SEGA: 'What is Shenmue?' Series [UPDATE: EPISODE 3 IS OUT!]

...yeah! Missing belts, signs changed or removed, sun physically missing. How terribad!

*sigh* It's stuff like that which reminds me why I wish it was the Dreamcast version they were porting instead. It's probably because I played the DC version first and it's the one I've owned consistently and played the most (I did own the XBox version at one point, but sold all my Xbox games a long time ago), but the XB version always felt a bit... goofy to me. I don't know what it was. Hopefully with the Japanese voice work I won't notice too much, but I think the XBox subtitles translation, along with the different/missing textures, is still going to throw me.

Funny how it took until a high definition rerelease to notice yet another flaw in the Xbox version.

I do have to say that I'm genuinely impressed that they replaced the low-poly model during the big battle. Really a surprise after not getting the regular Ryo replaced with the Xbox model.

Agreed on the high poly 70 man battle model. Also, nothing is substantially different enough about the XBOX port to warrant such hate. I love th Dreamcast console and Shenmue 2 version as much as the next person, but seems a bit ridiculous. Besides, component HD with the added shadows and bloom being good at least at night (and bareable during day) actually makes is a nice little change up.

Agreed on the high poly 70 man battle model. Also, nothing is substantially different enough about the XBOX port to warrant such hate. I love th Dreamcast console and Shenmue 2 version as much as the next person, but seems a bit ridiculous. Besides, component HD with the added shadows and bloom being good at least at night (and bareable during day) actually makes is a nice little change up.

I agree, such a insignificant minor error should not be a cause for such negativity. The very best thing we can do is to support this and bring up maybe via twitter or email the issue so that development has a chance to patch it. SEGA had been very proactive regarding Yakuza 0 and responding to the community.

Here are the two versions of the Muddy Stream scene:

Dreamcast Version:

Xbox Version:

This is the first time I noticed that the belt was indeed missing from the Xbox version early in the scene, but it looks like it's back again later right after Shenhua's jump.
It's a very minor thing that maybe can be patched easily, but I think it's not big of a deal anyways.

Last edited:
So, the Iwao/Ryo flashback scene where he is teaching Ryo the Eblow Assault is gorgeous. A bit of slowdown, which I hope is not in the final release...

It's not just the missing belt (honestly, that's such a minor glitch/omission really), for me it's just that I personally prefer the look and feel of the Dreamcast version. The DC's version of that scene in the above Youtube comparison looks way better. And is the music missing or just too quiet in the Xbox version?

There is a lot of unnecessary hate for the Xbox version. Kinda funny.

Eh, call it hate if you want. It's just personal preference and my own opinion. I think it's understandable though. If you grew up with something you love - whether it's a game, a film, a TV show, a book etc - and then you realise there's another version that for all intents and purposes is the same, but has a few minor details that are different, then you're going to notice and it's going to bug you. Whilst someone else who grew up with that other version won't even notice and will think you're mad for getting worked up by something minor.

I just can't help it I guess. That doesn't mean that I won't play or enjoy these modern ports though. And I have played the XBox version before (in fact, I used to own it years and years ago), I just know and love the DC original, that's all.

The missing music on Xbox on that scene bums me out more than the belt tbh. Hopefully the re-release will add it back in.

The missing music on Xbox on that scene bums me out more than the belt tbh. Hopefully the re-release will add it back in.

That's the main thing that knocks me back too. It just doesn't feel right and really hurts the scene.

That's the main thing that knocks me back too. It just doesn't feel right and really hurts the scene.
On second thought that video of the Xbox version might be glitched because i found this other video of the Xbox version and the song is present. (video is time coded to where the song starts) I still would have prefered the DC version but hopefully any weird quirks will be ironed out on patches or maybe the PC modding community could come to the rescue.

Last edited:
The music thing is really weird. We have been discussing it here: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-ii-the-story-goes-on-music.116/

And I get it. I don't mind if anyone has a preference between the versions. I just don't like the elitist attitude some have. Like Shenmue II Dreamcast is like a $400 bottle of fine wine and Shenmue II Xbox is like a can of watered down beer that someone else has mixed with lukewarm water. Those people need to get over themselves.

The music thing is really weird. We have been discussing it here: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-ii-the-story-goes-on-music.116/

And I get it. I don't mind if anyone has a preference between the versions. I just don't like the elitist attitude some have. Like Shenmue II Dreamcast is like a $400 bottle of fine wine and Shenmue II Xbox is like a can of watered down beer that someone else has mixed with lukewarm water. Those people need to get over themselves.

Definitely not the case, I think some are more upset about Microsofts position and handling of the promotion of the game more than anything. The Xbox version wasn't terrible and in many cases had some improvements including the faster loading and the consistent framerate. The particular issue comes down to two things, the bloom effect and the fact most playing on the xbox are playing on an emulated version via the 360 and not the original console.

If we wanted to get technical, the original Japanese version with Coca Cola machines and Yuan with the male voice would likely be the most desired if the Xbox version was in anyway viewed as inferior.

The Dreamcast version stands out because it shows what the Dreamcast was capable of and there are some details that differ from the Xbox version, I have both and my preference is the Dreamcast not because of any particular improvements but nostalgia and using the DC controller, just something about cranking out that type of power on something like a Dreamcast kind of like someone being able to replicate original games on an IBM compatible over dosbox, that's all.

Definitely not the case, I think some are more upset about Microsofts position and handling of the promotion of the game more than anything. The Xbox version wasn't terrible and in many cases had some improvements including the faster loading and the consistent framerate. The particular issue comes down to two things, the bloom effect and the fact most playing on the xbox are playing on an emulated version via the 360 and not the original console.

If we wanted to get technical, the original Japanese version with Coca Cola machines and Yuan with the male voice would likely be the most desired if the Xbox version was in anyway viewed as inferior.

The Dreamcast version stands out because it shows what the Dreamcast was capable of and there are some details that differ from the Xbox version, I have both and my preference is the Dreamcast not because of any particular improvements but nostalgia and using the DC controller, just something about cranking out that type of power on something like a Dreamcast kind of like someone being able to replicate original games on an IBM compatible over dosbox, that's all.
And that is the reasonable stance I can totally get behind. But being around this place and others when IIx came out, there were a lot of people who just hated it because "it wasn't fair that North America didn't get Shenmue II on Dreamcast". And that was it. Every little thing was nitpicked to death in some cases. I agree with you that a lot of the hate it gets is for the business side of things in its history.

And then there's the complaining about the dub. I am so tired of hearing about that tired complaint. It's just like the first game's dub...main characters are mostly good or decent, and the side characters can range from good to odd to not so good. But to hear some people go on and on and ON about it being oh so terrible is just laughable. Like anyone could compare any of the main story's voice acting to something like this?
Just be objective, people. I can show you some bad examples of voice acting from both the I and IIx dubs, but the reactions to it are just hyperbolic.

Looking at the 70 man battle it seems they are using Ryo's model from shenmue 2, the jacket is higher res and his shoes are more rounded.View attachment 388
Ryo's model from from the Xbox version of Shenmue II? I don't see the resemblance apart from his shoes not being as pointy I guess. Judging from the cutscenes his jacket looks like it's the same res as it is on the DC, it doesn't look as sharp as it does on Xbox. And the sleeves on his jacket are exactly the same as the DC version while they're noticeably thicker on Xbox. Ryo's face also looks just like it does in the first game, he always looked a little different in Shenmue II regardless if it was Xbox or DC. It's very subtle but I could always see a difference. I believe they're using the same model from the original Shenmue but with some added polygons on his shoes, nothing more.

I grew up on the Dreamcast version, but the Xbox version always seemed much superior to me. Improved water, mit maps, frame rate; I just don't get it. Yes there are minor issues that are barely noticeable, but as far as minor details go, some fail to mention that the Xbox version adds some additional signs of its own. Bloom effect also looks very nice, and I'm happy the devs are refining this bloom effect further.

Yeah this reworked bloom is much nicer than the original effect on Xbox. It was very overly done at the time, so it is nice to see it looks better this time and they added it to part 1 as well for consistency.

Back