Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

I'd argue that gta 3 had nothing on the character models of Shenmue. However mgs2 did. That game was amazing looking and holds up now.

GTA3, VC and SA were ugly games even for the time. I guess they had to sacrifice graphics to make a seamless open world.

Yeah, MGS2 was definitely above and beyond everything else on the PS2 at the time (but that was like late 2001, not 99/00 when Shenmue 1 released). To put it into perspective, Shenmue 1 released like a year after MGS1 did. Talk about a leap in graphics for the time.

Bit sad seeing shenmue 1&2 go from green to yellow on metacritic. USgamer's review was a bit harsh honestly, I have many complaints about the port but 5/10 is a bit low.

I’m curious: I read some comments about the Japanese audio using the timings from the English dub. Is this confirmed/noticeable, and which game was this in?

I'm curious, does your TV go up and down in brightness? I'm not sure if It's my TV or if it's the game. Looking for warehouse #8 at night was like walking in pitch black darkness.

Its the game. I had the same experience.
I *think* it’s supposed to be an improvement.
It seems like the brightness is sort of adjusting to how dark the scene is on the camera overall. It looks a bit like how you can adjust the appeture on your phone camera by focusing/clicking on a certain point. I’d guess in this case the focal point is the centre of the screen, when ideally it should be on Ryo.

...but generally the games are too dark.

This is fucking awesome. I think what's happening is that the major gaming sites are realising the games are selling well with a generally very positive reception from fans and responding accordingly. Publications tend to focus on what's popular.

Also a reminder that it's Monday so the UK charts will be out soon. Shenmue should theoretically do well as the UK was a Sega stronghold and we know that certain UK retailers like Amazon UK sold out of the game.

So hopefully that'll be a pleasant surprise for later. Honestly it'd be so cathartic to see games that had their audience limited at the time of release selling really well now. I bet Yu Suzuki would be over the moon to see that.

It also significantly helps out Shenmue III and increases the chances of Shenmue IV. So hope we get good news.

I’m curious: I read some comments about the Japanese audio using the timings from the English dub. Is this confirmed/noticeable, and which game was this in?
Confirmed, when a japanese sentence is shorter than its english counterpart the characters just stop talking and keep quiet until their next line of dialogue kicks in. It's mildly noticeable and it happens a bit more than a few times. Still a bit better than watching people moving their mouth soundlessly, like in the fan undub version, i guess.
Of course this only happens in Shenmue 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: arh
Not only that, Shenmue managed to dethrone the Crash Bandicoot remake from the tops of the charts after 8 consecutive weeks. It just shows people have a real desire to see classic games brought to modern consoles, even compared to everything else on offer today.

The hype is real, everything we've been saying all these years about the appeal of Shenmue is being proven right. That Shenmue isn't just some curio from the Dreamcast, in an earlier era of gaming. Shenmue is truly a great game in its own right and can hold its own against anything open-world released since 1999.

Not only that, Shenmue managed to dethrone the Crash Bandicoot remake from the tops of the charts after 8 consecutive weeks. It just shows people have a real desire to see classic games brought to modern consoles, even compared to everything else on offer today.

The hype is real, everything we've been saying all these years about the appeal of Shenmue is being proven right. That Shenmue isn't just some curio from the Dreamcast, in an earlier era of gaming. Shenmue is truly a great game in its own right and can hold its own against anything open-world released since 1999.

If I could "super like" your post I would!

Has anyone been playing the game on a tv that enhances motion on the video output? I’ve been tinkering with the settings on and off and I’m not sure what I prefer! With the settings off you get standard 30fps, but with it on you get the illusion that the game is actually running at 60fps, and I quite like it!

Has anyone been playing the game on a tv that enhances motion on the video output? I’ve been tinkering with the settings on and off and I’m not sure what I prefer! With the settings off you get standard 30fps, but with it on you get the illusion that the game is actually running at 60fps, and I quite like it!
Doesn't that highly increase imput lag, though?

Finally playing Shenmue II in English for the first time....and it's HORRENDOUS!!! I never bothered watching the clips on youtube! I'll do one play through in English and I'll stick to the Japanese versions for the rest of my life. I'll admit the water textures at the beginning of the game were incredible so I'll give the XBox soure code credit where it's due.

just started playing s1 on the ps4. for me, its the first time re-visiting it in 10 years.

so much for the predicted updated controls, it still plays like your steering a boat lol

having played only the english s1 on the dreamcast, i thought it would be nice to play 1 & 2 back to back in japanese. ive noticed a "click" after some characters talk to ryo.. its not really bad but its noticeable.

i can see myself getting addicted and playing non stop, soon.

Reactions: arh
Back