Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

Imagine if Shenmue 3 had Virtual On or VF5 in the arcade. :(

Yakuza wins again.

Let's not let our fandom delude ourselves, Yakuza is very much based off of Shenmue and is the modern casualized version of Shenmue 2. Shenmue 1 is a completely unique game that can't be compared to anything but Shenmue 2 is very much a primitive version of modern Yakuza games... It's still very unique of course but there are A LOT of similarities...

There are a lot of similarities between Mario Kart and Grand Theft Auto too. The main bulk of the gameplay consists of driving cars fast and shooting weapons out of them; there's an increasing emphasis on car customisation in both series; not to mention both series now allowing you to race people online (along with other modes where you use weapons to destroy people). I mean, they're basically the same game!

You'd have to be deluded to claim GTA isn't based on Mario Kart.

Yakuza and Shenmue comparisons are the Dark Souls of lazy hack shit games journalism.

Last edited:
There are a lot of similarities between Mario Kart and Grand Theft Auto too. The main bulk of the gameplay consists of driving cars fast and shooting weapons out of them; there's an increasing emphasis on car customisation in both series; not to mention both series now allowing you to race people online (along with other modes where you use weapons to destroy people). I mean, they're basically the same game!

You'd have to be deluded to claim GTA isn't based on Mario Kart.
Let's not let our fandom delude ourselves

The Yakuza comparisons will always be there and we can't say the newer games don't borrow from Shenmue because they do.

However on a fundamental level they are very very different games.

Yakuza comparisons will always sting a bit, but it's the kind of thing we just need to accept unfortunately. The games do have their similarities, but I'd like to think that most people know they're just surface level.

I've also seen people express interest in playing Shenmue because it 'looks like Yakuza', so it can be a good thing sometimes.

Yakuza and Shenmue have a very different tone which makes them seem very different. I feel Yakuza is more like a GTA/Shenmue mash up with a more traditional JRPG layered in over the other twos realism. (Obviously GTA isn’t realistic but it doesn’t have a lot of traditional game mechanics to thing like character progression)

However the mechanics of the games can be quite similar. Story driven with quirky small town sequences side quests, arcades and irrelevant things to do. The main combat is a beatem up brawler, they are both a semi open world in that you are restricted where you can go and feature a small town/city district that can be explored on foot. But they are not fully linear.

An analogy would be most games are like football - there’s lots of vareints (Soccer, American, Rugby) and there’s games like hockey which are still similar.

Yakuza is more like baseball while Shenmue is like cricket. While in comparison to football they are similar, compared to each other are very different sports.

Shenmue 1 is the test cricket of gaming. Lasts 5 days, lots of non fans claim nothing much happens.

It's not that outlandish. Nagoshi worked on Shenmue and Sega made both games. Yakuza definitely mined Shenmue for some inspiration. For instance, the continual use of arcades and Sega IPs (many of which were created by Yu Suzuki) continue to appear in Yakuza titles.

It's also a fact Yakuza is the more popular series. We'll see if Shenmue 3 can change that.

Sales data from a Spanish journalist that as checked VG chartz phisical sales (PS4 and Xbox One) are as following:
USA Week: 39.117
UK: 10.162
France: 9.409
Germany: 6.950
Spain (3 weeks data): 4.150

So, not counting the whole month and only 5 countries so far 69.788 ans not counting Pc and digital.

20180929_130707.png

Sales data from a Spanish journalist that as checked VG chartz phisical sales (PS4 and Xbox One) are as following:
USA Week: 39.117
UK: 10.162
France: 9.409
Germany: 6.950
Spain (3 weeks data): 4.150

So, not counting the whole month and only 5 countries so far 69.788 ans not counting Pc and digital.

View attachment 1307
With pc sales I reckon it's around the 100k mark then.

A big push will be needed with Shenmue 3 I feel otherwise sales may struggle.

With pc sales I reckon it's around the 100k mark then.

A big push will be needed with Shenmue 3 I feel otherwise sales may struggle.
I think Japanese release is the key point here. Also before 3 this need to be on sale on Digital and as a PS Plus game in 2019 summer. I would like to see other similar ports sells data

I'm no expert but 100k or so seems pretty good to me for 5 countries in less than a month. That isn't even counting Canada or Japan.

EDIT - Wait, this is based on VGChartz? They're not reliable at all.

Last edited:
I think Japanese release is the key point here. Also before 3 this need to be on sale on Digital and as a PS Plus game in 2019 summer. I would like to see other similar ports sells data
Absolutely. They market 3 carefully around the HD ports and it will help hugely

Uh guys, VGChartz isn't reliable in the least. So much so that Wikipedia doesn't allow it as a reference.
That's something I didn't know. Where are the more accurate figures from?

As someone above said the numbers are not bad for 5 countries in a month. I'd like to see other figures and how Japan boosts this.

I forgot to translate that USA, UK, France and Germany data are from 1st week only.

That's something I didn't know. Where are the more accurate figures from?

As someone above said the numbers are not bad for 5 countries in a month. I'd like to see other figures and how Japan boosts this.
I doubt we'll know until SEGA themselves tell us. Everything else is an educated guess at best.

I forgot to translate that USA, UK, France and Germany data are from 1st week only.
Yeah first week only for US, UK, Germany and France. Doesn't seem that bad, especially because it doesn't include digital sales and only includes PS4 and Xbox One.

Last edited:
Yeah first week only for US, UK, Germany and France. Doesn't seem that bad, especially because it doesn't include digital sales.
That's quite impressive considering it's 1st week and only 5 countries. Maybe Sega will make comment if a milestone is hit like 500k for example

Back