Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ending sucks, hope they make a new game. It sounds like you enjoyed it enough to consider it a 9/10 up until the ending. No one’s perfect, not even our man Yu Suzuki. You know he had to struggle with a budget throughout this project.

If the ending sucks, hope they make a new game. It sounds like you enjoyed it enough to consider it a 9/10. No one’s perfect, not even our man Yu Suzuki.
No it's the ending that makes the entire game suck. Yu Suzuki has completely lost his touch.

Either way, I believe we should focus on what Adam was saying. Especially being a person there in the thick of it.

I believe the game will sell enough to warrant a sequel to continue the series. Ball park, it is really not unreasonable to expect 100-150k sales worldwide, maybe even 200k with sales going on right now, plus it'll come to Xbox and Steam, of course.

It'll probably be a similar budget to Shenmue III, except the Kickstarter funds were used to get the studio, engine and project off the ground.

As such, I expect it to be considerably more refined and evolutionary for the series(in it's own context). Even moreso if Sega lends more assets(i.e. AM2 collaboration and throws added back in)

I do not believe that Yu will be able to get his wish of 5 games, though, and will wrap it up with IV.

Maybe with expansion-esque DLC so it's not rushed to the end like Game of Thrones was. That is my hope.

It will be interesting to see if shenmue is top 3 on epic come tuesday. I think someone said thats when their top sellers chart updates

If im right, the majority of the sales will come digitally as thats where deep silver and epic have been mainly marketing.

Its still a wait and see unfortunately.

I wouldn't expect much from Epic store sales.
If you looked at the top 20 since a month, you'd see sales there doesn't paint a good picture. Lot of games that have been there were released months ago. Shenmue 3 didnt appear until its release (despite being on preorder for even longer). It'd already be a miracle if Shenmue 3 sold over 20k on Epic's store.

It’s been 48 hours since Amazon sold a copy of Shenmue 3. I really wonder how many copies they stocked!

Shenmue 3 spans two towns and the castle. So it probably covers about three chapters. That means they have probably undercut the story deliberately, for money reasons.

I think they should have cut a few things from the game, and kept others. Namely the story, making the story very robust is what was missing here. I think they should have cut the in-game clock, and made the passing of time dependant on advancing though the story.

Take the clock out, and let the players explore the world for as long as they want, until they get to the next part of the story. Let us wander around the world at night. And go back to Shenhua's house, or the hotel, when we wanted to. This would have made the game better in my opinion. AND it would have saved them A LOT of money.

If you looked at the top 20 since a month, you'd see sales there doesn't paint a good picture. Lot of games that have been there were released months ago. Shenmue 3 didnt appear until its release (despite being on preorder for even longer). It'd already be a miracle if Shenmue 3 sold over 20k on Epic's store.
On the contrary, I see those lingering titles in the Epic store chart as a good sign for Shenmue 3. That's one of the advantageous Epic has over Steam right now for developers, less crap flooding the storefront every week. This allows older games to find and maintain an audience, room to breath if you will. The same can be true of Shenmue 3 as well, less competition on Epic means more attention over the long term and steady sales.

id agree with you if it they left it to organic traffic to find/buy Shenmue 3 on the Epic store. However, Epic's video ad of Shenmue 3 has over 7 million views in 7 days. If only 1% converted into buyers, that would be 70k copies sold, 2%, 140k copies sold, etc. Average conversion rates for ads are usually 1 - 2%. Although i have no idea what it would be for video games in the holiday season.

7 million views on an ad would cost crap ton of money. I know from my own experience in marketing that if a video ad is not making you money back from selling the product, you would kill the ad or stop it immediately. This shenmue 3 ad continues to go up at a insane pace. A good example of what i mean can be seen on Deep silver's youtube page. Looks like they made all their Shenmue 3 videos into ads but stopped some of them half way through, which then stagnated the views, while they let others continue, presumably because they were making money back from sales on those continued ads.

The funny thing is, i've never seen Epic push any of their exclusives like this. Makes me wonder what was in the agreed deal. You'd have to assume marketing was a massive part of it and it would probably explain why they were advertising Shenmue 3 at E3. Personally i think Epic are using Shenmue 3 as an experiment. If they can market the game and make it successful, im sure they'll start to offer similar deals to new potential developers/studios, and that along with the money and secured sold copies would be an offer no one could ever turn down.

150k would be a disaster for the future of the series, let’s hope you are wrong.

Although I 100% agree that a 70 meta score isn’t helping move anything.

Well we all need to get over there and move that score up.

I’m all reading this thread about the ending half squinting xD WHY have I not gone dark lol

If it charts in the top 20 of the NPD then I think we can assume Shenmue IV will be green lit. I assume Deep Silver is all eyes right now seeing how it fares as to whether they want to get involved with IV again.

I hope this isn't another Control moment. (Control did abysmally that it didn't even rank in the NPD...which is a shame because Control ain't that bad of a game but the marketing was abysmal for it.)

My biggest fear is the amount of "Wait, this is actually out?" comments I was seeing in Maximillian Dood's streams and some other streams. Did the game just pass people by?

It might spike a little when reviews hit...or it might spike during the Black Friday sales once most reviews have assumedly hit by that point. Also, no one releases digital numbers so no idea how it will fare digitally.

Only one person on my PSN list is playing it besides me. One other said he got it but wont play it until he replays the first two games.

Others have been playing Death Stranding or Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel III (weebs)

Only one person on my PSN list is playing it besides me. One other said he got it but wont play it until he replays the first two games.

Others have been playing Death Stranding or Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel III (weebs)
I basically got a single guy to pity buy the game telling him that its probably gonna flop financially. Outside of that no one I know thats ive tried to get into the series through the merit of the game's quality have actually gotten into it, the ones I got to get the Hd collection all stop somewhere along the line in 1 before dropping it. This is a very hard game to shill to people.

Last edited:
id agree with you if it they left it to organic traffic to find/buy Shenmue 3 on the Epic store. However, Epic's video ad of Shenmue 3 has over 7 million views in 7 days. If only 1% converted into buyers, that would be 70k copies sold, 2%, 140k copies sold, etc. Average conversion rates for ads are usually 1 - 2%. Although i have no idea what it would be for video games in the holiday season.

7 million views on an ad would cost crap ton of money. I know from my own experience in marketing that if a video ad is not making you money back from selling the product, you would kill the ad or stop it immediately. This shenmue 3 ad continues to go up at a insane pace. A good example of what i mean can be seen on Deep silver's youtube page. Looks like they made all their Shenmue 3 videos into ads but stopped some of them half way through, which then stagnated the views, while they let others continue, presumably because they were making money back from sales on those continued ads.

The funny thing is, i've never seen Epic push any of their exclusives like this. Makes me wonder what was in the agreed deal. You'd have to assume marketing was a massive part of it and it would probably explain why they were advertising Shenmue 3 at E3. Personally i think Epic are using Shenmue 3 as an experiment. If they can market the game and make it successful, im sure they'll start to offer similar deals to new potential developers/studios, and that along with the money and secured sold copies would be an offer no one could ever turn down.

Then if you were right, the game would be at the number 1 spot. And would've been in the top 20 since before launch.
Thing is, it isn't.

On the contrary, I see those lingering titles in the Epic store chart as a good sign for Shenmue 3. That's one of the advantageous Epic has over Steam right now for developers, less crap flooding the storefront every week. This allows older games to find and maintain an audience, room to breath if you will. The same can be true of Shenmue 3 as well, less competition on Epic means more attention over the long term and steady sales.

How is that a good sign if being in the top 20 only require to sell barely 100-200 copies ?

If you are watching a vid of a game of EGS it's because you probably have a PC. And if you probably have a PC you will buy it on Epic. And if you buy it on Epic you will not appear in the TWO charts we know so far (UK and JP physical ps4)

How is that a good sign if being in the top 20 only require to sell barely 100-200 copies ?
Because it's 3, not 20.

That means between all the shit in EGS, there are only 2 that sold better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back