Shenmue 3 Streetdate Broken

I only posted the cover of the unopened CE box on the ShenmueDE accounts and I promised not to show more until Tuesday. What others do at other places in the internet I don't care, but I promised to Koch Media to be fair to everyone.

At the weekend on my stream I will finish Shenmue II first... Shenmue III not before Tuesday!

I was really surprised today. Didn't expect it in the mail before Monday.

Don’t worry, I won’t post any spoilers. I may post some general impressions if people are interested later tonight once I get chance to delve into things.

Just waiting patiently for 3.475GB patch to install so I can finally continue Ryo’s adventure.
Can we ask you some curiosities?

I mean as long as you properly tag them all spoilers should be fair game. Like if you wanna make a thread for FULL spoilers, theres no reason you shouldnt be able to.

Of course, I would be happy to answer questions you may have.

If it’s serious spoilers I can take it to PM depending on what mods deem necessary.

Thanks a lot, I am very very anxious.

Let's go:

1. How it "works" ChobuChan fighter arcade?
  2. Is it one opponent by arcade (Wolf arcade, Akira arcade...) ?
  3. Is it Baisha still on Shenmue 3 ?
  4. Besides After Burner and Hang-on, is there more sega soundtracks?
  5. The seven star sword appears again physically ?

Let's go:

I’m only 4 hours into playing and really going slowly so unfortunately I can only answer directly one question at this point.

The new intro Yuan discusses giving the star sword to Shenhua but to date I haven’t actually seen physical item itself.

After diner I will post detailed impressions but in short I’m very happy with Shenmue 3 and I think majority of fans will enjoy what I’ve played and seen to date.

Last edited:
I can never understand how you guys wilfully get spoiled. To each their own but damn you're crazy :sneaky:
At this point I consider the launch trailer to be much more of a spoiler than the 30 minutes of game play I saw.

The only thing that was really ‘spoiled’ for me was the identify of a character that was mined from a photograph and loading screen from the backer demo, but I’d kind of predicted the significance of this a long time ago. Had I not looked through the datamining thread, it would have been pretty insignificant too.

The launch trailer on the other hand, confirms that Ryo will come face to face in the game (again, already predicted, but still) and the events leading up to it (although looking at the way that scene is cut together, I wouldn’t be surprised if the door kicking part and the Lan Di part occur at two separate instances as Ryo’s position seems to change and Ren vanished between shots).

I can't believe I actually did it, I found a store selling last 3 copies of S3 early and decided to buy it for the 5th time.
I truly wish for this game to sell well, anyway have fun playing for those that have it early & to people in the near future!

First post.
Anyone in the UK found a copy yet. Got a pres ordered one but will buy another so I can play today if any are around.

edit- wrong thread

Let's go:

I can answer some of these questions
1. I can't seem to find any specific help in terms of how the game plays but it seems like a very shallow Virtua Fighter 2. The triangle button are quick jabs, square is medium and circle are slow and heavy attacks. X might be block but I do know that if you push X and up, you can jump and do jumping attacks, which are pretty OP.

2. Yes. There's an Akira, Pai, and Lau machine, specific to just those opponents. If you beat all three machines, you get a prize.

3. As far as I know, it's just known as Bailu.

4. I haven't heard any other Sega soundtracks, aside from a lot of reused Shenmue 2 songs, but higher quality.

5. Yes.
There's a puzzle you must complete at the end of the Bailu area. At one point you have to insert the sword into a slot. It's a lot smaller this time around, almost like a big dagger.

Hope this answers your questions.

1. I can't seem to find any specific help in terms of how the game plays but it seems like a very shallow Virtua Fighter 2. The triangle button are quick jabs, square is medium and circle are slow and heavy attacks. X might be block but I do know that if you push X and up, you can jump and do jumping attacks, which are pretty OP.

2. Yes. There's an Akira, Pai, and Lau machine, specific to just those opponents. If you beat all three machines, you get a prize.

4. I haven't heard any other Sega soundtracks, aside from a lot of reused Shenmue 2 songs, but higher quality.

5. Yes.
There's a puzzle you must complete at the end of the Bailu area. At one point you have to insert the sword into a slot. It's a lot smaller this time around, almost like a big dagger.

Wow! Thanks very much!

5. Yes.

Yu originally wanted it to be the 'Dagger of Seven Stars', but the guy who designed and modeled it made it big like a sword and Yu just went with it. Seems like it's reverted to what Yu wanted to begin with!

Last edited:
Yu originally wanted it to be the 'Dagger of Seven Swords', but the guy who designed and modeled it made it big like a sword and Yu just went with it. Seems like it's reverted to what Yu wanted to begin with!
Oh wow that's actually good to know. I was sitting there thinking "Did you guys forget what it looked like or was this just for convenience?" Thanks for that piece of trivia!

Back