Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

I am sure Corey will bring out the best of Ryo with his voice acting. People forget that voice acting for games is a different thing than doing voices for Anime. Anime is way more emotional. Besides, the way it is produced and directed brings out different results.
I've always maintained Corey is good at the dramatic parts, especially during the finales of the 2nd and 3rd games. He can do it if the script and direction is there, I mean, do people ever wonder how awkward they sound when asking strangers questions?

The animation looks really solid! Is it me it got that late 90's/early 00's Anime feel?

Hopefully it's success or lack thereof won't negatively impact Shenmue IV chances

Shenmue only works as a game, if they continue the series as anime or manga it might as well not exist for me.

Looks even better than I was hoping for!

I like that they appear to be sticking to the overall story but changing things up like the Chai fight, Ryo's scar etc... Will keep existing fans guessing a bit.

That poster scene is the rooftops of Kowloon surely? So Lan Di jumps down from the helicopter after Ryo defeats Don Niu?! That's got to be the showdown that ends the first season I bet... With Ryo arriving in Guilin and rescuing Shenhua as a post credits set up perhaps?

Regardless I'm all in on this, super exciting!

Last edited:
Okay so I thought this was a fan account, but it seems they have made a new twitter for the anime which links to a new website??

https://shenmue-anime.jp/
Nice find, pulled this hi-res version of the key art from that site without the logos:

topbg_pc.jpg

Found the separate assets for the Logo.png and a bigger, wider version of the key art on the official Japanese site.
JapaneseSiteBG-ArtReveal.jpg
Granted it's like the "main" piece of artwork for the trailer as it reveals the release timing, but the detail on this is pretty nuts. Look at all the buildings beyond the fence, the smashed up concrete and even the small bits of rumble on the floor. The floor itself also looks so good with the reflection of the sunrise shining across it!
What an awesome piece of work. Really hope we end up getting more artwork like this, and hopefully some merch/bluray release which has some really high quality prints or something!ShenmueAnimeLogo.png

I've been putting likes in every single youtube video covering the Shenmue Anime; we've got to make the most out of this, the more people we can reach in every social media platform the greater the chance of people becoming interested in the series, being that the Anime and also the games.

I've yet to post my thoughts here, but I was on the stream last night (My Twitch username is different to mine name here though. I was Anesthetize).

Tonally, this is exactly what I wanted them to do. They literally nailed exactly what I wanted from a Shenmue animation and then some. The mood, the animation, the art style, both the English and Japanese Shenhua's (sounds like Brianna and the Japanese Shenhua from S3 to me!) are all perfect.

Back