Shenmue 0 prequel ideas

blixt

Banned
This thread is made specifically for us who likes the idea of a prequel.
Whether it will be made after the main series, before, or never, our ideas can still paint beautiful pictures in our minds.

Updated! - 2020-09-08 !

Mainly I was thinking about an Official Version and what it could be about.. But there could also be ideas for: a fan game, different versions of existing fan games, or a parallell universe.
It doesn't have to be a game either. It could be ideas for an anime or manga.

Some of these ideas could also be inspiring for other projects not related to a prequel, or to Shenmue.

A Shenmue 0 (prequel) is the only logical way I can think of Ryo returning to Japan.
It would feel like a Shenmue 1 game but at the same time, very different and new.

I'm here to share my ideas but also to take part of your ideas..
A prequel could (to some people) be the ´perfect Shenmue game´ because it could go deeper into the first world of Shenmue we all associated the series with in the first place.

(Keep in mind that I'm definitely not a native English speaker so there will probably be grammatical errors here and there)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Japan where it all begun...

The Every day life, The Story and The World:

The Shenmue 0 World is very familiar and different at the same time.
The same Yokosuka, Yamanose, Sakuragaoka, Dobuita, The Harbour, The Buss and so forth but everything is slightly different because this plays out in maybe 1985 or early 1986. I would prefer if Ryo isn't too young but let say he just tuned 17 years old in this story.

Ryo would still be going to school, where his relationship with Nozomi was better. At this time, before Iwao's death. We would see a different Ryo. Not as stuck in the future, not full of questions and anger. He talks about becoming a martial artist master and teacher, like his father. This Ryo is a little happier, more in the present moment.

(Ryo travel by Buss to: Nozomi 's house, to School, the Harbour, and other new locations.)

Ryo's relationship with Nozomi is deeper (Um, *cough*) and more personal. They could have a romantic relationship, more or less.
By time, after all that would have happend story-wise they may decide to be "friends" or something along those lines, which would explain why he was a bit distant to her in Shenmue 1.

In this world you can actually visit Nozomi's house and spend time with her, in a similar way you do with Shenhua in Sh III. As you could not do that in the original Shenmue 1. I always thought when playing the original ´Where does Nozomi live and why can't I visit her?´, such a wasted opportunity in my opinion. We all love Nozomi. I would love to know more about her.

School life and Dojo training is part of the gameplay/story. Not only at home but at a dojo outside of his home as well.

Ryo would wake up in the same room as in Shenmue 1 but he will regularly go to school which is a new added area to the Shenmue 0 world.
Kind of like Persona 5 in a way. But with that Shenmue depth to it. At school Ryo can take part of different activities after school.
The player maybe shouldn't feel forced to go to school, so it could be skipped. It will be skipped anyway as the story unfolds because Ryo needs to fight
some thugs - as usual.

The Plot should involve maybe some gang, thugs and maybe even something that is related to the Chi You Men, but not directly.
Who knows. Maybe Ryo can fight some of the same thugs as he did in Shenmue 1. Atleast some of them could have lost their memories after being knocked out by Ryo, which could later on explain why they didn't know him from before in Shenmue 1.

The story should mostly (or entirely) be adapted in a way that fits in with Shenmue 1 as Shenmue 0 happened before everything in Shenmue 1 happened.. Things should make sense story-wise. Obvious example; Ryo souldn't sparr with Gui Zhang because they didn't know each other in Shenmue 0. But that's just one extreme example.

But at the same time. A Shenmue 0 could be made with a remake of Shenmue 1 and 2 in mind.
This would open up more ways for Shenmue 0 to play out and change the story slightly of 1 & 2 but that would be risky because we don't have the full story of Shenmue yet with 4 & 5. So anything changed in 1 & 2 could ruin the story of 4 & 5.

I personally find it fully acceptable to not be excessively accurate with the details connecting between Shen 0 and 1.
Shenmue 0 could maybe be seen as part of the main series, or as a spin-off, or a pure fan-service game, or some mix between all of those three. But regardless if Ryo and Nozomi never were togather in Shenmue 1 I still want them to have a relationship or some kind of romantic connection in Shenmue 0.
- To me, personally, I wouldn't be bothered with the idea of Shenmue 0 being a parallell universe story that is slightly different from what we expect to see related to Shenmue 1. But it shouldn't be anything massively different.

I'm talking about the smaller differences that I believe won't bother anyone.
- I also want to add that things can be added that doesn't make sense as an easter egg, or as somerthing unlockable.

I mean, for example. In Shenmue 1 you could buy Choclate, Potato Chips and Candy with Shenhua's face on it. No one got angry because of that because it didn't ruin the whole experience. It only made us smile!

Game Content / Details
The unused, left out content from the Beta versions of Shenmue 1 and 2 could be used.
Whether the content still exist in in hands of Sega or not. Things like the Bicycle could still be used.
My suggestion is that the bicycle can be won as a price when you draw a lottery ticket.

Camera (similar to Shenmue II for the first Xbox). And also a photo-mode like the game Horizon / God of War, where you can freeze time, zoom out of the character, take shots in customized angles where you can adjust the light and so forth to get the perfect shot.
Also that you really can zoom in on objects. Like even more than you can in first person viewing.

Mark and His brother (The Harbour)
Now. Ryo did not know about mark until later on in Shenmue 1.
But. Marks story, and also the story about his brother could maybe be told in some other way, perhaps with the perspective
system?
I think Mark had such a warm personality and it would be a waste not to know more about him and what truly happened to his brother. Even if it's just something small.

Optional Food-System
I also had the idea of keeping to further develop how Ryo hand picks all the things that he buys. Like the food and that the food can be put inside the fridge at home, and/or that Ryo can check the fridge at home and pick things that Ine-san has bought.
Some people probably think this is nuts and unnecessary but I love to pick things up, zoom in on them and rotate items with Ryo's hand. I would love to see Ryo both drink the soda and eat many different types of food in an animation!

Maybe there could be an (optional ?) level-system where certain foods with more protein levels up certain moves more effectively!
I also thought that if Ryo eat certain carbs/proteins right after he has been practicing, the more effective he can recover and there by also level up and getting stronger with certain moves. Like having the food system more connected with the training and every day life. Like a chain.

But instead of having the stress factor like it had in Shenmue III for some people. You never run out of energy, except maybe after a hard training session. But that eating is entirely or partialy optional.

I also like to have social ´level-up-system´ that opens up abilities as well ass situations based on how well he interacts with Nozomi and his friends. ..And also how well he performs in school. Things like that..

The Jacket Story - How Ryo Got His Jacket
(Hiki's idea - a good one)
"We can choose if Ryo will wear the jacket and the jeans, or just the white shirt and the jeans. In winter if Ryo goes out only with the white shirt and jeans he can say... "It is really cold today, maybe i should put my jacket" and in summer if Ryo goes out with the jacket he can say... "It is really hot today, maybe i should take my jacket off." I love details like this in games, and the Shenmue games have nice details like this.

The Jacket Story: In Shenmue III Ryo said to Shenhua that the first thing that he bought with his first salary was his Jacket, someone correct me if i’m wrong but i remember like this. In Shenmue 0 we can start with Ryo without the jacket, and one of the first things in the game can be Ryo having a job and buying the Jacket, it can be a nice and special moment seeing him putting the jacket for the first time, and then he decides to quit the job to go to school, maybe because of his father."

- Hiki

After the ´Jacket Story´ I think that being able to buy more clothes for Ryo and changing them just like in Shenmue III is a good idea as well. I also wan't to be able to change to clothes for Nozomi. And maybe other characters too.
I'd like to see variation in clothing for especially the main characters where they dress differently depending on what season it is. But it makes more sense if all characters including the NPC's dress differently in different seasons of course.
I just mean there could be more variation for the main characters.

The Story Behind the Family and Friends Photos in Shenmue 1. (Hiki's idea!)
"In Shenmue 1 we saw two photos with Ryo in a time before his father death, in Shenmue 0 we can show the days or the day that they took this photos, we can tell the story of what happen in the days they took this photos, i think is a nice idea."

- Hiki

(One of the Photos were captured in autumn where you see the autumn leaves behind Ryo and his friends. This would fit in well with a prequel, especially more obvious with a full year story.)

Full Year Story.
In a full year story you would see all four seasons of japan. A very beautiful transition with each season having it's own mood that can work well togather with how the story plays out.

The Tournament (Suzaku's idea - a good one)
"Also it could be something like The Karate Kid, where Ryo's goal in Shenmue 0 would be to win the tournament that took place just before the beginning of Shenmue 1, the one that left the little bruise/scar on his face (confirmed by Yu)." - Suzaku
- I think that is a wonderful idea. In my opinion it shouldn't be the only thing but defenetly one of the main things in the story! To practice your skills for a Tournament just like "The Karate Kid" could be amazing!

The movie theatre, that were under some building work in Shenmue 1 could be open and functional in Shenmue 0.
My idea is that either Ryo fight the bad guys in there, or maybe Ryo goes there with Nozomi to watch a movie when suddenly there's a fire and smoke start to spread out, because of a thug wanted to take revenge on Ryo for beating his thug friends ass.
-Or something better then that! But something that explains why it's closed and under re-construction in Shemmue 1.
You could also actually use this theatre to watch short films. Perhaps with SEGA game commercials before the actual movie plays.

In Yamanose (Shenmue 1), In Sakuragaoka there were construction builders standing next to a digging machine.
This could potentially have a connection to Shenmue 0 in some way.
Maybe the house was burned down because of Chai playing with his matches ;). Okay let's keep Chai out of this game, I like him but not that much.

The Map of Yamanose and Dobuita could be extended without changing anything that were before. But only extended in a way that makes sense.

Ryo can't ride a forklift yet, but this could be added anyway. Or it could be seen as a side thing, or made as an easter egg.
There's other jobs that Ryo could have but.. I honestly think his school life will make him busy and that would be more interesting for us to focus on.

The Battle System:
The same system, or a very similar system as the original two games but more fine-tuned and much smoother controls.

Flashback scenes and Shenhua dreams:
In the Flashback-Scenes we could see Ryo where he's little. Just small glimpses that gives his personality more depth.
Now, the story of Shenmue is being told from Ryo's perspective. However there are a few exeptions that I remember but nothing big.
But the dreams are coming from Ryo, and he was dreaming of Shenhua in Shenmue 1. I want to see these dreams again in a prequel but different.
To just see Shenhua in Ryo's dreams creates a stronger connection to the future games. I also had an idea of Ryo having nightmares that includes murky or dark images of Lan Di and other bad guys as well.
This could possibly be used as a way for newer players to have a future ´aha-moment´ when they run in to these bad guys. The nightmares could perhaps open up the curiosity of what's coming next.

The first Shenmue began with a scene where we see Ryo running back home because he saw that black suspicios car heading towards the Hazuki Residence.
I came up with the idea that the main ending for Shenmue 0 would be a happier one, and/or would have an unlockable/additional ending where Ryo sees this car.
And here is a cool scene that came up in my mind.
Imagine Ryo seeing this car passing by really fast (in reality), but the scene slows down to slow-motion. As he turn his head to the car the camera zoom in on Ryo's eyes as his eyes locks directly, deeply into Lan Di's cold eyes. This scene cuts between Ryo and Lan Di's eyes a few times before the scene gets back to real time speed. (add some suitable music to that).
This is the first moment where Ryo instinctly feels that something is wrong. His sixth sense kicks in at a fraction of a second as he then sees the car head towards his house. The scene where he runs back to his house can be playable (or a cutscene) where you also could see the cat that was run over by the black car, on the side of the road.
When he reaches the house the scene is over.. OR, the entire scene with Lan Di vs Iwao is remade and/or longer and a more detailed than the original scene.
The scene where Lan Di esacpes with the mirror could be longer for example in this way: You see Lan Di sitting in his car, holding the mirror, smirks and says something about what he wants to do with the mirror.

Iwao Hazuki's Funeral ?
One thing I have been thinking about is how a funeral scene would look like.
In Shenmue 1 there was never a scene of this. If there would be a scene I think it could make an emotional impact.
It all depends on how it's made. I always thought for my self.. When did the funeral take place? Who were there at the funeral?
How did the ceremony look like? I would like to know..

Friends:
We can maybe see how Ryo and Tom met for the first time - and how Ryo got along with his other friends.
How did Tom get to Japan and what is his life story. Could there be more reasons for Tom to travel back home? Who is that girl that he's working with selling hot dogs? And by the way. I would love to be able to not only buy hotdogs from Tom, but also to see Ryo eat them. That would be nice. Like the drinking cutscene but with hotdogs instead, ofcourse with the line "Mmh, nom-nom, *swallows*, aah good".

The Motorcycle friend (what's his name again?) is someone we know very little about. But a friend so loyal that he could let the thug-magnet named Ryo borrow his bike (to save Nozomi and fight the thughs), must mean that they had a special bond as friends. Right? Would you let Ryo handle your motorcycle? It might get scratches!

The older lady that says "little boy Ryo" will continue to do so, every, single, time he buy candy or talk to her!

Family:
We could get to know Iwao more, what his personality was like, and to see how he raised Ryo into the person he is "today".
Here we have special father and son opportunities that could strengthen the feeling of "loss" for the player when playing Shenmue 1 but at the same time
strengthen the appriciation of what he taught Ryo, which may give the player more of a sense of hope and drive forward. Especially for newer players.

We could experience more funny/stupid momets with Fuku-san. Who knows, maybe Fuku-san got that Pig Money Box from Ine-san on his birthday just to learn how to save money. Fuku-san could be the funniest character in the game and we may get to know more about him as a person.
What is Fuku-san's story? Who are his parents? Where did he come from?

There could be flashback scenes of Ryo's mother. We never saw her. What did she looked like? Did she have something in common with Ryo in terms of looks and/or personality?
For example. A flashback scene of young Iwao and how he met Ryo's mother and a scene where we also see how she's holding the little dyper-version of Ryo in her arms.
Also the story about how she died (I don't remember this ever have been explained).
Maybe a father-son-moment scene of Iwao and Ryo fishing at the Harbour when Iwao mentions her death and what she was like when she lived. Or something..

Added area: Nozomi's house.
In this Shenmue 0 world, you could actually visit Nozomi's house and spend time with her, in a similar way you do with Shenhua in Sh III. As you could not do that in the original Shenmue 1. I always thought when playing the original ´Where does Nozomi live and why can't I visit her?´, such a wasted opportunity in my opinion. We all love Nozomi. I would love to know more about her.

NPC's - and - their Backstories
I would like to see the NPC characters come to life even more. Extended conversations and at least more about each character in text. Maybe there could be something similar to a "passport disc" with additional information to the NPC's?
Maybe you could ´unlock´ more info about each NPC. Each NPC could also have photos added to its personal info. That could bring them to life even more. There are probably even more ideas of how you could make the NPC's more ´real´ and interesting. Any ideas? Shenmue 0 could have both familiar NPC's form Shenmue 1 + ´new´ ones that come and go.

Added area: The School.
Ryo will spend time in school. It's partly mandatory, and partly optional to do so.
Here Ryo will answer the teachers questions and he could have tests later on. If he get a good score he gets a price from Nozomi (a technique scroll?) and/or he could get more popular in his class which opens up new conversations with his class mates that could lead to different things. There will also be a gym class of some sort, but that's optional.
I would love to see a social conversation system in Shenmue 0 with multiple options but not overly detailed like in ´Mass Effect´. But some social bonds goes deeper than others. For example the ones between Ryo and Nozomi.

In Shenmue III Ryo said to Shenhua that; some of his teachers in school were annoying. This creates opportunities for funny moments of Ryo joking with his teachers. Maybe Nozomi will tell him to behave!
The school could be large, it could be smaller, but I'd love to explore the entire building both inside of it and outside.

How a prequel could be possible:
I know the chances are slim and second to none existent.
The ground work for Shenmue 3 is there, with all its assets. SEGA could use the character model of Ryo if YS gives them permission to do so.
I honestly don't know who's having the right to make a prequel. But I do think it is SEGA. But let's not focus on this part but instead the story ideas.

Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 Remake:
The foundation of a Shenmue 0 could lay ground for a remake of the first two games.
This is ofcourse just imagination. But everything starts with a thought. When all the assets are there new doors opens up.

Other stuff:
My main focus here was just one prequel. However you may think it would be good to leave space for another prequel?
This is just in theory. But Let say in Shenmue 0 Ryo would have just turned 17. That could leave room for another prequel -before- the first prequel when he was 16 or closer to 17 maybe. It could also be a prequel, that happened after the first prequel but that wouldn't be a good idea I think.
I personally prefer just one well made prequel to be honest. A second prequel wouldn't have much to build upon, right?

The thing is that this is probably the only way for us to return to Yokosuka. Either a prequel or a massive remake of Shenmue 1.

The prequel would have the entire world of Shenmue 1, plus added areas, new functions, improved models, more details and much more when it comes to the gameplay mechanics. And Yes, that includes both Jet Cola and Casette Tapes.

Daily Yokosuka Newspaper.
To deepen the world of Shenmue 0 (and/or any of the coming sequels) I came up with the idea of a Yokosuka Daily Newspaper. Actually this was inspired by some fan-art image of a newspaper. This can deepen the world of Shenmue where you can actually buy it and read the news of what's happening around your town. Both things Ryo have done / experienced -and- happening in the Shenmue-world that the player won't experience -will be in the newspaper. You can read about people (the NPC characters) personal lives for example you can read interviews of the people living there. Whatever the subject might be.
You can even find phone numbers and so forth. There will also be place for humorous articles just for fun.

There could be funny headlines outside the shops that sell newspapers. Maybe Ryo can even subscribe to have the paper sent home. I don't know how this works in japan. Just a fun idea!
You can also cut out coupons and get certain things at a lower price + drawing extra tickets for a higher chance of winning a price.

Ryo could find different types of clues by reading the newspaper, or find clues to unlock certain easter eggs as well.
There are many ways to be creative with this..

Boat Chapter
Of course, many would agree that the boat chapter could be a separate "game" or DLC.
But in my opinion, since it's such a confined area (a perfect place to create a small, dense and extra-detailed Shenmue world)
I think that it would be awesome to have a Shenmue 0 + a short movie of Shenmue 1 (like in Shenmue IIx) and then add the Boat Chapter in the same game as a bonus.

Shenmue 0's own (separate) Boat Chapter ´Story´ [a part, bound together with the other story-parts of Shenmue 0]
Since Shenmue 0 will have the harbour area. I came up with the idea that a ´new boat chapter´ could be made where Ryo has found out about -something- related to a boat/ship at the harbour..

(This would play out at night time. I see warm yellow lights, darkness with shadows from a few people, cats and perhaps birds moving. Maybe this could be at autumn and a little bit colder. We see a few leaves on the ground. We see Ryo's breath in the cold. The more he runs the more he breathe, and its noticable. The harbour should be coler than elsewhere anyways. I get a certain warm yet cold and mysterious feeling for this part in terms of ´atmosphere´.

For example;
1. Nozomi (or one of his friends) could have been kidnapped
2. The thugs/the gang may have stolen something important from Ryo (an item)
3. Ryo may have followed clues leading him there and/or by his curiosity (he's young and a little ´stupid´ like a typical teenager) which then leads to him getting detected - confrontated and then it leads to a massive fight where Ryo kicks thugs offboard - through windows - into things that break - old vases - and so forth, and these thugs could be smugglers, or something.
4. I see Ryo being involved in some type of long and interesting detective work before he finds out about this boat.
5. Police Involvement: Ryo may be -in-directly- involved in a police investigation / case trying to solve and get to the root of these problematic thugs, or gangmembers. I see Ryo a little bit like Eddy Murphy in Beverly Hills Cops but I don't know why, I dont remeber what the films were about but you get what I mean. I'm taking about that vibe. And those films were from the 80's which helps a lot!
6. Ryo may officially, or, unoficially solve the case and perhaps gets officially acclaimed for his work!
7. If the boat / the ship is high enough you could get up and get a nice -new- view point over the harbour.

( I want to add that Shenmue 0 should further develop a sense, a vibe, a FEELING of living in the 80's ! )

Gui Zhang and Ryo fighting each other in the dark.
As you know. Ryo didn't know anything about Gui Zhang in Shenmue 0. But, I came up with a nice idea where they can meet, fight each other and go separate ways without seeing each other. A fight in the dark.
Gui Zhang knows about the boat. He's got his own problem with these thugs/smugglers and want to get rid of them or scare them away from the harbour. (This could play out in the boat, like in a large storage area -or- in a warehouse.)
Ryo and Gui Zhang happen to be at the same place, at the same time. Like it's ´destiny´. They fight these thugs on separate parts of the boat until Ryo (or some thug) accidentally start a fire which leads to the power going out, which then leads all lights going out in the entire ship. The player will see Ryo and Gui Zhang but in a darker image where they bump into each other. All the thugs are gone but both think of each other as a ´bad guy´. So they have this awesome fight in the dark. Having to use their other senses which later leads to Gui Zhang (or Ryo) fleeing the scene at the end because no one loses it. They never saw each other again, until in Shenmue 1 of course.
Good fan service for people like me who love Gui Zhang. They are also quite equally as good fighters.

- I got one interesting idea, like an easter egg at the end of the Shenmue Series. I'm pretty sure shenmue won't end in japan

and we won't see anything from japan. What if you could, let say in Shenmue V unlock a movie, or a playable part where you
go back to visit everyone in japan again. Megumi is a bit older and taller, Fuku-san has changed -studied- and started working somwhere, and so on. Where you would see how people had changed after Ryo had been gone.
Where they may also have a pary, like a festival-vibe (or really an actual festival) where they celebrate Ryo coming back again. Maybe -Hopefully- Shenhua is there with him to celebrate. Maybe she's pregnant as well... ;) with a Ryo 2.0.
Nothing related to a prequel, just a funny idea that I got. It could be seen as something unrelated to the main story. Just for fan service, you know.

Ryo and a homeless man´.
Ryo meet a new friend at the harbour. It's not the homeless man from Shenmue 1 but someone else.

It all begins with Ryo saving this man from comitting suicide. (I'm not sure if the saving part should be within the gameplay or a cutscene, because if Ryo fails, will the man die? It's a little bit too gruesome for a Shenmue game so let's skip that part.

This man ended up at the harbour because of a family tragedy combined with horrible working conditions at his job wtih a merciless boss which lead to him losing his job beacuse he underperformed due to the depression of his loss. Something along those lines...

( It could otherwise be that his wife divorced him, and / or, that his wife is still alive -and that he lost someone else in his family and the reason they're not together is that he left her out of shame, because he lost his job. -That happens in Japan, for real.)

This part will show that Ryo is well mannered, the better part of Ryo. A young man with a good heart that wants to make the world a better place. This is where the -social interaction leveling system- plays part.

Ryo will help this middle aged man in multiple ways and support him. The more he helps him and the more successful Ryo is in helping him in different tasks. The stronger their bond becomes. (Rrather than having this system for lots of NPCs I'd rather have a much deeper story for fewer NPCs).
This man is a former martial artist and regularly practice in and behind the warehouses. He teaches Ryo about three awesome techniques or punch/kick combinations, or even throws, Judo or something else. Each one of those three are taught to Ryo depending in their ´bonding-level´. Ryo will get the third and the most powerful technique near the end.

The end of the story is that Ryo will help this man get back on track. Ryo will save his life, maybe help the man re-unite with his wife (or other family member, depending on what story suits best), and Ryo will help this man get a new and much better work. Ryo will then be thanked and get a final (big) reward for this.
- I see multiple endings. Let's say four endings or maybe more but as an example:
Ending 1 (different scenes depending on character-bonding-level: Ryo fail to help the man.
Ending 2: Ryo helps the man in some way. But not as much as the man needed.
Ending 3: Ryo helps the man in most ways but still not all the way..
Ending 4: Ryo successfully helps the man and truly saves his life.

Manga
Shenmue 0 and its story-parts, The Boat Chapter, Iwao's story, Ren's story, and much more could be made as manga series.

But that wouldn't be the same as a game. Like at all!
But still, I'd buy it, I'd read it, I'd enjoyed it, and I'd love it.

Iwao's prequel:
Another prequel ((perhaps after Ryo's story in Shenmue 0)) that could be made is the life story of Iwao Hazuki.
This would involve Sunming Zhao and what happened to him. Their time in Bailu village, and so on..

Sunming Zhao knew Yunshen Yuan (Yunshen Yuan is Shenhua's adoptive father).
Sunming Zhao (Lan Di's father) was also one of Yuanda Zhu's best friends.

It would also tell us about Ryo's mother ("Akane"?)
and how she met Iwao, and where they met for the first time.

(Now, we haven't reached the end of the Shemmue series yet, but, especially after its' done this could be a way for the series to live on. Who ever that would be able to develop it.)

Shenmue 0 prequel / Iwao's Story prequel - Use of YS's ´Perspective System´
Not that I'm overly interested in it but the perspective system could be used as an experiment in any type Shenmue prequel or spin-off. It could be used on a smaller scale / just a small part of the game to see how it works out. I don't exactly know how YS wanted it to function. But seeing the same story from different perspectives is still an interesting idea.

All your ideas are welcome.. You don't have to agree with me or anything. This is just ideas!
How would you like it to be? Any Ideas?
Feel free to share your ideas! ... the story goes on

Well first off, Ryo is distant towards females because of an incident that occurred when he was eight. The cutscene where Iwao is lecturing Ryo about friendship was due to being teased by a friend of his for protecting Nozomi from some bullies. Ever since then, Ryo has been reserved around females; a sentiment compounded further after he starts his quest for vengeance. At the end of Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka, there is dialog indicating Ryo has feelings towards Nozomi, but is hesitant to express them.

As for the construction site in Sakuragaoka:

Screenshot_20200827-145908_Suka Pass.jpg

Personally what I want from a Shenmue prequel is the story of Iwao Hazuki. Since Shenmue III didn't address his backstory much, I'd like to see more of Iwao's training under Master Feng along with how he met Sunming Zhao and Yuanda Zhu. If not addressed in a potential Shenmue IV or V, I'd like to know how Sunming died and their connections to the mirrors.

Last edited:
If not addressed in a potential Shenmue IV or V, I'd like to know how Sunming died and their connections to the mirrors.

I can guarantee this will be answered if Shenmue is concluded. Outside mirrors, it’s the most pivotal question and really driving force behind everything that’s occurred post events in Shenmue 1. I have a feeling discovering the real way Sunming died, will have seismic affects on the story.

Last edited:
Can I just say that Shenmue 0 would be a great way to make use of the truly remastered environments that were scrapped? Not to mention that it could be a good opportunity to showcase the character perspective system, too. We could have two main characters, Ren and Ryo, with two entirely different stories. The contrast between Ryo's relatively trivial problems (romance, high school bullies, winning his martial arts tournament, etc) and Ren's thug life as the leader of the Heavens would be nice to see.

For some reason, I think it would be cool to play as Wong too. Imagine if we had the ability to steal from the people of Hong Kong/Kowloon. The rapport system could be used in a unique way here, imagine interacting with people you stole from in a FREE quest. :LOL:

Instead of Sega wasting money on a Shenmue 1&2 remake I would love for Sega to co finance and produce Shenmue 0. We already have the assets for Bailu Village so this would be a slam dunk(development wise). Also keep Niawou or Bashia.

They could tell the story of Iwao & Suming Zhao. Also revealing Ryo mother(which might be Shenhua mother also) and the importance of the Dragon & Phoenix mirrors. We could also see appearances from Yamagashi, Master Chen, Yuan da Zhu, little Xiuying🤣. The woyld be a fantastic game and would give us Shenmue fans a proper send off, but SEGA DOES WHAT NO ONE WANTS.

Hey blixt, thanks for creating this thread, i read everything you wrote, your ideas for Shenmue 0 are amazing, i pictured everything in my head and it was awesome. Ryo going to school, talking and trainning with his father, we can have flashbacks about Ryo’s mother. Going to Nozomi’s house, the idea about the movie theatre is really good, the tournament, everything about Shenmue 0 is awesome, i really love this idea.

My ideas right now:
Date and the Weather/Season system: The game can start on november 1985 and end in november 1986 where the first Shenmue begin, my idea is to have a full year in the game. The seasons in Japan are well defined, we can have a Shenmue game with all the seasons, and in my opinion this can be so beautiful, every season have its colors, wheather and beauty. We can even have a beautiful scene everytime a season ends and other starts.

We can choose if Ryo will wear the jacket and the jeans, or just the white shirt and the jeans. In winter if Ryo goes out only with the white shirt and jeans he can say... "It is really cold today, maybe i should put my jacket" and in summer if Ryo goes out with the jacket he can say... "It is really hot today, maybe i should take my jacket off." I love details like this in games, and the Shenmue games have nice details like this.

The Jacket Story: In Shenmue III Ryo said to Shenhua that the first thing that he bought with his first salary was his Jacket, someone correct me if i’m wrong but i remember like this. In Shenmue 0 we can start with Ryo without the jacket, and one of the first things in the game can be Ryo having a job and buying the Jacket, it can be a nice and special moment seeing him putting the jacket for the first time, and then he decides to quit the job to go to school, maybe because of his father.

Flashbacks: Flashbacks with a really young Ryo, and this flashbacks can be playable. We can see Ryo’s mother and more about Iwao, we can see a lot of interesting things in the flashbacks.

Characters:We can add more to the stories of a lot of characters, characters like Tom like the OP said. Mark can appear again and we can see his brother, we can see more about Ryo’s friends and much more.

For me Shenmue 0 should be with Ryo as the main character and not with Iwao. I want a game with Iwao’s past but doesn't have to be Shenmue 0, it can be two games, one game can be Shenmue 0 and the other can be Shenmue : The Iwao’s Story, something like that, but for Shenmue 0 i really like OPs ideas about this game.

Maybe we will never have this game done by SEGA and YSNET, but it can be a fan game, it is not impossible for us Shenmue Fans to do a amazing Shenmue 0. I play piano and keyboard and i can be the composer for the OST of the game, and we can use some tracks of the first Shenmue too.

blixt, you had a lot of amazing ideas and i agree with a lot of what you wrote, right now i only had a few ideas, if i have more ideas i will put here.

I have plans of learning how to use Blender and Unity, in the future i can help with more things. We Shenmue fans can form a good team and make this game a reality, it is not impossible.😊

Last edited:
Can’t say that I have too much enthusiasm for the concept of living a year in the life of Ryo pre Iwao’s death.

During this period Ryo is still going to school
on a daily basis and the only remotely interesting plot line worth pursuing is the karate competition - which is hardly the most interesting premise. There’s no real conflict nor anything particularly relevant for Ryo to be investigating and whilst they could shoehorn these things in with Ryo defending weaker students from Akio and his cronies or something along those lines, I don’t really see it adding much to the series.

Somebody mentioned Ren’s childhood and I think this could be pretty interesting as the lack of information regarding Ren’s upbringing would allow them a lot of creative freedom, but again - there are much more pressing matters that need addressing in the overall narrative before resources are spent fleshing out a character that doesn’t really need to be fully fleshed out for the narrative to continue forwards.

Even a Shenhua game would be more interesting to me than a Ryo focused game. He really is quite a dull character and prior to his father’s death was pretty ordinary to boot.

I can’t see them going down any of these routes because I don’t think any of them would appeal to a wider audience than a new Shenmue game (if anything, the appeal would probably be more limited). Perhaps we’ll see an Iwao centric prequel some day or his story will be included as DLC (as those events are somewhat pivotal to the overarching plot), but Shenmue 4 (and 5) should really take priority.

If there was ever going to be a Shenmue prequel I'd want it to have a purposeful story. I think if anything it would be a great excuse to expand this mystery surrounding Summing Zhao. I think one feature Shenmue III didn't deliver on well was details of this mystery and of Iwao's time in Bailu - How I want to just tie Master Feng down and interrogate him over every detail :p Also it would be a good way to integrate Akane, Ryo's mother more and see that relationship blossom (Mind you I have no idea if that relationship was present in Bailu or elsewhere, we know barely any details on her, which is odd in itself). So my proposition for a prequel would be to play as Iwao and experience his friendship with Summing Zhao and the situation that leads to his fated death in Mengcun.

Of course the very notion of a prequel is a great indulgence! I just want to see Shenmue 4 & 5 make it :p With all the talk of a possible Manga/Anime I wouldn't mind seeing this explored in such mediums either.

Last edited:
Awesome thread!

Someone already has you beat ;)

Woooooow, i think i never saw this here, i don't remember right now. 😲 I will download the fan-made games. Thanks for showing this for us. 😊

Well... already exists but is a fan-game right? we can do a different version too with our ideas, in my opinion blixt had amazing ideas. I imagine two games, Shenmue 0 and Shenmue : The Iwao’s Story. I think i will make a thread about my ideas for the game Shenmue:The Iwao’s Story.😊

Last edited:
Can’t say that I have too much enthusiasm for the concept of living a year in the life of Ryo pre Iwao’s death.

During this period Ryo is still going to school
on a daily basis and the only remotely interesting plot line worth pursuing is the karate competition - which is hardly the most interesting premise. There’s no real conflict nor anything particularly relevant for Ryo to be investigating and whilst they could shoehorn these things in with Ryo defending weaker students from Akio and his cronies or something along those lines, I don’t really see it adding much to the series.

Somebody mentioned Ren’s childhood and I think this could be pretty interesting as the lack of information regarding Ren’s upbringing would allow them a lot of creative freedom, but again - there are much more pressing matters that need addressing in the overall narrative before resources are spent fleshing out a character that doesn’t really need to be fully fleshed out for the narrative to continue forwards.

Even a Shenhua game would be more interesting to me than a Ryo focused game. He really is quite a dull character and prior to his father’s death was pretty ordinary to boot.

I can’t see them going down any of these routes because I don’t think any of them would appeal to a wider audience than a new Shenmue game (if anything, the appeal would probably be more limited). Perhaps we’ll see an Iwao centric prequel some day or his story will be included as DLC (as those events are somewhat pivotal to the overarching plot), but Shenmue 4 (and 5) should really take priority.

Thanks for taking your time! And yes, I know and expected some of you to think differently of the prequel. And I absolutely agree that Shemue 4 and 5 should be a priority.

My viewpoint is that a Ryo story before Iwao's death can be made and it can be interesting. It's a matter of having the creatvity to make it interesting. But it won't be for everyone ofcourse.

I think wiping out some gang-members from the harbour area and the school in combination with a tournament is something awesome. It could be woven togather like the first Karate Kid film.
My own ´vision´ of Shenmue 0 is a more social game that's more focused on character development than the existing Shenmue games.

Hey blixt, thanks for creating this thread, i read everything you wrote, your ideas for Shenmue 0 are amazing, i pictured everything in my head and it was awesome. Ryo going to school, talking and trainning with his father, we can have flashbacks about Ryo’s mother. Going to Nozomi’s house, the idea about the movie theatre is really good, the tournament, everything about Shenmue 0 is awesome, i really love this idea.

My ideas right now:
Date and the Weather/Season system: The game can start on november 1985 and end in november 1986 where the first Shenmue begin, my idea is to have a full year in the game. The seasons in Japan are well defined, we can have a Shenmue game with all the seasons, and in my opinion this can be so beautiful, every season have its colors, wheather and beauty. We can even have a beautiful scene everytime a season ends and other starts.

We can choose if Ryo will wear the jacket and the jeans, or just the white shirt and the jeans. In winter if Ryo goes out only with the white shirt and jeans he can say... "It is really cold today, maybe i should put my jacket" and in summer if Ryo goes out with the jacket he can say... "It is really hot today, maybe i should take my jacket off." I love details like this in games, and the Shenmue games have nice details like this.

The Jacket Story: In Shenmue III Ryo said to Shenhua that the first thing that he bought with his first salary was his Jacket, someone correct me if i’m wrong but i remember like this. In Shenmue 0 we can start with Ryo without the jacket, and one of the first things in the game can be Ryo having a job and buying the Jacket, it can be a nice and special moment seeing him putting the jacket for the first time, and then he decides to quit the job to go to school, maybe because of his father.

Flashbacks: Flashbacks with a really young Ryo, and this flashbacks can be playable. We can see Ryo’s mother and more about Iwao, we can see a lot of interesting things in the flashbacks.

Characters:We can add more to the stories of a lot of characters, characters like Tom like the OP said. Mark can appear again and we can see his brother, we can see more about Ryo’s friends and much more.

For me Shenmue 0 should be with Ryo as the main character and not with Iwao. I want a game with Iwao’s past but doesn't have to be Shenmue 0, it can be two games, one game can be Shenmue 0 and the other can be Shenmue : The Iwao’s Story, something like that, but for Shenmue 0 i really like OPs ideas about this game.

Maybe we will never have this game done by SEGA and YSNET, but it can be a fan game, it is not impossible for us Shenmue Fans to do a amazing Shenmue 0. I play piano and keyboard and i can be the composer for the OST of the game, and we can use some tracks of the first Shenmue too.

blixt, you had a lot of amazing ideas and i agree with a lot of what you wrote, right now i only had a few ideas, if i have more ideas i will put here.

I have plans of learning how to use Blender and Unity, in the future i can help with more things. We Shenmue fans can form a good team and make this game a reality, it is not impossible.😊
Thank you so much I really appriciate it!
We seem to have very similar ideas. I like you Ideas. I forgot the weather. I actually thougjt about that myself and I totally agree that seeing all the seasons would be ideal. The autumn leaves and everything, just wow.

Ryo buying his jacket was an awesome Idea, love that idea!

When you mentioned Ryo without his jacket I came up with the Idea that this game could use the music track that was played in the Sega Saturn trailer for Shenmue. That would be sweet. But remade with better sound quality. Not necessarly the main musical theme but at least used somewhere in the game.

It would be really cool to make a fan game. Problem is I have no experience in programming what so ever, haha.

Thanks for your ideas. No need to hurry just take your time and post more ideas when you want to.

The other ideas about Iwao having his own story/game is also interesting. But I personally prefer Ryo's story.
First I didn't even think about Iwao's story. But now when it was mentioned it's absolutely possible to make both 0 and Iwao's story in two different games. The only thing needed is people that are interested and massive budget.

Woooooow, i think i never saw this here, i don't remeber right now. 😲 I will download the fan-made games. Thanks for showing this for us. 😊

Well... already exists but is a fan-game right? we can do a different version too with our ideas, in my opinion blixt had amazing ideas. I imagine two games, Shenmue 0 and Shenmue : The Iwao’s Story. I think i will make a thread about my ideas for the game Shenmue:The Iwao’s Story.😊
Yeah, and this thread wasn't only about one idea. It could be about a official Shenmue 0, a fan game, a different verison of a fan game, Iwao's own story, and so forth. I like the idea of paralell versions of the same idea. I like the different perspectives.

Thank you so much I really appriciate it!
We seem to have very similar ideas. I like you Ideas. I forgot the weather. I actually thougjt about that myself and I totally agree that seeing all the seasons would be ideal. The autumn leaves and everything, just wow.

Ryo buying his jacket was an awesome Idea, love that idea!

When you mentioned Ryo without his jacket I came up with the Idea that this game could use the music track that was played in the Sega Saturn trailer for Shenmue. That would be sweet. But remade with better sound quality. Not necessarly the main musical theme but at least used somewhere in the game.

It would be really cool to make a fan game. Problem is I have no experience in programming what so ever, haha.

Thanks for your ideas. No need to hurry just take your time and post more ideas when you want to.

The other ideas about Iwao having his own story/game is also interesting. But I personally prefer Ryo's story.
First I didn't even think about Iwao's story. But now when it was mentioned it's absolutely possible to make both 0 and Iwao's story in two different games. The only thing needed is people that are interested and massive budget.
We have the same passion for the idea of Shenmue 0 with Ryo as the main character, nice to see that.😊 I know is not a game for everyone, i like this type of games, for me it is really interesting.

In your first post you said that in Shenmue 0 we can see a different Ryo, this Ryo is a little happier, i love this idea so much, Do in a way that will give the character more depth, it can be really interesting. In Shenmue 1 Ryo is more distant and serious because of what happened, he prefer to stay alone.

in Shenmue 0 i think would be really interesting to see how things were before his father death. Ryo hanging out with his friends, talking about his feelings, Ryo being close to Nozomi, Ryo being close with his father, Fuku-san and Ine-san, things like that.

Your idea of school is really good and it will give more sense to my idea of the full year time in the game, but should have a option to skip school if we dont want to go, but if the player chooses to go to School he can do a lot of things there, we can explore the school, talk to Nozomi and other friends, we can have mini games there. I really do not know what kind of mini games but i had this idea right now, we can make school interesting. 😆

The ideal Shenmue 0 in my head is with graphics and gameplay like Shenmue I and II or maybe better, but if this never happens, If i never found other people to do this game with me i will try at least to do this game in RPG maker, or something like that where i could do by myself, but it is really nice talking about this here, the idea of Shenmue 0 is awesome in my opinion. 😊

We have the same passion for the idea of Shenmue 0 with Ryo as the main character, nice to see that.😊 I know is not a game for everyone, i like this type of games, for me it is really interesting.

In your first post you said that in Shenmue 0 we can see a different Ryo, this Ryo is a little happier, i love this idea so much, Do in a way that will give the character more depth, it can be really interesting. In Shenmue 1 Ryo is more distant and serious because of what happened, he prefer to stay alone.

in Shenmue 0 i think would be really interesting to see how things were before his father death. Ryo hanging out with his friends, talking about his feelings, Ryo being close to Nozomi, Ryo being close with his father, Fuku-san and Ine-san, things like that.

Your idea of school is really good and it will give more sense to my idea of the full year time in the game, but should have a option to skip school if we dont want to go, but if the player chooses to go to School he can do a lot of things there, we can explore the school, talk to Nozomi and other friends, we can have mini games there. I really do not know what kind of mini games but i had this idea right now, we can make school interesting. 😆

The ideal Shenmue 0 in my head is with graphics and gameplay like Shenmue I and II or maybe better, but if this never happens, If i never found other people to do this game with me i will try at least to do this game in RPG maker, or something like that where i could do by myself, but it is really nice talking about this here, the idea of Shenmue 0 is awesome in my opinion. 😊
Yes a full year in the game would be ideal in IMO as well.

I didn't actually think about Dreamcast graphics. Of course for a wider audience more modern graphic is more appealing.
But I honestly wouldn't mind having slightly improved dreamcast graphics, haha.
I remember trying RPG maker when I was a teenager but don't remember much from it. The newer versions must be superior to the older version.

I also had the idea of keeping and further develop how Ryo hand picks all the things that he buys.
Some people probably think this is nuts and unnecessary but I love to pick things up, zoom in on them and rotate items with Ryo's hand. I would love to see Ryo both drink the soda and eat many different types of food in an animation.

Maybe there could be a level-system where certain foods with more protein levels up certain moves more effectively.
I also thought that if Ryo eat certain carbs right after he has been practicing, the more effective he can recover and there by also level up and getting stronger. Like having the food system more connected with the training and every day life. Like a chain.
But instead of having the stress factor like it had in Shenmue III for some people. You never run out of energy, except maybe after a hard training session. But that eating is entirely or partialy optional.

I also like to have social ´level-up-system´ that opens up abilities as well ass situations based on how well he interacts with Nozomi and his friends. ..And also how well he performs in school. Things like that..

Back