Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the constant headaches and dramas that plauged III? They're gonna have a much harder time finding funding down that route, I'm afraid. People were willing to do it for III. Outside of the hardcore fanbase, even if they did go that route, they wouldn't earn anywhere near as much the second time out.
Even leaving aside any controversy surrounding Shenmue 3 the bottom has fallen out of gaming crowdfunding, people just aren't giving anywhere near the amounts that they used to. Part of that is high profile failures like Mighty No. 9 and that whole Yogcast fiasco. The other I think that the 'fad' phase of crowdfunding is over, people were willing to fund anything and be seen funding it. Crowdfunding just isn't cool anymore. If Shenmue 4 is going to get made Yu Suzuki will need to find a different approach then another Kickstarter.

Considering the constant headaches and dramas that plauged III? They're gonna have a much harder time finding funding down that route, I'm afraid. People were willing to do it for III. Outside of the hardcore fanbase, even if they did go that route, they wouldn't earn anywhere near as much the second time out.

The benefit this time however is the assets, engine, models, etc are already there to be reused. It could use a model like Yakuza but since Shenmue uses new cities, that might be where most the time is devoted to. I would imagine the existing engine should make things easier going forward if they stick to that route.

Personally, I would love it if there was another kickstarter, even if just to get that little extra budget. Hopefully with lots of new ways to be part of the game. Affordable traveling NPC please (but still well done) or some random 'I was here' comments that don't break the immersion, be able to provide the object, texture for something, a painting on a wall and so on

The benefit this time however is the assets, engine, models, etc are already there to be reused. It could use a model like Yakuza but since Shenmue uses new cities, that might be where most the time is devoted to. I would imagine the existing engine should make things easier going forward if they stick to that route.

To be fair, with exception of Yakuza 4, every Yakuza game has introduced a new city on the side. Yes, Kamurocho is the mainstay, but Y2 introduced Osaka. Y3 took us to Hiroshima on the side. And Y5 took us to three completely different cities. Y6 took us to Onomichi.

But I get what you're saying....I'm hoping there is enough of an audience to keep what they've built going. The ground work is done. They could very easily re-use a lot of the systems and assets that are in place now for a theoretical Shenmue IV and have it be cost effective. I very much see your point.

I noticed the corners cut in S3 (all the shopkeeps have the same animation routine....if anyone noticed...they all scratch their heads) so I'm hoping they can keep going on a similar budget if the sales are there to warrant it.

I don’t think people will respond well to another Kickstarter. A lot of people seem dissatisfied and disappointed with shenmue 3, most feedback seems positive until people have finished the game.

I don’t have any hope for a shenmue 4 now if it happens it’ll be a pleasant surprise.

I would love for another Kickstarter just for the solo reason to get my name in the credits again and the guestbook, plus I'm in better job then I was when the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was going on so could aim for higher tiers like photo in the game. A lot of people seem unhappy that Shenmue 3 was getting funding from else where after the Kickstarter, like Deep Silver but the whole point of a Kickstarter is to kick start a project, once Shenmue 3 was hitting the news it was only obvious that investors was going to start taking notice and want a piece of the pie. It might be the same with Shenmue 4, Deep Silver might say we'll give you this much money but Yu had to provide X amount of money before they invest and if he hasn't got what they're asking for, is another Kickstarter a wrong idea?

Guys we don't know the sell numbers yet, SO we could use this time to discuss: what amount of sells it would be good? What amount acceptable? What bad? What awful?

Because now we are crying about we don't know the numbers, but when they give it to us we'll be fighting and discussing if this are good or bad numbers, so we should discuss it right now before get information of the sells.

It's hard to tell, but I think if Shenmue III can make the top 5, then that's an encouraging sign.

I think Deep Silver are quietly confident it will sell fine. I 100% agree making a Shenmue IV will be much easier.

Fingers crossed guys.

But realistically speaking, in my personal opinion I don't think the games sells will eclipse 100k for this initial release weeks total.

What do you guys think Suzuki is reasonably looking for? I'd imagine that number can't be too high, he should know this series has a very dedicated but limited following. The goal better not even be in the ballpark of a million copies.

Amazon Spain #50 best seller The Collection Edition (the standard simply doesnt appear).

Xbox one practically doesn't exists in Spain, and still Gears 5 for Xbox One it's #15, so this aren't good numbers at all.

Amazon Spain #50 best seller The Collection Edition (the standard simply doesnt appear).

Xbox one practically doesn't exists in Spain, and still Gears 5 for Xbox One it's #15, so this aren't good numbers at all.
Ouch :(

The sales barrier to be successful is relative to it's budget. We just don't know where that barrier is but I can tell you it doesn't need to sell a million

I don't know, the numbers may not be as straight forward as they appear. If it's true that the Xbox One doesn't have much a presence in Spain then it says to me that Xbox game sales will disproportionately gravitate towards Amazon because Spanish gamers can't find them elsewhere. To that end, it also makes sense that Shenmue 3's collector edition and not the retail version would do better on Amazon, like the Xbox games it's a harder to find item people might only be able to locate online.

The sales barrier to be successful is relative to it's budget. We just don't know where that barrier is but I can tell you it doesn't need to sell a million
This is what I'm so interested in, what exactly seems the sales a 'success' in Yu Suzuki eyes 🤔

This is what I'm so interested in, what exactly seems the sales a 'success' in Yu Suzuki eyes 🤔
Surely they had realistic expectations when near 69,000 backers weren’t being factored into the actual sales. There may be more to the Epic Games deal than a simple keep the lights on cheque.

This is our chance to get 4. Alot of us has been trying to find a way to fund 3 before Kickstarter came along. Many of us wanted this chance to show how much we all wanted shenmue. I got Kickstarter copies but still bought 3. Two I'm giving as gifts for Christmas. If you want S4 now's the time to get it and strike while the iron is hot. Just like the Kickstarter we must all do our bit, if we want S4 to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back