Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is unepic

Yea not surprised. Still a bummer though. Hopefully we can get some hard sales data soon though.

Would Deep Silver release sales data or would asking Cedric he better?
Cedric said on twitter that they aren't releasing S3 sales figures atm because they don't have all the information yet. To me, that sounds like they're waiting for the holidays to end before evaluating the sales... but I'm basing that on absolutely nothing other than "this is how I'd do it".

Untitled.png

To be fair it was out for 12 days and up against some absolutely massive games. Do you see what’s on the list? Death Stranding didn’t even hit the top 5! I wish we could see beyond the top 20. We were warning you about how it was ranked on Amazon for a while, though.

Last edited:
I wouldnt count on Deep Silver regarding official numbers,
most of the time when they talk about sales numbers openly in public its very basic information
like "we werent dissappointed".
They waited over two years to announce the sales numbers for Dead Island 1.
I think they never talked about the Kingdom Come Deliverance numbers,
it was the developer studio Warhorse that announced the early sales numbers
and the sales numbers one year after the release. They never released official numbers for Metro Exodus.
Same for other games like the Risen series or some other games.

BUT (!)
it doesnt mean that no comment or basic information automatically means bad or the end,
because they did sequels and prequels of games that werent big hits. They just kept going without mentioning the numbers.
So this is just their way of communication.
I just wouldnt count on a DS tweet tomorrow that says "it sold XXXXXX copies."

Hate to say it but this isn't good news. I still believe Shenmue 4 will happen but it will be made on a 6-7 million dollar budget.

While I dont think Kickstarter would be a good idea I'm very much open to Yu Suzuki and company selling game slots to the Shenmue community to be apart of the game(being a capsule toy, pictures in game, guestbook, etc).

When Shenmue 4 is made without Kickstarter it will have alot better sales numbers. 70,000 people had already purchased the game. Only a small number of the Shenmue community is gonna buy another retail copy. Hopefully the collectors editions put it over the top.

So it joins the ranks of Control then

Now I'm worried...
Well i mean control apparently made money according to remedy, but its also signifigantly more accessible with no prior games needed to play before it and in general being a more popular type of game.

I just dont see 3 having the same longer term traction unless it gets a release on switch or maybe xbone but i think the latter wont have much appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back