed out or have weird lighting). I don't want to shut down debate or silence anyone, but it's just, you know, weeks and weeks after the announcement, we're STILL banging on about the 4:3 and letter-boxed cutscenes. It's been discussed to death. The technical reasons for both decisions in both games have been discussed and explained.

And I have my Dreamcast hooked up to my HD TV via VGA too and still play it to this day, but you know what? I'm perfectly happy with a HD version with widescreen gameplay, modern controls, dual audio, retouched textures and other minor improvements, as well as having a version to play on a modern console.

Again, we all have different values. Widescreen support is just much more important to others than it is to you, it's that simple...

Back