Shenmue 4 leak audio review trailer

Not sure if it's a 2023 thing, to just jump to "it's AI". Regardless of what AI can do, I am just waiting on the official translation to confirm if it's actually fake or not. If the translation comes through and the lines which include the location of the 4th game are actually in there, then this is real. At this point as far as a few of us know, that's not public knowledge as of yet.
It's partly a 2023 thing because the advancements in AI in the last three years or so have been so explosive. There's still a lot of funkiness with it in general use, though, and a lot of that funkiness seems present in the leaked audio to me. I've personally seen some deep fake Japanese content within the last several months that's composited things into ridiculously convincing videos. Stuff that's been more convincing to me than this leaked audio.

If it helps, there are two places mentioned in the leaked audio. As @Kenzo38130 said, Suzhou is mentioned a couple times. The other is wherever the hell "チャンカカイ" (Chankakai) is. Someone joined the discord channel the same day and mentioned it's Zhangjiajie, a mountainous region of the Hunan province. However, in Japanese, this location is pronounced as "Chokakai" : https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/張家界市

It's partly a 2023 thing because the advancements in AI in the last three years or so have been so explosive. There's still a lot of funkiness with it in general use, though, and a lot of that funkiness seems present in the leaked audio to me. I've personally seen some deep fake Japanese content within the last several months that's composited things into ridiculously convincing videos. Stuff that's been more convincing to me than this leaked audio.

If it helps, there are two places mentioned in the leaked audio. As @Kenzo38130 said, Suzhou is mentioned a couple times. The other is wherever the hell "チャンカカイ" (Chankakai) is. Someone joined the discord channel the same day and mentioned it's Zhangjiajie, a mountainous region of the Hunan province. However, in Japanese, this location is pronounced as "Chokakai" : https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/張家界市
Thanks for the translation and effort.

Instead of going into it all, I am just going to forget about all of this. My opinion, is this is as real as it gets. But it's incredibly murky and I don't like it. That someone would even record Yu Suzuki on the sly. Fingers crossed for a real announcement in the future. When YSNET are ready.

@Peter,

I've always looked forward to reading your comments on things. I have to ask--why, specifically, does this oddball occurrence speak to you in terms of realism?

It's such a "shot in the dark" kind of thing. Most of us have been around since the olden days, long before 2015 saw us finally vindicated after years of waiting and hoping.

We've seen our fair share of rumors, photo shops, "insider claims", etc.

Why does *this* one seem to have one of the more arguably stoic members a bit convinced?

I'm not in any way saying you're wrong to *be* convinced(I'm more to that side also), I just want to hear your thoughts and you should feel free to express them.

I’m sure @Peter will clarify and I don’t want to be putting words into anyone’s mouth but reading between the lines, certain backers (10k level) were given scripts for Shenmue 1 and 2 and from some conjecture I remember back in the day those scripts contained a lot more elements then were not seen in the game including potential locations. Or maybe this info was divulged elsewhere.

Whatever the case I assume if the leaked audio pinpoints these previously unannounced locations that would lend some veracity to this being real.

That's how I took it too--. Seems kind of unbelievable to me, but hey, if I'm wrong, it just means a Shenmue IV announcement is imminent. So, I'm not opposed to that.

I would like to know where exactly Chankakai is supposed to be. That's the only place I think would be very telling. Suzhou being part of the story has been more or less known since the VFRPG map was shown at the postmortem. Although that was supposed to come before Guilin in the original timeline, anyway.

I know the link has been removed but if anyone has the audio and wants to shoot me a DM, I’d be more than thankful…I’ve kind of got to hear this now and make up my own mind whether I’m team Real or Fake on this one.

cheers guys if anyone obliges me.

Last edited:

That looks like the mountainous region we have seen in the Treasure Scroll from Shenmue 3; if that is correct it fits the description of the region where Ryo; Shenhua and Ren should be heading.

I hope ysnet use A.I as much as possible. It would benefit a small studio like ysnet massively and cut costs when making a game on the scale of Shenmue. You could even get a very cheap English dub done, which let's be honest, the A.I would probably sound just as good if not better than the typical shenmue dub.

If using AI means bringing costs down and it means we get Corey, Lisle, Eric on the English side and Masaya-san for the Japanese side, then i'm OK with that.

I find AI pretty disturbing (especially when used for deepfakes and such), but in this instance, there's little harm in it. I hope.

I find AI pretty disturbing (especially when used for deepfakes and such), but in this instance, there's little harm in it. I hope.
I think there is if they use (or mimic) the voices of actors without paying them. That just sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I think there is if they use (or mimic) the voices of actors without paying them. That just sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well.

I mean use Corey etc as real voice actors for the main characters, but use AI for small NPC's etc.

Well I listened to the audio...(thanks @Sergeynest and @Kenzo38130 )

I....don't know what to make of that. My Japanese is far too rusty to fully hear it all. The interesting thing to me though was that some of it sounded clearer than other parts of it. Masaya's dialog was noticeably clearer while others were slightly more muffled.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of this tbh. Not sure whether I'm team real or deep fake on this one. I want to believe...I always want to believe when it comes to Shenmue...but in this day and age of fakes, this could be a very well put together fake.

IF it's real then I like that it sounds a little more action packed...could we finally see the train sequence in Shenmue IV? (it did sound like a train at one point.)

I want to believe but yeah...will wait and see.

And it's such an odd way to set up the fake. There are so many other low effort ways to trick people. Starting with Yu Suzuki talking like he's in a presentation is a level of detail I think would elude most hoaxers. And we know YS is out and about presenting his new game, so he possibly may be talkin about other things behind closed doors.

I'm not convinced either way, but this one feels different and even the fact it's got me entertaining AI voice acting is promising with regard to budget and the next game. I'd never really thought of that angle.

That looks like the mountainous region we have seen in the Treasure Scroll from Shenmue 3; if that is correct it fits the description of the region where Ryo; Shenhua and Ren should be heading.
It very much does, and it shares a border with a Miao autonomous prefecture that I recall people speculating about at one point or another: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/湘西トゥチャ族ミャオ族自治州

Problem is, it would be another Chinese name mispronounced in Japanese within the audio. I can't find a "Chankakai" through my typical Japanese searches at all. I'm pretty sure, now that I think about it more, that it is supposed to be 張家界/Choukakai/Zhangjiajie, though.

It's a difficult thing to explain, but for Chinese words in Japanese, there can be a couple ways of pronouncing them. There's the pronunciation as if the characters were a Japanese word (Shenmue does this for almost all names and names of places, outside of Hong Kong; ie. Choukakai), and there's the pronunciation that tries to approximate Chinese pronunciation of the characters (ie. 'Shanhai' for Shanghai). 張家界 being read as 'Chankakai' is a mix of the two pronunciation styles, where "Chan-" would be a more approximate Chinese pronunciation for the first character, and "-kakai' would be pronunciations of the last two characters as if it's a Japanese word. That kind of mixing of pronunciation styles just doesn't really happen in practice, and I feel like I could say with 100% certainty that there is absolutely no way a script makes it to Masaya Matsukaze where he's told to pronounce it 'Chankakai' instead of 'Choukakai.'

I'm really torn on this. It could be real but it certainly could be fake. Considering there is a guy on YouTube who made AI play the first Tomb Raider. The AI can look around, can recognize textures an recall those "never seen before and even compare them to already seen ones.

The AI plays through the levels by itself. The guy even programmed Laras AI to react VERBALLY to what she is seeing or doing in the game and in her environmental. While programming the verbal reactions he feeded the AI with character traits of Lara so she would react naturally.

It's so interesting!! I'd recommend you to watch these videos. Then you can rethink if this audio leak is real or not.

The first video is about how he made this. It's amazing.

Back