Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Got me thinking, remember when they marketed shenmue 3 they had trailers for the more action packed story beats and also for more mundane activities? I wonder if in future trailers they'll show off more of the mundane; people passing by, snow setting in dobuita, talking to friends, etc. That would be nice!

The anime will have 13 episodes so i think it will be this way...

Shenmue Chapter 1: Yokosuka - 6 episodes
Shenmue II Hong Kong/Kowloon - 6 episodes
Guilin - Final Episode

I really think is possible to do the story of the 2 games with 13 episodes, i say this because anime is a different medium. Like Tosh said i don't think we will see Ryo asking all the characters for just one clue for an entire episode, Ryo asking for an entire episode "You know where i can find sailors?" :ROFLMAO: Ryo buying soda at the vending machine in every episode, and all this things about the gameplay i don't think it will happen a lot like this, i think we will see scenes like this but it will be faster.

The anime will probably focus heavy on the narrative, the characters and the important things about the story so is possible, we will even see scenes like the tournament scene to add even more to the Shenmue story, i think is possible. The final episode will probably be in Kowloon or Guilin.

Ah... i need to see this anime so much, now i just need the confirmation that Shenmue IV is in development. 😍

All the replies in this tweet are just people roasting everyone who writes off shenmue as boring even though they've never played it. I love it LMAO

It's changed slightly from game to game already. Different translations. Seemed pretty close to me.
I can’t quite put my finger on why, but it just feels a little off to me. In fact, I’d probably go as far as to say that it didn’t really feel like Shenmue. Obviously it depicts scenes and characters from the first two games, but the art style and tone seem so drastically different that in my mind it feels a little like an imposter.

To be clear, I don’t think that this is a bad thing. In fact, I think that trying so hard to appeal to fans of the first two games contributed a lot to Shenmue 3’s lukewarm reception. The anime is clearly going to have its own personality and that will hopefully help to draw in a different audience while still offering enough to appease existing fans (who I’d imagine will be on board no matter what they do providing they don’t drastically alter the main story beats).

The anime will have 13 episodes so i think it will be this way...

Shenmue Chapter 1: Yokosuka - 6 episodes
Shenmue II Hong Kong/Kowloon - 6 episodes
Guilin - Final Episode

I really think is possible to do the story of the 2 games with 13 episodes, i say this because anime is a different medium. Like Tosh said i don't think we will see Ryo asking all the characters for just one clue for an entire episode, Ryo asking for an entire episode "You know where i can find sailors?" :ROFLMAO: Ryo buying soda at the vending machine in every episode, and all this things about the gameplay i don't think it will happen a lot like this, i think we will see scenes like this but it will be faster.

The anime will probably focus heavy on the narrative, the characters and the important things about the story so is possible, we will even see scenes like the tournament scene to add even more to the Shenmue story, i think is possible. The final episode will probably be in Kowloon or Guilin.

Ah... i need to see this anime so much, now i just need the confirmation that Shenmue IV is in development. 😍
I'd love to see it structured in this way. Then continue like this. Second Anime season:

Episodes 1-2: S3's story
Episodes 3-7: what was meant for S4, probably cliff temple and so on
Episodes 8-12: S5's story including the fall of the Chiyoumen and the grand finale
Episode 13: Epilogue - what became of Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, the Chens and everyone else.

Boom, that would finally give us closure to the story. More games can still come out, but given Yu's age and S3's lukewarm critical reception and sales performance, focus should be on finally getting the story told and getting it told in a worthy way.

Reminded Happy Console Gamer that the Shenmue Anime trailer launched; hopefully he reads my comment and decides to make a reaction video about it.
I'm just kind of surprised not to see Adam Koralik making a video about it and I was also hoping that by now IGN and Gamespot could have already acknowledge it as well.
Happy console gamer.jpg

Reminded Happy Console Gamer that the Shenmue Anime trailer launched; hopefully he reads my comment and decides to make a reaction video about it.
I'm just kind of surprised not to see Adam Koralik making a video about it and I was also hoping that by now IGN and Gamespot could have already acknowledge it as well.
View attachment 13071
IGN definitely did a written article on it

Gamespot not yet but Eurogamer have done one too.

Also NME and a bunch of various Anike focussed outlets have covered it. The news has taken off and is being universally praised thus far.

Of course we need to see the final product but based on this, man we could really see the series take off.

IGN definitely did a written article on it

Gamespot not yet but Eurogamer have done one too.

Also NME and a bunch of various Anike focussed outlets have covered it. The news has taken off and is being universally praised thus far.

Of course we need to see the final product but based on this, man we could really see the series take off.
I know; but I think by now they could have already done a video about it; just because it is easier nowdays to reach to more people in this format instead of in written article. Hope they talk about it in a next Daily Fix video.

I know; but I think by now they could have already done a video about it; just because it is easier nowdays to reach to more people in this format instead of in written article. Hope they talk about it in a next Daily Fix video.
They really ought to. Its caused a real stir in the media overall. They'd be mad not to.

I'd love to see it structured in this way. Then continue like this. Second Anime season:

Episodes 1-2: S3's story
Episodes 3-7: what was meant for S4, probably cliff temple and so on
Episodes 8-12: S5's story including the fall of the Chiyoumen and the grand finale
Episode 13: Epilogue - what became of Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, the Chens and everyone else.

Boom, that would finally give us closure to the story. More games can still come out, but given Yu's age and S3's lukewarm critical reception and sales performance, focus should be on finally getting the story told and getting it told in a worthy way.
I'm going to have to disagree. If it's true that by the end of S3 we are only 40% of the way through the story, to cram the other 60% into essentially 4 1/2 hours of animation (if each episode is 20 minutes) is madness.

On the other hand, i'm not suggesting it should be something like Naruto or One Piece which goes on for hundreds of episodes.

Best case scenario, the positive feedback will greenlight Shenmue IV and the second season can cover part of S2 and S3. Who knows, perhaps Shenmue V could be done simultaneously like S1 and S2?

Again, i'm just so pleased about the positive feedback. I never thought that not only would it be warmly received, but also getting lots of publicity. This goes with what I said earlier; Shenmue might never be the most popular series, but it's certainly one of the most important. And having the anime as a low barrier to entry is a masterstroke.

What surprises me the most is how positive all the articles and reactions to this are. Shenmue getting positive press in 2021.
Too many sarcastic jabs at the games for my liking. People really are assholes these days. Ever since the announcement of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter in 2015, people have been taking cheap shots at the series. It's like seeing a group of fans so happy after waiting so long really got under their skin for no real reason. Then the popular Youtubers jumped on the bandwagon and Shenmue hasn't been allowed to be anything but something to laugh at.

Back