Shenmue 3 Demo Impressions & Interview - Nintendo World Report TV

Just saw this linked on the Shenmue subreddit.

Nintendo World Report only make videos on Nintendo Stuff (of course) but he is a massive Shenmue fan (& Backer), and got to play & interview Yu Suzuki.
  • Very positive overall.
  • Will have a full preview coming this weekend.
  • Asked about Sega arcade games and was told by Yu that they will not be there, but Shenmue 3 will have a lot of other mini games.
  • Mentions that music was in the demo he played, and that when you are doing well at the Wood Chopping the Afterburner 2 music would play (shows roughly how it was by making his own version).
  • He goes on to think that it is strange, as they were able to get the music for Afterburner from Sega, but not the game. Says that there will be more.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting video.
Mostly he says that he enjoyed, that there won't be any SEGA arcade games, but YS told him "you'll see" Implying that there are more mini games.
Another thing to note is that the afterburner 2 theme song started playing while chopping wood and doing well, and that YS said they had the license of sega for that, so there may be some more SEGA cameos.

Pretty interesting video.
Mostly he says that he enjoyed, that there won't be any SEGA arcade games, but YS told him "you'll see" Implying that there are more mini games.
Another thing to note is that the afterburner 2 theme song started playing while chopping wood and doing well, and that YS said they had the license of sega for that, so there may be some more SEGA cameos.
Maybe we will not have the Sega gatchas, but we have now Afterburner II Music, the Pai Chan poster and the Sega logo in the vending machine. Looks like is going to be a little bit of Sega love like Platinum did in Bayonetta 1

Seems like SEGA is being pretty cool with licensing. I can understand SEGA not wanting the game to include arcade games as they're trying to sell them separately, but letting Yu use some After Burner music and perhaps more? Very cool of them.

Very nice, thanks!

Used to hope for Shenmue 2 on Gamecube rather than XBOX haha. Despite the different architecture, Nintendo's similar roots to Sega gave them both an arcade-y look and feel because of Gamecube's specific specs for colors and textures. Should've converted from SH4 to PPC rather than x86. Although, in retrospect, might've payed dividends for D3T to use 2x as a great tutorial/reference while doing the HD reissue emulation.

So wait; you start doing well at cutting wood and then AB City 202 or Final Takeoff just starts up out of nowhere?

lol that's... weird, but awesome!

Seems like SEGA is being pretty cool with licensing. I can understand SEGA not wanting the game to include arcade games as they're trying to sell them separately, but letting Yu use some After Burner music and perhaps more? Very cool of them.

Yeah, I was going to say that I assume that's their logic too.

• Asked about Sega arcade games and was told by Yu that they will not be there, but Shenmue 3 will have a lot of other mini games.

Man, this one really sucks for me. I already kinda knew that Shenmue 3 wouldn't have classic Sega arcade games, but to hear it conclusively is like a gut punch. Heading down to the arcade to play some of Yu Suzuki's old classics has always been one of my absolute favourite things about Shenmue.

I see people saying it's cool they let Yu use any of their licenses at all, but I disagree. To me it sounds like Ysnet/Deep Silver had to pay for the few things they are allowed to license anyway, and the arcade games are fucking made by Yu Suzuki - they should be his to do whatever he wants with for the rest of his lfie.

Yu Suzuki made Sega what it is, and they're the ones that fucked it all down the toilet. They weren't there for Shenmue 3 at all. They put out the cheapest, most half-arsed Shenmue I & II HD they could possibly get away with, that is still absolutely riddled with bugs to this day.

I absolutely despise modern Sega.

Remember how we all speculated how Shenmue III could take the YS arcade game lineup further, by giving us something like Super Hang-On or Power Drift? Too bad it's not gonna happen, at least not yet.

Having some of the games' music here and there is cool but using it for the high level minigames seems really out of place.

Its difficult because Sega are wanting to sell their classics via Sega Ages so including them in a game doesn't make sense.

Also if it came to licences for full games and they were expensive I'd rather the money went into development, which it looks to have done.

Holy shit, the music absolutely transforms the wood chopping mini-game. Now I just want to get in the groove. Chop 'n' bop.

It was confirmed that only classic Sega arcade games wouldn't be in the game, but I'm sure Yu said there would still be arcade games. He just didn't say what they would be.... or if they would be original games he has created just for Shenmue 3. I actually find that more exciting.

I actually like the fact Yu is using more mechanic arcade games in 3. Its something I don't think has really been done (at least not well) in other games.

I think QTE Excite 3 is the only known video game so far. But personally I wonder if we'll see a Space Harrier-esque game featuring the firefighter characters from the capsule toy machine that we saw a while back. The firefighter character was in the same pose as Space Harrier on the arcade flyer/Japanese cover art.

Man, this one really sucks for me. I already kinda knew that Shenmue 3 wouldn't have classic Sega arcade games, but to hear it conclusively is like a gut punch. Heading down to the arcade to play some of Yu Suzuki's old classics has always been one of my absolute favourite things about Shenmue.

I see people saying it's cool they let Yu use any of their licenses at all, but I disagree. To me it sounds like Ysnet/Deep Silver had to pay for the few things they are allowed to license anyway, and the arcade games are fucking made by Yu Suzuki - they should be his to do whatever he wants with for the rest of his lfie.

Yu Suzuki made Sega what it is, and they're the ones that fucked it all down the toilet. They weren't there for Shenmue 3 at all. They put out the cheapest, most half-arsed Shenmue I & II HD they could possibly get away with, that is still absolutely riddled with bugs to this day.

I absolutely despise modern Sega.

While I respect your views about this and certainly understand the frustration that YS isn't allowed to even use the games he created, the situation regarding anything created on company time is tricky. Most corporations have clauses that anything developed during company time and sometimes even during the course of employment are the intellectual property of the corporation. The best way to describe that is similar to no compete clauses and so technically any coding, assets, music, would legally be owned by SEGA. The name Shenmue is technically a trademark belonging to them. This is the corporate world.

I am assuming some agreement was made to use the Shenmue name for the game including certain assets, music, names. I wonder if character design or likeness was copyright hence the slight changes to character models? I am thinking something along the lines of Lord Of The Rings similar to how the book, video games, movies and tv series have slight differences.

I mean, it's no different from any other profession really, but I get why it's tricky and frustrating in creative industries. I used to teach and any resources or lesson plans I produced technically belonged to the organisation and I couldn't just take everything I created to a new organisation if I left.

While I respect your views about this and certainly understand the frustration that YS isn't allowed to even use the games he created, the situation regarding anything created on company time is tricky. Most corporations have clauses that anything developed during company time and sometimes even during the course of employment are the intellectual property of the corporation. The best way to describe that is similar to no compete clauses and so technically any coding, assets, music, would legally be owned by SEGA. The name Shenmue is technically a trademark belonging to them. This is the corporate world.

I am assuming some agreement was made to use the Shenmue name for the game including certain assets, music, names. I wonder if character design or likeness was copyright hence the slight changes to character models? I am thinking something along the lines of Lord Of The Rings similar to how the book, video games, movies and tv series have slight differences.

Yeah, I understand it's Sega's IP now. I'm just saying it fucking sucks because Yu Suzuki poured his heart & soul into Sega, he made all of these amazing classics that got Sega off the ground in the first place. They completely abandoned Shenmue 3, let Yu Suzuki go and then cynically cashed in on the Shenmue hype that Yu Suzuki once again created w/ Shenmue 3, by releasing the cheapest, laziest "remaster" I've ever seen in my life.

For me, this shittiness doesn't get a pass because "it's the corporate world" and "that's just business." Sega has been a completely soulless entity producing dog shit nonstop since the death of Okawa.

I don't even buy the argument that it doesn't make financial sense for Sega because they want to sell Yu's classic games through Sega Ages. I mean, who in their right mind is going to spend $50 on Shenmue 3, load the game up and walk Ryo down to the arcade each and every time they want to play Space Harrier instead of just paying $5 or whatever it is on Sega Ages?

It's just Sega being mindlessly greedy because they can and it's the norm.

Back