Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when looking at PSN trophies, can you see how many players there are from that and does it add up to other games? For examples, is Red Dead in the millions etc.

If you look at Gamstat, it shows 23,100,000 players.

So that’s the pace that Red Dead Redemption 2 sales are at, about 1 million every three months. Selling 25 million copies is an impressive feat, but it seems unlikely that RDR2 will match the incredible milestone set by Rockstar’s previous smash hit, Grand Theft Auto V. That game has been out since 2013 and has sold over 110 million copies, and it keeps charting month after month thanks to the popularity of its online multiplayer component, GTA Online.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also has an online mode, but it has not yet taken off the way GTA Online has. Red Dead Redemption Online could still grow, and Take-Two claims that the multiplayer offering is attracting more players.

“Both engagement and recurrent consumer spending on the game continue to gain momentum, and Rockstar plans to continue to enhance and evolve the world of Red Dead Online with ongoing updates to drive growth over time,” Take-Two noted in a press release sent to GamesBeat.

Red Dead Redemption Online could still become a bigger deal that helps boosts Red Dead Redemption 2 sales to the crazy heights enjoyed by Grand Theft Auto V. But selling 1 million copies every three months less than a year after launch shows that Red Dead Redemption’s legs may be steady, but they aren’t strong and long.

Though I have trouble understanding how they sold 25 million copies between the Xbox and the PS4 and somehow have 23 million users on the PS4. I'd think the split would at least be closer to 50/50 between PS4 and Xbox. I think this algorithm is likely a lot sloppier than the user who stands by it feels it is.

*the figures in the quote are from August 2019, so I doubt they numbers have changed that significantly.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't buy those PSN stats at all. There were 2,500 PixNLove and 5,000 LRG, and the regular LE is completely sold out across the UK (I have an email from Game CS to confirm this)

Hi X,
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we are completely out of stock of the collectors edition; however it's possible there may still be stock available in store, I advise visiting your nearest store to inquire, however I'm afraid I cannot make any guarantees.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Game Customer Services

So lets say there's another 5000 LE for the entire of Europe (i'd wager it's much higher, seeing as demand was so high you could import the UK collectors edition officially through Amazon USA) but for arguments sake etc

That's 12,500 LE copies alone. Add that to the known 23,000 physical sales in Japan and Spain and that's almost 33,000. Add in the 50-60K backer copies, and we're close to 80,000 unique players before we even have data from the UK , US, Epic AND Psn.

I'd imagine the trophy list bug (not 'popping' on PSN until you've earned one) may possible further skew numbers further.

It's all still a guessing game at the moment. We won't know until the financial year closes (end of March 2020) and Deep Silver/THQN put out their press releases, for certain.

Last edited:
Totally. And I get the point not everyone played the game the second the clock turned midnight on the 19th, but I just think 33,000 is a big misrepresentation of total sales. I am convinced they've moved at least 150,000 copies based on the Japan numbers, LEs, Amazon/Best Buy, plus the 70,000+ backer copies.

I'm in the 100,000-150,000 camp myself, from everything that I can deduce.

But like I said to some shitty trolls on FB, we won't know anything definitively until the horse's mouth provides.

I know this is just reading tea leaves, but I keep seeing various Koch, Deep Silver and THQ-owned accounts sharing news about Shenmue & Yu Suzuki. Perhaps this kind of support was guaranteed no matter the outcome, but I find it encouraging:

Just my take. Certainly worth engaging with this type of social media.

I know this is just reading tea leaves, but I keep seeing various Koch, Deep Silver and THQ-owned accounts sharing news about Shenmue & Yu Suzuki. Perhaps this kind of support was guaranteed no matter the outcome, but I find it encouraging:

Just my take. Certainly worth engaging with this type of social media.
Absolutely, if all of us at least show some support around these posts it sends a good message. Hopefully this sort of interaction leads to more.

On the Deep Silver facebook page there are a lot of angry reactions... Let's spread some positivity there :)

Absolutely, if all of us at least show some support around these posts it sends a good message. Hopefully this sort of interaction leads to more.

The greater Shenmue community whom lack confidence should realize the long game Deep Silver always play. Hence why they're one of the longest running AA studios I can remember. Begun during volatile 7th generation when there only seemed to be AAA or early indie (when it was essentially high-end homebrew) on XBLA/WiiWare; surviving through the 8th gen. Still over a year later I'm seeing them give little pushes to their 2018 games. Confident they'll be patient with Shenmue 3, as well.

If you look at Gamstat, it shows 23,100,000 players.

Though I have trouble understanding how they sold 25 million copies between the Xbox and the PS4 and somehow have 23 million users on the PS4. I'd think the split would at least be closer to 50/50 between PS4 and Xbox. I think this algorithm is likely a lot sloppier than the user who stands by it feels it is.

*the figures in the quote are from August 2019, so I doubt they numbers have changed that significantly.

Second hand sales. David Cage spoke about with Heavy Rain how twice as many people had played Heavy Rain then copies sold and he knew this because of the trophies. This was because multiple people played the same copy of the game either through lending it to people or selling it on.

For instance if we had this kind of tracking back in the Dreamcast days it would have shown After a year that 3 people had played Shenmue in my house but only one copy would have been sold.

We won’t see that kind of effect on Shenmue 3 for awhile though since it just came out while Red Dead 2 has been in the Pre owned section of GameStop for over a year now.

I'm of the continued belief Deep Silver is interested in having an established and acclaimed franchise like Shenmue in their portfolio, which is also another feather in Shenmue's cap...

Yeah, I would describe Shenmue's sales potential as "moderately high floor, low ceiling". I think they should be able to have a better sense of what budget is needed to improve Shenmue 4-5 and still make a profit. I'm sure some folks jumped off board after Shenmue 3 but I would hope a solid Shenmue 4 would bring them back.

Well the moment of truth is almost here, NPD for November is out tomorrow. It's very unlikely Shenmue will chart but I'd love to be wrong.
Whilst it would be great if Shenmue does chart, it was only on sale for 1/3rd of November, so I wouldn’t see it as the end of the world if it doesn’t. I think it might make it into the top 20 though, which would be a solid result in my eyes.

8th in the Swiss charts (all formats) in opening week (5th best selling PS4 game) - http://swisscharts.com/games_system.asp?system=Total&week=201947&year=2019

9th best selling PS4 game in Italy in opening week -https://www.ilvideogioco.com/2019/12/09/classifiche-italiane-week-48-fifa-20-al-comando/

13th most popular game at jeuxvideo (yes, the guys who scored it 10/20) over the last 2 months (all formats) -http://www.jeuxvideo.com/jeux/populaires/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back