Shenmue 3 FAQ's Up. Shenmue 3 will come to Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting video. It appears Steam was never actually in the original terms during the KS and explains from a legal standpoint why those requesting a refund under KS terms would not be entitled to one.

It may not be in the terms yet it was heavily publicized that the game would be on Steam for years.
They even included and made it clear the game would come to steam on the last survey.
It was very clear the game would come to steam.

It may not be in the terms yet it was heavily publicized that the game would be on Steam for years.
They even included and made it clear the game would come to steam on the last survey.

It even had a Steam page.

To me, does anything after the Kickstarter ends even matter from a legal perspective? If the Kickstarter ends, and your money is taken for your pledge (including a PC version not specified to be via Steam), does anything they say afterwards even matter as long as they fulfill a PC version?

I’m not talking morally, as they clearly pulled a 180 in their messaging. However, I don’t think refunds should be given, but rather Steam keys and a promise of DLC or something. People are going to take advantage and refund because they don’t like the state of the game.

Look, I don't disagree with you at all that this should have been released for Steam and it was hinted at including the fangamer survey which indicated a release and I also felt this was the case, but reviewing through the history of this, there is no evidence of Steam being mentioned in the beginning. I checked through the project update emails I received and the earliest mention I see of system requirements was from Project Update #84 which mentions Steam but this was on 06/28/2018. There may have been earlier references but I do not see any from the kickstarter doing the time it was running.

The video points out the legal aspect, not necessarily the moral aspect, what the legal rep is stating is that of their opinion, they do not believe there would be a strong case based on Kickstarters terms and conditions at the time the kickstarter ran, and that any changes made at that point that rewards were "additional" and all that was required by those running the kickstarter was to provide the finished product.

I mean, im still in the camp that If you can't deliver what people were promised, I.e steam, you should give them a refund just out of decency, not to mention false advertising. If they don't, shenmue's name will be ruined like mighty number 9 and no man's sky.

Its easy for us to look past it, but trust me the majority of ppl are pis*sed off out there and rightfully so to be honest.

Let's wait and see what's Ysnet does, but they really should sort this out ASAP. It's like their marketing team constantly tops themselves for screw ups each time.

I understand why they took epic up on the deal but they have to find a win win situation for backers and the developers. Hopefully we'll know more next week

I mean, im still in the camp that If you can't deliver what people were promised, I.e steam, you should give them a refund just out of decency, not to mention false advertising. If they don't, shenmue's name will be ruined like mighty number 9 and no man's sky.
No Man's Sky has actually rebounded in a huge way. The fans of the franchise actually bought an ad on a billboard right outside the developers office to thank them. Not relevant, but just thought I'd mention it.

I really hope we get Steam keys.

Not only for convenience. If I play it on Steam I can take screenshots with comments and share them with friends, which is what a lot of people do, and this helps promote games as well.

Look, I don't disagree with you at all that this should have been released for Steam and it was hinted at including the fangamer survey which indicated a release and I also felt this was the case, but reviewing through the history of this, there is no evidence of Steam being mentioned in the beginning. I checked through the project update emails I received and the earliest mention I see of system requirements was from Project Update #84 which mentions Steam but this was on 06/28/2018. There may have been earlier references but I do not see any from the kickstarter doing the time it was running.

The video points out the legal aspect, not necessarily the moral aspect, what the legal rep is stating is that of their opinion, they do not believe there would be a strong case based on Kickstarters terms and conditions at the time the kickstarter ran, and that any changes made at that point that rewards were "additional" and all that was required by those running the kickstarter was to provide the finished product.
Shenmue was coming to Steam and it was Very clear. They even had a release date on the Steam page, and changed the release
https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/
Why do people defend Deep silver and make excuse for them? When they even were managing the steam page and even message us in the Steam Shenmue III forum.

Last edited:
They're allowed to change their minds. Don't believe me, try taking them to court.

The point though isn't to go to court. It's to be reasonable and admit things such as people ordered Steam keys, named as Steam Download/Steam Physical Disc on Fangamer.

Last edited:
Change their mind just a week ago? The questions why do you try so hard to defend them.
The point is that they did advertized something and then changed their minds just a few days ago.
On June 10 it clearly said Planned Release Date: 19th November 2019 on steam page.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190610181307/https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

it doesnt matter because thats the advertisment for the retail version, released by the publisher.
the KS campaign is a completely different thing and there was no promise for Steam on the KS or Slacker Backer page.

KS backers give their money so that the project can be created in the best way including all the risks and possible problems,
retail buyers are just buying the final product.
nobody was able to pre order the game on Steam. nobody.

on KS it didnt say anywhere that it will be available exclusive on Steam.
and the listed requirements on a KS page are not final or valid.
you spent your money on the KS campaign without any promise for a Steam version.
if you just wanted to buy the game, then you simply shouldnt have supported the game on KS
and should have waited for the retail version.

both are completely different things. just because you assumed something different doesnt mean that you are right.

Seems like at the time of the kickstarter, Steam wasn't advertised there. The two options were Ps4 copy and PC copy.
Steam onlye appeared in the backer surveys I believe. Long after the backers gave their money to the cause.

Seems like at the time of the kickstarter, Steam wasn't advertised there. The two options were Ps4 copy and PC copy.
Steam onlye appeared in the backer surveys I believe. Long after the backers gave their money to the cause.
I generally agree. The only issue, as far as I'm concerned, are the additional copies that could be pre-paid for on the survey. If you were to add a Steam copy on your survey and lumped up the extra cash with that being the case, then you have the right to be a bit narked, in my opinion.

It would have been best if they remained vague on the survey as to which platform it would be provided on.

and you forget Steam page they made since last year and even set a date multiple times which they ended up changing 10 days ago.

My issue is with Deep Silver, you guys defending them when they damaged Shenmue Reputation which caused a huge negative view in which ended in the mind of around 100,000+ people. People that will bad mouth Shenmue even more and some of them were actually backers and fans.

It's true indeed. It only appeared where it mattered the most: What Backers chose. If you were binded by your Kickstarter choice, then you wouldn't be able to switch platforms. That's the "survey" which is an order that matters the most. Your reward from the Kickstarter is the prepaid amound to be used on Fangamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back