Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends on how big Deep Silvers expectations even were...they didn't really spend a lot of money marketing it. We don't know how much money they actually invested in it. We've heard the Epic deal apparently benefited them. I can't imagine they invested a lot into it...they weren't going full haul into Shenmue...they would have played it somewhat smart.

I still don't think this game cost anything more than 10 million at best. And 6 of that was raised by 60,000 people. So it really just depends on what the expectations were for it going into it. I hope we can get to IV...I think he'll be pushing his luck to get to V. But I do at least hope we can get to IV.

But yeah, I can't imagine they spent any more than 10 million in total on this game.

Considering the little money they spent on advertising and the fact that most of its funds were already secured...surely even 200k at minimum world wide would still net a decent chunk of cash to warrant IV, right?

I think he'll be pushing his luck to get any further...but I could see him at least getting to IV on a similar small budget.

Last edited:
I love how suddenly a bunch of us are experts on determining how much the limited information we have is going to affect IV, in one way or the other. It’s not great seeing people already resigned to saying IV will need a miracle to happen. We don’t really know anything as of yet and the defeatist attitude is frankly surprising, given what this community is known for.

I love how suddenly a bunch of us are experts on determining how much the limited information we have is going to affect IV, in one way or the other. It’s not great seeing people already resigned to saying IV will need a miracle to happen. We don’t really know anything as of yet and the defeatist attitude is frankly surprising, given what this community is known for.
Agreed, I don't know why so many Shenmue fans have decided to metaphorically shoot themselves in the foot over this. Shenmue has never been the easiest game to sell. If it was we would've gotten Shenmue 3 13 years ago on the OG Xbox. Nonetheless, Shenmue 3 exists and that is nothing short of a huge achievement from all of us. I have every confidence that Shenmue 4 can be made as well, even with middling sales. Everything is already in place to make Shenmue 4 happen, we just need that little spark to give the game a chance.

Id

Facts. IMO Shenmue 4 is almost a guarantee. The 6-7 million raised in Kickstarter dollars can be used as a baseline for budgeting the remaining games in the series.

IMO what we have to worry about is Shenmue 4 not going to Kickstarter and that game selling poorly.

SIDENOTE

I would like to see Yu Suzuki and company sell slots to the Shenmue community to be apart of the game again. This can generate alot of revenue for the series seeing as the Shenmue community is full of fanatics. I personally like seeing my portrait in the "Save Shenmue Museum."

So true, and I love this attitude!!

If I had to be fair though, the 50/50 reviews and the way information spreads in today's age is definitely affecting the morale. Couple that with some issues from Shenmue 3 itself that even the most hardcore fans disliked is not doing it any favors. The press, Kickstarter tactics has made an impact. Whether we want to admit that or not. I believe that is why the attitude has shifted. But we can definitely overcome :)

Again, stay cool!

Neither is our "negativity" putting off potential customers, nor do we have nearly enough information to determine whether S4 is coming or not.

You really think thousands of people first go into this Shenmue 3 sales thread to make up their minds?
No, they will read the reviews by the sites and people they trust. Some will be encouraged, some will be deterred. It's fine! Chill, people!

By the way, I love the game. I love the stamina system (because eating twice a day is realistic when you run a lot and practice Kung Fu) and it's all I had hoped for (playing with Japanese dubbing).

Again, stay cool!

Neither is our "negativity" putting off potential customers, nor do we have nearly enough information to determine whether S4 is coming or not.

You really think thousands of people first go into this Shenmue 3 sales thread to make up their minds?
No, they will read the reviews by the sites and people they trust. Some will be encouraged, some will be deterred. It's fine! Chill, people!

By the way, I love the game. I love the stamina system (because eating twice a day is realistic when you run a lot and practice Kung Fu) and it's all I had hoped for (playing with Japanese dubbing).
No but they will see things on social media and that's where the message is key.

It will be interesting to see if shenmue is top 3 on epic come tuesday. I think someone said thats when their top sellers chart updates

If im right, the majority of the sales will come digitally as thats where deep silver and epic have been mainly marketing.

Its still a wait and see unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'd argue that we need to override that negative wave. I promise you that the more good news we get out there the more positive people will come out of the woodwork
Wait till you finished shenmue 3 and see if you still have any positivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back