Shenmue 3 media/review coverage.

Overall from the twitch streams I've been watching the impressions have been very positive. I saw 1 stream that was kinda negative on it(AngryJoeShow), but he was one of those "Epic deal bad" people(And I'm usually a big fan of Joe), so I really feel like it's an outlier(A small group were gonna always be pissed over the Epic Deal let's be honest). Let's just hope all of the positivity translates into some sales.

Last edited:
Overall from the twitch streams I've been watching the impressions have been very positive. I saw 1 stream that was kinda negative on it(AngryJoeShow), but he was one of those "Epic deal bad" people(And I'm usually a big fan of Joe), so I really feel like it's an outlier(A small group were gonna always be pissed over the Epic Deal let's be honest). Let's just hope all of the positivity translates into some sales.
I saw aris paying it, he basically kept repeating the games are terrible but I guess he was kind of enjoying streaming it. Pretty sure he only plays cause of the gambling.

I saw aris paying it, he basically kept repeating the games are terrible but I guess he was kind of enjoying streaming it. Pretty sure he only plays cause of the gambling.

That's his kind of humor mostly tongue-in-cheek. He played all of 1, and 2 right up until you land in Guilin he likes the games(And the gambling). He put Star Wars on the backburner for Shenmue 3 and Souls type of gameplay is usually his favorite.

That's his kind of humor mostly tongue-in-cheek. He played all of 1, and 2 right up until you land in Guilin he likes the games(And the gambling). He put Star Wars on the backburner for Shenmue 3 and Souls type of gameplay is usually his favorite.

I dont know if he actually enjoys them or if he just enjoys streaming them, kind of like how he hates death stranding....i think, but streams it out of spite of his audience.

I dont know if he actually enjoys them or if he just enjoys streaming them, kind of like how he hates death stranding....i think, but streams it out of spite of his audience.

Lol yeah I get what you mean he's done that in the past. He's not spite streaming it tho. He seems to be having a good time, he's sold his audience on it and they seem entertained enough by some of the other factors(Gambling, wood chopping, and the other mini games).

this was pretty enjoyable watching a guy trying this best to explain this game to people that just think its totally odd.

I heard from people here that Giantbomb didn't really care for Shenmue. It sounds like they enjoyed it quite a bit.

German Gamestar First Look (not a final review)

Very fair and positive. The reviewer, who will also write the final test, says:

"It's exactly, what the fans wanted."
"Playing Shenmue III feels like coming home."

Last edited:
I heard from people here that Giantbomb didn't really care for Shenmue. It sounds like they enjoyed it quite a bit.
I think they were conflating with that Gertsman likes to make fun of it, just cause some of them to hate it doesnt meant they werent gonna give it a fair shot or pass it off to someone less biased. Doesnt guarantee a good review or a review at all obviously but people have been kind of jumping the gun a bit with some of these people like how a few days ago there were a few insults at gameinformer before their review even went up.

I think they were conflating with that Gertsman likes to make fun of it, just cause some of them to hate it doesnt meant they werent gonna give it a fair shot or pass it off to someone less biased. Doesnt guarantee a good review or a review at all obviously but people have been kind of jumping the gun a bit with some of these people like how a few days ago there were a few insults at gameinformer before their review even went up.

I wasn't insulting Game Informer. I was saying that the general tone of attitude presented in that video is one that is laughing at it. The same way the Giant Bomb Quick Look was laughing at it. That's the general tone I've been expecting from reviews everywhere and I have not been let down.

I wasn't saying expect a bad review from Game Informer. I don't know what score they'll give it. But I was saying their video went about the way I expected it to go. I.e The obligatory Yakuza comparison that most of them have made, the general laughing at the "weird outdated nature" of it, laughing at the English dub and so on.

There's a general attitude of "we're above it" about this game and even some of the reviews that are genuinely enjoying it are still looking at it through a very specific lens.

I wasn't insulting them. I even said I don't know if they'll give it a bad review but they were indeed laughing at it so don't expect some overglowing positive review from it either. It will probably be the same boring type of average review I've seen from most outlets that won't give it a thought outside of "one for the fans but everyone else might want to steer clear."

So far most of the reviews have gone exactly how I expected. Ranging around 5 to 7 average. I never expected anything higher than that and so far the media hasn't let me down.

The only review I've insulted is the Polygon review...because fuck that review and fuck that cruddy site. They literally said "it's barely a game." Dumbasses! Complete and utter dumbasses.

Last edited:
I wasn't insulting Game Informer. I was saying that the general tone of attitude presented in that video is one that is laughing at it. The same way the Giant Bomb Quick Look was laughing at it. That's the general tone I've been expecting from reviews everywhere and I have not been let down.

I wasn't insulting those guys. I was simply saying that the general tone is one of making fun of it like they're above it. And I have seen that tone from a lot of reviews.

I wasn't saying expect a bad review from Game Informer. I don't know what score they'll give it. But I was saying it went about the way I expected it to go. I.e The Obligatory Yakuza Comparison that most of them have made, the general laughing at the "weird outdated nature" of it, laughing at the English dub and so on.

There's a general attitude of "we're above it" about this game and even some of the reviews that are genuinely enjoying it are still looking at it through a very specific lens.

I wasn't insulting them. I even said I don't know if they'll give it a bad review but they were indeed laughing at it so don't expect some overglowing positive review from it either. It will probably be the same boring average review I've seen from most outlets that won't give it a thought outside of "one for the fans but everyone else might want to steer clear."

So far most of the reviews have gone exactly how I expected. Ranging around 5 to 7 average. I never expected anything higher than that and so far the media hasn't let me down.

I don't think Giant Bomb was laughing at it in a bad way. Even the guy that is a fan of the series acknowledges that this is Shenmue thru and thru no compromises. As we all know that's a good thing and sometimes a bad thing. At the end of the day I'm surprised with what we got for 7 million this truly is a full Shenmue experience.

It's specifically Jeff Gerstmann that doesn't care for Shenmue. I'm still not expecting a good score from them, but I'm glad to read that apparently Dan liked it, and that Death Stranding quip is hilarious.

I don't think Giant Bomb was laughing at it in a bad way. Even the guy that is a fan of the series acknowledges that this is Shenmue thru and thru no compromises. As we all know that's a good thing and sometimes a bad thing. At the end of the day I'm surprised with what we got for 7 million this truly is a full Shenmue experience.
I haven't watched the clip so I can't speculate on what they were laughing at/how they were laughing/etc, but I can say as someone that loves the game to pieces that I've been finding myself laughing at unintentional humor in the dub a lot so far. 👌

No Alex was laughing at it. You could hear his exasperation through his laughter.

Dan was defending it. Which I expected because he defended the original Shenmue during their Endurance Run.

Abbey was curious but admitted she'd probably never play it.

They weren't really harsh on it or anything, but you could still tell they were baffled by it. Dan at least kind of gets that this is what Shenmue fans wanted so he's down with them getting more of what they wanted.

Again, I'm not hating them for this...I'm simply saying it went exactly how I expected it to go based on their reactions during the Shenmue Endurance Run they did.

I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with them laughing at it. But the general tone of "why does this exist in 2019?" is there among some people. You can see and hear it even in some of the positive reviews.

But like I said, coverage for the game is going almost exactly how I expected. Some like it. Others are mind boggled by its existence in 2019. (shrugs) it's going pretty much how I expected it to go. I never expected anything more than an average of 5 to 7 and it's pretty much leaning that way for most outlets.

Last edited:
Yikes, is that just a click bait title or do they actually believe that?

They really lost me when they repeatedly said the game "disrespected" their time. Are we really at a point where a video game can be outright disrespectful for merely being a little bit grindy?

Back