Shenmue 3 media/review coverage.

This video is from What Culture Gaming giving their impressions of Shenmue 3. One of the guys is a Shenmue fan.

Impressions are fair but I think I disagree with one thing. He's complaining about the story elements and in fairness he's only 4 hours in, yet he essentially is saying that he thinks that Yu Suzuki should've used the old assets and engine of Shenmue 1 and 2 and spend the budget by trying to complete the story. That would have been a minimal improvement in my opinion and would've probably led to a very unsatisfying conclusion to the epic since Yu would've had to rush to the end.

Again in fairness the guy did say as much as he loves Shenmue he thought it should've stayed dead as it never had hope to finish out given its general audience reception.

I couldn't even bare to finish watching that. It's bad It's a utter POS of a review, but I can tell you right now, 5h is nowhere near enogh time to warrant such conclussions or frankly any initial impressions that should be dratically different from someone reviewing the "trial".

Based on his vitual statements, I would bet anyone that the biggest reason he got into Shenmue(that's if he's a fan of shenmue at all to beginwith, and not one of those pretenders)is the graphics, and even after playing them, that somehow still remained the main reason to play them, to him.

Well folks, I guess now we know why he never posted a review of the trial, like he was suppose to.

I imagine he is basically dropping it too, otherwise why only play 5h before making a review video.

I've been discussing stuff with people in the spoiler section(although avoiding story spoilers), and while Shenmue 3 does indeed have issues, they feel like issues you might expect from a rushed game(but, not in a broken way, nor in a overall graphics way either), and there's other aspects that seem very well designed, so yea that so called revies is complete BS.

While some of the intricacies are as complex as we would like(although I doubt he played long enough to even realize the lack of such anyway), the consensus is, It's still very much a Shenmue game.

PS. Wait a second, I think Ryo being allowed to change his clothes also triggered him lol, because aslide from that, and the food, I don't see how anyone can claim It's trying to be a modern spin on shenmue, instead of a shenmue game.

Impressions are fair but I think I disagree with one thing. He's complaining about the story elements and in fairness he's only 4 hours in, yet he essentially is saying that he thinks that Yu Suzuki should've used the old assets and engine of Shenmue 1 and 2 and spend the budget by trying to complete the story. That would have been a minimal improvement in my opinion and would've probably led to a very unsatisfying conclusion to the epic since Yu would've had to rush to the end.

Again in fairness the guy did say as much as he loves Shenmue he thought it should've stayed dead as it never had hope to finish out given its general audience reception.

I couldn't bare to finish watching that review, I stopped at the halfway point, it was that bad.

Wait so that's his gripe(couldn't tell really what the hell he didn't like in the first half, he seemed to more or less just trash the game, using the most broadest terms possible), don't tell me he's one of "those" idiots that believe/wanted to believe 3 would finish the story at all costs(nevermind the fact, why are his really commented on the story at all, when just 4-5h in).

Why should we take any of these criticisms to heart? As long as S3 sales are successful enough to warrant S4 a flexible budget (I'm not for a second Kickstarter), who cares what game critics think? They're some of the laziest journalists ever, other than a select few, who could be replaced by bots, like most of sports journalism.

Confused about who it wants to please?

What the hell is he babbling on about? The game is a straight up love letter to the fans in my eyes.

I get his point to some degree, I guess. Shenmue III is stuck in that weird in-between position where if you try to modernise it too much to appeal to a modern audience then it would lose its appeal to the hardcore fanbase. Whereas if you appeal to the hardcore fanbase then you risk losing the modern audience. I do get that point and it is a point I've echoed before. Many years have passed and Shenmue was in that weird space of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But to my eyes, Shenmue III doesn't seem confused about what it is at all. It's doing things on its own terms and marching to its own drum beat like it always has. It's a downright love letter to the fans with a few modern quality of life improvements (some for the better)

At the risk of being completely alienating to a modern audience.

I don't think the game is confused about what it is at all. I think it flat out knows what it is and who it was made for. So I don't get his point at all.

Last edited:
Confused about who it wants to please?

What the hell is he babbling on about? The game is a straight up love letter to the fans in my eyes.

Yea I agree, the guy is off his rocker.

This is one of the reasons I don't think he's a real Shenmue fan. If he's not a pretender, then he's one of the few who only got into it for the graphics, and somehow when he finished them, the graphics still remain his primary reason to play such.

Why should we take any of these criticisms to heart? As long as S3 sales are successful enough to warrant S4 a flexible budget (I'm not for a second Kickstarter), who cares what game critics think? They're some of the laziest journalists ever, other than a select few, who could be replaced by bots, like most of sports journalism.
i think u forget the fact that we will live in a time now that people will not buy a game is reviewed bad instead of them reviewing it themselves

Depends on how many people even read those reviews. Could just purchase something largely based on curiosity (of the hype).

After playing an hour and a half, I'm confident that that guy is full of crap. It feels like a modern game and look beautiful.
I feel like the people who say the game is ugly or dated looking have completely different kinds of eyeballs or something. That said, at least he ultimately seems to like it and 6/10 isn't the worst score in the world, so w/e.

After playing an hour and a half, I'm confident that that guy is full of crap. It feels like a modern game and look beautiful.
And Ryo walks like a human being finally. And the fighting is smooth, hurts my fingers on some moves, but tons of fun still. The new QTE I just could not do. Thankfully that one didn't affect the story. Some stuff is plain stunning, while some faces were drawn by people drawing cartoons. It's amazing, some are very nice. I know they outsourced some to India, think those weird ones are from them?

Back