Shenmue branding.

I'm sure we've seen THQ use the old logo in the past right?

@24Nathan Oh thank goodness. Please let that be the final S3 logo!

The problem I have with the new logo, even the black and white one, is that the letters don't look well drawn enough. I don't like how the two e's look, and how they differ from each other. The logo really lacks the elegance and beauty of the original, imo.

Either way I'll be happy so long as S3 is good.

Totally agree, it’s like very amateurish which is what I was eluding to, also the brand consistency is really key. I mean if we’re looking to bring new gamers to the series then it kind of needs to flow, right now it just looks separate to 1 & 2 HD.

It is really interesting and I don't think it's a mistake or oversight either. I think this is a sign that the original logo is returning again. It really is a bizarre situation, but I think what happened this time (assuming the old logo is returning and it's not some weird error) is that someone higher up requested Yu reverts back to the original logo for brand consistency. Now that the original games are being re-released on modern consoles, it's confusing and nonsensical to be using alternative branding for the third entry.

That said, I actually quite like the flat black and white version Jibby posted above and it has made me view the logo in a new light.
That black and white version is good. If they went with that id be happy

We shall see. If they've pulled rank great as the original is best.

As my wife is a graphic designer, I decided to show her this thread and the evolution of the different fonts used (both for the original series and remake, and the changes to the Shenmue 3 font) to ask what she thinks and her reaction was somewhat amusing...

I first showed her the original font that was used for Shenmue 1 and 2 and explained that the cursive font was the excuse that Yu gave for changing the font for Shenmue 3, as it's not 'accessible'. She said cursive font is very in at the moment, but said she understood. Then I showed the re-releases font and how they altered it slightly and she thought that font was really good as it's more accessible, but is in keeping with the original's style.

Then I showed her the Shenmue 3 fonts...

"Holy shit, is that papyrus!? What are they using for the font for the synopsis on the back of the box? Comic Sans!?"

Then she saw the latest logo...

"Oh dear god.... It looks like a three year old drew it with crayons... No, just no. They can't seriously use that. Who's funding this? No reputable company can use that logo, it's not even just amateur, it's badly drawn"

Edit: She did agree the black and white version looked better though.

You'd think Deep Silver or THQ Nordic would put their foot down?

Hang on a minute, I thought THQ shut down two or three years back...

Hang on a minute, I thought THQ shut down two or three years back...

They did. Nordic Games acquired the THQ trademark and decided to use it in their name. For all intents and purposes, THQ Nordic is a different company from the original THQ that collapsed. THQ Nordic now owns Deep Silver.

As my wife is a graphic designer, I decided to show her this thread and the evolution of the different fonts used (both for the original series and remake, and the changes to the Shenmue 3 font) to ask what she thinks and her reaction was somewhat amusing...

I first showed her the original font that was used for Shenmue 1 and 2 and explained that the cursive font was the excuse that Yu gave for changing the font for Shenmue 3, as it's not 'accessible'. She said cursive font is very in at the moment, but said she understood. Then I showed the re-releases font and how they altered it slightly and she thought that font was really good as it's more accessible, but is in keeping with the original's style.

Then I showed her the Shenmue 3 fonts...

"Holy shit, is that papyrus!? What are they using for the font for the synopsis on the back of the box? Comic Sans!?"

Then she saw the latest logo...

"Oh dear god.... It looks like a three year old drew it with crayons... No, just no. They can't seriously use that. Who's funding this? No reputable company can use that logo, it's not even just amateur, it's badly drawn"

Edit: She did agree the black and white version looked better though.

You'd think Deep Silver or THQ Nordic would put their foot down?
I get the impression they are. They are using the same one as the HD version in their forecasts.

This is the one instance in which I think corporate meddling may be a good thing. We need the old logo.

It would appear that logo isn't going away, I'd say this is the final one....madness.

(Sigh) oh well, beggars and all that.

Shenmue-3-1006246.jpg

I still think Deep Silver had something to do with forcing this change. Not because Ys Net couldn't use the old logo, more because Deep Silver wants Shenmue 3 to be their Shenmue, so to speak, and to be identified as such. The timing of it all lines up too well. So that's what I believe happened, they told Yu they wanted a new logo. Apparently we're just gonna have to live with it. At least it isn't as bad as that initial gold wobbly logo was.

Back