Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

I'd like to ask you how you traced the values to find the executable patch.

Also as many of you may have noticed Ryo uses low and high poly hands during gameplay I have a similar CT table to enable high poly hands always, Do you think you would be able to patch it I the executable too?

For Shenmue V1.01 - search for those values in the EXE and nop (0x90) them.

q0dz0xh.png

Those are for Shenmue II V1.01

CB5Gt4e.png

Last edited:
Also as many of you may have noticed Ryo uses low and high poly hands during gameplay I have a similar CT table to enable high poly hands always, Do you think you would be able to patch it I the executable too?
I can try it, could you please share the table ? thanks

Shenmue I & II V1.01 Widescreen Hex Fix (permanent)

This is a permanent auto fixer for Shenmue I & II V1.01 based on the new hack by @Esppiral, with this hack the UI and subtitles are displayed correctly in widescreen.
  • Download the zip file from this link.
  • Extract it to the folder where Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe file is.
  • Run PatchSM1.bat to fix Shenmue.exe / PatchSM2.bat to fix Shenmue2.exe as administrator (Right click -> Run as administrator) and the patch will backup the original Shenmue.exe / Shenmue2.exe and apply the fix.

Note: The fixers will only work with V1.01.

You can make such a permanent fix for .exe files of the first version (Shenmue I & II 1.0). Or, specify the required values for the Hex Editor to fix it yourself. Or are only options with interface distortions possible?
Thanks in advance...

Thank you very much ner0 I knew someone would be able to patch it directly to the executable, it works flawlessly.

I'd like to ask you how you traced the values to find the executable patch.

As @masterchan777 already alluded to, in Cheat Engine you just need to right-click on your target cheat and select 'Find what writes to this address. Cheat Engine traces back all the op codes that trigger changes to it and shows their memory addresses and hex patterns. You won't have any trouble doing this yourself. But I'll be more than happy to also include that tweak in my hardcode's patch.

Your work is awesome btw :)

Last edited:
I think that at this point it's safe to assume that the initial theory as to why cut-scenes would be forced to 4:3 aspect ratio was wrong. Meaning that it had little to nothing to do with keeping true to an artistic/creative choice (wasn't a choice though, 4:3 was a standard at the time and they had to make do). Also there is no detrimental effect to the story, quite the opposite in fact, by keeping a widescreen view throughout the game you maintain the cinematic feeling and immersion, which has been a standard in recent gaming history, without breaking any story-telling component whatsoever, that is until something like this happens:

giphy.gif

And taking the above into consideration, I suspect that that was the main reason why the decision was made to lock cut-scenes to 4:3, otherwise d3t would probably have had to restructure a lot of cut-scenes and animations to avoid this kind of behavior. Of course I'm also speculating, mainly because I haven't had the chance to play the game enough at 16:9 ratio to actually know if more of these bugs happen and how often.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing, I am not, but ever since it was disclosed that the game would run at 16:9, yet cut-scenes would be limited to 4:3, I wondered why the decision and the explanation, or theory, about keeping a creative vision intact was less compelling of an argument than purely technical restrictions or time-consuming fixes.

Those playing the game from end to end with cut-scenes in 16:9 could chime-in and relate your experiences.
Have you met much more bugs like the one in the sample above? Has it made the cut-scene less immersive or distracting?
Share your thoughts.

Last edited:
I guess they just thought it wouldn't have been acceptable for an official release to offer a glitchy/faulty 16:9 cutscene option, while at the same time Sega didn't give d3t enough budget and time to eventually fix them.

Of course it may look like a laughably hypocritical decision now, considering how much more broken and buggy the build they released actually was, but still, i think it's really easy to understand the logic behind this, after all.

Last edited:
How frequent are framing issues?
I keep seeing the scene ner0 just posted as an example.
Which, incidentally, is 16:9 in the re-release and still bugged lmao

I guess they just thought it wouldn't have been acceptable for an official release to offer a glitchy/faulty 16:9 cutscene option, while at the same time Sega didn't give d3t enough budget and time to eventually fix them.

Of course it may look like a laughably hypocritical decision now, considering how much more broken and buggy the build they released actually was, but still, i think it's really easy to understand the logic behind this, after all.
That's completely reasonable, and that was the probable reason which I was aiming at.
I was merely pointing out that the contradictory theory that was floated around initially, that it was fixed at 4:3 ratio to preserve some sort of artistic direction, never made much sense. Budget and technical difficulties make complete sense though, and I don't blame that decision if in fact it turns out that there are serious issues in 16:9.

Mostly I'm curious to know how people have been experiencing cut-scenes in 16:9.
Personally, I have been avoiding playing the games in their current state because I don't have much free time and I prefer keeping my nostalgia intact and just enjoy it once the current issues are ironed out to a degree that isn't distracting.

Is it wrong to think that with the successful sales of the re-releases, that any aftercare budget set aside by Sega could be greatly increased? To maybe actually have d3t work on these wide-screen issues? Or am I way off the mark?

It's Sega, its very hard to predict what they will do. Hopefully we get some first week sales numbers soon. I hope there will be updates of a similar nature and not just patches, but they have their work cut out for them patching everything as it is, much less adding new stuff. We'll see, can only really hope for the best at this point.

Is it wrong to think that with the successful sales of the re-releases, that any aftercare budget set aside by Sega could be greatly increased? To maybe actually have d3t work on these wide-screen issues? Or am I way off the mark?

Considering the constant tweeting and emails we sent, it was a miracle SEGA decided to re-release Shenmue, I think getting them to look into a widescreen option would probably be so much easier with some...communication :)

I propose a campaign perhaps with a 16:9 picture of a cutscene.

Should be optional, there are some minor glitches here and there in some cutscenes, but there are a handful of Qte's and scenes that are wide-screen and exhibit the same little issues and no one has been hurted.

I agree, having played with 16:9 cutscenes in the start of Shenmue 1. I think I've noticed more clipping or animation oddities during actual gameplay. whereas I can only remember 2 or 3 times during cinematics where the camera clipped into something. It's almost as if the game was meant to be widescreen.

I agree, having played with 16:9 cutscenes in the start of Shenmue 1. I think I've noticed more clipping or animation oddities during actual gameplay. whereas I can only remember 2 or 3 times during cinematics where the camera clipped into something. It's almost as if the game was meant to be widescreen.
I'm not sure I understand.
Your awereness of clipping and other animation issues during gameplay has increased since you started playing with cut-scenes in 16:9? This is strange because something that is only supposed to affect cut-scenes shouldn't have any secondary effect, let alone on the gameplay itself, but we never know. Also, in your last frase, do you actually mean that the game was meant to be played in widescreen or was that a typo and you wanted to say that it was NOT meant to be played in widescreen?

Back