Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

If they don't find talking to people enjoyable, then their issue with the game goes beyond "nothing to do while waiting". They don't like the game in the first place.

Yes, but some people don’t want to talk to people just to talk to people. If they have to talk to people, it’s to advance the plot.
This is probably why Shenmue will be forever an acquired taste. I absolutely love talking to everyone: it is one of the main reasons I fell in love with the game. The ability to just immerse yourself in the environment and get to know everyone around you even if it’s just a shop owner who has no big significance in the game. To a lot of gamers this is boring and the reason why they don’t like Shenmue but to me it’s one of the main things that make it so special.

This is probably why Shenmue will be forever an acquired taste. I absolutely love talking to everyone: it is one of the main reasons I fell in love with the game. The ability to just immerse yourself in the environment and get to know everyone around you even if it’s just a shop owner who has no big significance in the game. To a lot of gamers this is boring and the reason why they don’t like Shenmue but to me it’s one of the main things that make it so special.
Also I think it comes down to the fact the game does not make you talk to X person. You have to go around and find out who X person is in the first place in order to progress. I personally loved it at the time and still do. Newer gamers may find this a bit tedious but if you lose yourself in the game it becomes part of the charm.

I find there isn't enough time in Shenmue, I have to miss things out if I want to do Fangmei's birthday quest.

If they don't find talking to people enjoyable, then their issue with the game goes beyond "nothing to do while waiting". They don't like the game in the first place.

There’s a difference in talking to NPCs to continue gameplay and just talking to NPCs to kill time.

For instance, the millions of people who play Skyrim don’t mind talking to every NPC. But, that’s because they expect many of them to lead them toward another quest. Shenmue has no such luxury (for the most part), and that’s why QoL features are necessary to attract many newer gamers.

Is there a trick to doing arm break fire on Shenmue 2? In 1 I was able to get it to do the second phase of that move but in 2 I can only get Ryo to grab them by the arm and punch them in the back knocking them to the ground. Every once in a while he will take them to the ground and I hear their arm pop. But that isn’t the whole move is it?

While facing them I input > < <+O(on ps4). On 1 I did the same and input Square at a certain time to go to the next phase. Then I hit Square+X for the next phase. I think I successfully did it once. But I can’t do it on Shenmue 2.

Is there a trick to doing arm break fire on Shenmue 2? In 1 I was able to get it to do the second phase of that move but in 2 I can only get Ryo to grab them by the arm and punch them in the back knocking them to the ground. Every once in a while he will take them to the ground and I hear their arm pop. But that isn’t the whole move is it?

While facing them I input > < <+O(on ps4). On 1 I did the same and input Square at a certain time to go to the next phase. Then I hit Square+X for the next phase. I think I successfully did it once. But I can’t do it on Shenmue 2.

I was able to do it just fine, hell, even better in Shenmue 2 than in 1. Going back and playing Shenmue 1, I never noticed how SLOW the combat was and how off the hit boxes actually were compared to 2. In 2, the combat was more fast-paced and the hit boxes felt better for some reason, and allowed my frantic-like button mashing to pull off difficult throw moves like the Monkey Roll or Arm Break Fire with their X & X+Square extensions better than in 1. The Shadow Blade is still strangely hard to pull off though...

Despite all my problems with the port that is one cool cake. Hopefully once they finish it they might get round to fixing all the bugs.?

download.png

Last edited:
I was able to do it just fine, hell, even better in Shenmue 2 than in 1. Going back and playing Shenmue 1, I never noticed how SLOW the combat was and how off the hit boxes actually were compared to 2. In 2, the combat was more fast-paced and the hit boxes felt better for some reason, and allowed my frantic-like button mashing to pull off difficult throw moves like the Monkey Roll or Arm Break Fire with their X & X+Square extensions better than in 1. The Shadow Blade is still strangely hard to pull off though...
How do you instigate arm break fire? Is it only > < <+Square? That only grabs them from behind and hits their back knocking them to the ground when I try it.

@Guangyan Wang I saw that cake tweet earlier, funny how d3t seems oblivious as to whats going on, I would say tweeting that out right now is out of line considering the circumstances. I said it before and this further confirms it, they need an attitude adjustment and to get their priorities straight. They release a broken game, and they are having a party smh...

How do you instigate arm break fire? Is it only > < <+Square? That only grabs them from behind and hits their back knocking them to the ground when I try it.

The full Arm Break Fire is "Forward, Back, Back+Circle, X, X+Square", in that exact order one right after the other. You gotta press it all really quick, fast kinda like Akuma's Raging Demon, and in front or to the side-ish of the opponent. I find that it's best to execute this move after you've parried the opponent fully, step forward twice real quick and immediately roll into the move like I wrote. Works most of the time for me anyways.

@Guangyan Wang I saw that cake tweet earlier, funny how d3t seems oblivious as to whats going on, I would say tweeting that out right now is out of line considering the circumstances. I said it before and this further confirms it, they need an attitude adjustment and to get their priorities straight. They release a broken game, and they are having a party smh...
I'm sorry but that's a bit of a petty attitude to have. They've clearly been working hard on patching the game since launch; they're probably just as happy as us that a patch will finally be hitting consoles this week. I bet most of these people have been working their asses off for months and probably deserve a bit of downtime to celebrate. If you don't like seeing them celebrate then don't follow them on Twitter.

*edit* When I read the replies to that tweet, I feel embarrassed to be a Shenmue fan.

I totally disagree. I am embarrassed to be a shenmue fan for the exact opposite reasons as you right now. I feel embarrassed because I talked this up and trusted this release and now all the people I was trying to get on board with the series have heard all this bug news, have been put off from Shenmue and have for the most part avoided me. And I feel embarrassed because some of the community seem to be push overs and willing to take what ever is dished out and asked of us. We should be enjoying the game normally, not working qa for free after buying the product.

It was not smart to publicly make that tweet, some fans arent happy with how things have gone, you cant just ignore that whether you agree with them or not. I mean this is their consumer that just spent money with them, where is the respect? The list of of issues since launch is going on and on and tension is rising, we'll see what ultimately happens but there will eventually hit a breaking point if it keeps on like this. There is nothing wrong with holding them accountable for this rough start, it HAS NOT gone smoothly its just a fact.

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 4.02.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 4.03.39 PM.png
I'm surprised people aren't picking up on this. Seems d3t put in a lot of effort but in some way or another were constrained in reaching their potential, be it development time, resources available, or a combination of factors.

View attachment 1114

View attachment 1115
I'm surprised people aren't picking up on this. Seems d3t put in a lot of effort but in some way or another were constrained in reaching their potential, be it development time, resources available, or a combination of factors.
I don’t blame dt3. Seems like Sega put them in a very hard position. Sega are an absoulte disgrace for treating Shenmue so poorly. We always knew they didn’t care about the series and was a black sheep to them but they completely proved it with how they treated the ports. No Sega PR will change my mind. Giving the task to a small unproven developer is one thing but to rush them to the point where releasing it in any playable form is an acheievement is scandalous. I had long ago lost any faith in Sega but things like Sonic Mania and their seemingly embrace of Shenmue made me rethink my view of them. How wrong I was.

I don't get why Sega rushed the launch of the ports, Shenmue 3 will be launch in a year and they have more than enough time to polish the games and release them with time enought so that player can play them. Maybe to have launched this Christmast would have been the most logical.

I finished Shenmue 1 on PC and yes, it's nice and you can play it almost without any flaws...untill the game hooks up, or some sounds keeps on playing forever or graphical glitches.

But above all, after more than 15 years of fans asking for this ports, the most worrying thing it's the bad reputation these ports are getting and the harm Sega is doing to the saga. First time player who give a try to the series could be upset and discouraged to continue playing because of all this. And all this could affect the future sales of Shenmue 3 so as the future Shenmue 4.

It's a real same the way these ports have been treated and I'm afraid they have harmed the name of Shenmue. After all these years...come on!

The list of of issues since launch is going on and on and tension is rising, we'll see what ultimately happens but there will eventually hit a breaking point if it keeps on like this.
Tensions are rising and they'll eventually hit a breaking point? What are you even talking about? We're a fanbase, not a band of revolutionaries. d3t are already fixing the game and have been since launch, so what could you possibly hope to achieve by shitting on a celebratory Twitter post? If anything "tensions" will decrease more and more with each patch.

As long as they fix the games in a timely manner, which they're well on track to do, no longterm damage will be done. I've only read positive things from newcomers. I encouraged someone to buy it and they loved Shenmue; they did not find it overly buggy and basically dismissed my concerns as being over the top. Anyone who plays these games after this week will be getting a dramatically improved experience.

It's hard to read into John from Digital Foundry's comments. The development was clearly troubled and he doesn't seem to blame d3t, which makes it seem like SEGA pulled the rug out from under them in some way...who knows.

I have just passed the Nozomi rescue thing, I only got the 1st person issue, the cinematic one when talking with Fuku San and some minor stuff. Actually most of the reported issues are minor (some of them less than minor actually) or severe but only a handful of critical ones. We will see what happen with the patch, but for now I have watch better budgetted titles with bigger problems (Mass Effect Andromeda, Assasins Creed French Revolution one), so any kind of breaking point thing is absurd for me. Also, if Sega has released it now is because I don't know if you have checked the upcoming months calendar, but there is going to be a busy autumn and winter for general gaming, so marketing wise was hit it now or get lost in the AAA madness coming

I totally disagree. I am embarrassed to be a shenmue fan for the exact opposite reasons as you right now. I feel embarrassed because I talked this up and trusted this release and now all the people I was trying to get on board with the series have heard all this bug news, have been put off from Shenmue and have for the most part avoided me. And I feel embarrassed because some of the community seem to be push overs and willing to take what ever is dished out and asked of us. We should be enjoying the game normally, not working qa for free after buying the product.

It was not smart to publicly make that tweet, some fans arent happy with how things have gone, you cant just ignore that whether you agree with them or not. I mean this is their consumer that just spent money with them, where is the respect? The list of of issues since launch is going on and on and tension is rising, we'll see what ultimately happens but there will eventually hit a breaking point if it keeps on like this. There is nothing wrong with holding them accountable for this rough start, it HAS NOT gone smoothly its just a fact.

You’re right, but it’s not their fault, it’s Sega’s. Still, probably shouldn’t be posting something like that right now. Feel the room.

Its been hard being a laughing stock of gaming during the dark years, this community has gone to hell and back since shenmue 2 was released, this community was attacked over and over and over with fake Shenmue 3 news from big names in the gaming industry to small, we had other games announced like Shenmue Online that never saw the light of day, we constantly had hopes built then knocked right back down, trolls used to target this place as a prime breeding ground. We have deep wounds in this community had irreversible damage done and I would say collectively we have been traumatized by everything that has happened, the Vets around here know. I just wish this community could catch a break, I wish this community was shown more respect, and I wish this community respected itself more than it does. We have accomplished so much to get this far, Shenmue 3 would have never happened with out our persistence, Shenmue HD would have never happened with out our presistence, but damn it we need to know when the line has been crossed and to stand up for our selves and let d3t and Sega know releasing this in this state was not ok in a civil manner even though feelings are running high, which is what I have personally been doing. I do not wish to go back and forth, I am just trying to put information out there and give perspective because im a long time fan and member of this community that never really stopped being active around here and I'm concerned.

Back