Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please name me one character including ren that you still remember anything from.

Oh dear! You've got me. I can't seem to remember anyone else other than Ren in a 30-hour long video game. I guess you must be right!

Just kidding:
Sun is a drunk, "dirty old man" that lives in an abandoned temple who likes his drink

Grandmaster Bei is a famous martial arts master, who now spends his days as a humble fisherman

Eldeh Yeh is one of the oldest people in Bailu who informs Ryo about the palace treasure

Niao Sun uses deception and trickery to get what she wants, steals the Phoenix Mirror and tries to overthrow Lan Di

Lin Shiling is a shrine maiden who is quick to make judgements or believe the worst about people

Hsu is a student of Grandmaster Bei who is portrayed for comedic relief, but is also a powerful martial artist

The Red Snakes leader is a powerful boss who practices a strange martial art derived from a range of animal movements

Yuan is Shenhua's father and a stonemason whose ancestors were ordered by the Emperor to forge a set of stone mirrors.
I could go on. But whatever, you couldn't recall these characters so I guess that means every fan must not either.

And your list is a joke.

Erm, no it isn't. It's a list of plot happenings, actually.

People said Shenmue 3 didn't really advance the plot, and I listed some events in the game to dispute that. Simply saying "X is a joke" does not suddenly mean those events never happened.

I beat both bosses in my first run but was cheated out with a qte. That's so lame and cheap. That never happened in any previous shenmue.
Did you even play Shenmue 2?!

Shenmue is really unique and fits in it's own genre, if there could be a comparison, perhaps a spin on the old point and click adventure games with more immersion and options and that is ok to me because I enjoy those games, none of the people I know like those type of games.

There was one game that at the time was a bit similar though it wasn't martial art themed and you could traverse in a car. In fact, it had more similarity to Deadly Premonition in a way (due to its Twin Peaks-like mystery theme also set in rural America) than it did Shenmue but there's still some similarities both have such as NPC's with routines, real time clock and the whole searching for clues/investigating both games have which is common for adventure titles. Also it was one of the first open world games to have driving (though Batman & Robin for PS1 did that too in July 1998).

It was called Mizzurna Falls by Human Entertainment and came out only to Japan in Dec 1998 for the PS1. It was one of the first open world adventure games ever made, and focuses on the search for a lost classmate in a small rural American town.

Its also been fan translated as of this year:

though I heard there's still some kinks needed to be worked out..

There was also Shaolin (Lord of Fist) which was martial art themed but obviously smaller in scale, and later on for XBox/PC: Dreamfall, an adventure/sc-fi game that had some hand to hand combat in it....

I don't take into consideration comments from people who could shit on Deadwood or Twin Peaks just because "the plot does not move on", slow narrative is not bad narrative, but ei, you can play some shitty soldier melodrama in CoD just because "the plot does not move on"...

I don't take into consideration comments from people who could shit on Deadwood or Twin Peaks just because "the plot does not move on", slow narrative is not bad narrative, but ei, you can play some shitty soldier melodrama in CoD just because "the plot does not move on"...
But what has me as confused as a ballerina on hallucinogens is when people say “Shenmue 3 didn’t advance the plot” when it actually did, just not as much as they would have liked.
Imagine you wake up, browse the Internet and read "Official: Yu Suzuki announces there will NOT be Shenmue IV".

I try to prepare my brain to the worst but surely I can't.
Oh well. People are dying on Shenmue 3’s hill because it had some padded fetch quests in a series known for forcing the player to repeatedly forklift for 5 days, air out books, wait a day to buy a useless boat ticket, and fetch wood for a campfire. We probably deserve it.

Imagine you wake up, browse the Internet and read "Official: Yu Suzuki announces there will NOT be Shenmue IV".

I try to prepare my brain to the worst but surely I can't.
Sometimes it feels like that would be better than the future of the series being unknown. A definitive answer of "no" would alleviate all the hoping, wondering, waiting....

That's how I felt 15 years ago about Shenmue III. And here I stand, having completed my first playthrough of Shenmue III four days ago.

So never forget that when it comes to the future of the Shenmue franchise,

patience2.png

Besides...
Considering the message Yu Suzuki wrote at the end of the credits, it's clear that he will never make such an announcement.

But what has me as confused as a ballerina on hallucinogens is when people say “Shenmue 3 didn’t advance the plot” when it actually did, just not as much as they would have liked.

Oh well. People are dying on Shenmue 3’s hill because it had some padded fetch quests in a series known for forcing the player to repeatedly forklift for 5 days, air out books, wait a day to buy a useless boat ticket, and fetch wood for a campfire. We probably deserve it.

I laughed. :) I agree, it did advance the plot...it just didn't give people what they wanted from it. III's far from perfect, but to say it didn't advance the plot is wrong too.

I'm gonna say it...I actually enjoyed the side quests in III...even if they were just fetch quests...although I kind of wish there had been more like Mr Su's tall tales in Bailu, unless there is something like that in Chobu? Haven't seen all of the side quests in Chobu yet.

For whatever reason, I just enjoyed hanging out in this world...even if the story wasn't the best it could have been.

What made you go from saying you love the game to acting like this all of a sudden, though? I am always interested in split personalities.

Honestly, I did at first but that was the nostalgia talking. After now playing through the whole thing and reflecting, I realized how unfun it really was.

Oh god, im hating this negative energy in the community lately... ugh i dont know.

Considering this series really has kinda preached the notion of patience is a virtue (hell, it's a major part of II in the early game),
it is kind of funny to see people sperg out that all the answers weren't revealed in III.

To be honest, I kind of was expecting backlash with III...no matter what he gave, it was never realistically gonna meet 18 years of expectation. Even if he had given answers...I can still guarantee that there would have been people annoyed that it wasn't what they wanted it to be or something along those lines. Or even if he had given closure then people would of complained how rushed it was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Shenmue III is perfect, but I really do believe that it wouldn't have mattered what he gave...it was never gonna truly meet the expectations people had for it and there was always destined to be a backlash (of sorts)...I've been slyly preparing myself for it since they first showed off footage for SIII.

I'm still on board...Even though I think III got lost at times;

I still think III has enough seeds within to make a potentially epic Shenmue IV so I'm still on board. There were enough seeds laid with Shenhua to pay off in IV (we got a taste of who she was and why she maybe matters to all this but the answers are still waiting.)

I'll stay with this franchise until either it or I passes on. I'm still reserving judgment until I've seen the full story play out. We're far from done with it. I just hope we get to IV to keep it going. III wasn't a deal breaker for me. If anything, it just has me curious to see what lies ahead.

Last edited:
Gamstat is now showing that 33,000 have played Shenmue 3 up until the 1st December. Not looking good.

They also show the Epic Game Store as having 17,000 people who have played it.

Gamstat is now showing that 33,000 have played Shenmue 3 up until the 1st December. Not looking good.

I was comparing it with other games released during the same time and it is very shocking that it has only 33,000 =/

Do we have for comparison data from similar audience titles? Also, it makes no sense in my mind the 33k since already 81k copies were distributed via KS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back