Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Thank you very much to everyone that is working so hard for all this!

I just have one question, do we have to reactivate the code everytime we open the game?

For anyone struggling to understand how to use the cheat table, I've written a step by step guide with pictures:
(In a quote as there's a lot of large images)

Hope this helps out! Looking forward to the autofixer by masterchan which should really streamline the process!

Does the cheat engine table also remove the black bars on the beta branch version? Thanks for the guide, but unfortantely I tried everything and it didn't change anything on both 1.00 and 1.01 beta.

Just on Shenmue 1.

Does the cheat engine table also remove the black bars on the beta branch version? Thanks for the guide, but unfortantely I tried everything and it didn't change anything on both 1.00 and 1.01 beta.
It does. With the beta, you need to use the new version of the cheat table located here.

Are you following the guide exactly? Do you run into any inconsistencies throughout the process or does it just not take any effect after you're completed the steps?

I also realised I may have missed a step after you apply the 'NOP'. When the box pops asking what you want to name it, just click OK and don't change anything.

It does. With the beta, you need to use the new version of the cheat table located here.

Are you following the guide exactly? Do you run into any inconsistencies throughout the process or does it just not take any effect after you're completed the steps?

I also realised I may have missed a step after you apply the 'NOP'. When the box pops asking what you want to name it, just click OK and don't change anything.

It just doesn't take any effect. I followed the guide and all it simply did was make the game unable to change the display area between 4:3 and 16:9 in the graphics options.

It just doesn't take any effect. I followed the guide and all it simply did was make the game unable to change the display area between 4:3 and 16:9 in the graphics options.
Are you in a cutscene when applying the hack (the opening prologue perhaps)? If so you may get locked in 4:3. Try applying it on the second main menu screen (where you select 'Continue' 'New Game' etc.).

Are you in a cutscene when applying the hack (the opening prologue perhaps)? If so you may get locked in 4:3. Try applying it on the second main menu screen (where you select 'Continue' 'New Game' etc.).

I wasn't, but I tried the second menu and even when having it preset to 4:3 by going in-game and back, it forced the HUD display back to 16:9. Tried it many different ways and still forced it.

After applying this patch i noticed two instances of objects disappearing and character models stopping and standing still in the 4:3 letterboxed area. Im sure this is why d3t put in the black bars. Doesn't explain the Goro harbor QTE scene being in 16:9 and still showing the dude standing still once he's out of frame.

Well, I just realised that this fix is for 16:9, and I'm running a different aspect ratio setup. I try to change the value under the "...NOP" area but it tells me that the value cannot be parsed. How do I change the aspect ratio value for the table?

Shenmue I and II - 16:9 Widescreen patch
- for any™ PC version -

I decided to adapt to the PC re-release version of Shenmue the script that I initially did for the Dreamcast, which was also based on @Esppiral's work.

The script is universal for both games, and it patches the binaries instead of the memory. One of the immediate advantages is that it is permanent, you don't have to run the program every time you want to play. At this point it works with all releases up until v1.07 of both games. This patch also includes a "fix" dedicated to Shenmue II which allows cut-scenes to be full-screen instead of keeping black borders on the top and bottom. Additionally, I have written custom code that can be injected into the executable to make the subtitles stay on the same lower position during full-screen cut-scenes; optionally you can remove the camera icon that appears during cut-scenes and action sequences in the top-right corner.

Link to the patch: http://tiny.cc/shmwsp

giphy.gif

Just unzip all the ZIP archive's contents anywhere on your disk, then simply drag & drop one of Shenmue's executables, from the sm1 or sm2 folders (Shenmue.exe or Shenmue2.exe, accordingly), over the script named DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE. When the patch is ready to be applied, a backup of the executable is created for you to be able to roll-back if you need.

NOTE: If you have issues with the patcher opening and closing without any error message at all, try extracting its contents to a folder in your Desktop and copy the intended Shenmue's executable there, then do the drag & drop operation inside that folder and see if that works for you, if it does then just copy the patched executable and backup files back to your Steam installation folder.

Patcher feature demo

Shenmue II
Proper fullscreen cut-scenes

Shenmue II
Proper subtitle positioning in fullscreen cut-scenes

Shenmue2 - Subtitle positioning hacky hack hack.png
NOTE
: The subtitle positioning fix during full-screen cut-scenes will only work if your game UI Display scale is at 100%.

Shenmue II
Proper subtitle positioning in fullscreen cut-scenes (tech demo)

Shenmue II
No camera icon in top-right during fullscreen cut-scenes or action sequences

index.php

Code:
00007FF7E4A18D3E  | jmp 0x7FF7E4C599C1               ->|--|
00007FF7E4A18D43  | mov dword ptr ss:[rbp+0x4C],eax  <-|--|-------|
                                                       |  |       |
00007FF7E4C599C1  | cmp eax,0x44430000               <-|--|       |
00007FF7E4C599C6  | je 0x7FF7E4CA699A                ->|----|     |
00007FF7E4C599CC  | mov rdi,qword ptr ss:[rsp+0x60]  <-|----|--|  |
00007FF7E4C599D1  | jmp 0x7FF7E4A18D43               ->|----|--|--|
                                                       |    |  |
00007FF7E4CA699A  | cmp si,0x198                     <-|----|  |
00007FF7E4CA699F  | jne 0x7FF7E4C599CC               ->|-------|
00007FF7E4CA69A5  | mov eax,0x44638000                 |       |
00007FF7E4CA69AA  | jmp 0x7FF7E4C599CC               ->|-------|
Notes:
  • This code checks if the game is trying to change the position of an UI object to the coordinates 0x44430000, if it is then it checks for the next thing on its list;
  • 0x198 is the value that represents the subtitle object during cut-scenes - when the game is about to change the object position, it checks if it's during a cut-scene, if it is not then the code returns to its original routine;

Attachments

• nocamico.png
    nocamico.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,574
Last edited:
It may be redundant and unnecessary at this point (possibly faulty even), but I decided to try to adapt the script that I did for the DC widescreen hack, which was also based on Esppiral's work. The script patches the binaries instead of the memory; one of the advantages is that it is permanent and should work with any version (at least until the hex patterns change). A backup of the executable is created to be able to roll-back if you want to.

Here's the script: https://mega.nz/#!SpRjgCxB!C8pLsl3jQsH8EmvLZC6_Vjs2tJ_HMUe3iAJc7IGwdxA

Just unzip the archive contents anywhere on your disk, then simply drag & drop one of Shenmue's executables, from the sm1 or sm2 folders (Shenmue.exe or Shenmue2.exe, accordingly), over the script named DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE.bat.

Is this the same fix as the table?

After applying this patch i noticed two instances of objects disappearing and character models stopping and standing still in the 4:3 letterboxed area. Im sure this is why d3t put in the black bars. Doesn't explain the Goro harbor QTE scene being in 16:9 and still showing the dude standing still once he's out of frame.

Which scenes were those?

I've only played 3 hours so far and not installed this mod but I did think it was pretty funny how if you play the game in 16:9 (without the mod), you can see Wang standing awkwardly in the corner of Ajiichi when you go there to ask about Chinese people :p

It may be redundant and unnecessary at this point (possibly faulty even), but I decided to try to adapt the script that I did for the DC widescreen hack, which was also based on Esppiral's work. The script patches the binaries instead of the memory; one of the advantages is that it is permanent and should work with any version (at least until the hex patterns change). A backup of the executable is created to be able to roll-back if you want to.

Here's the script: https://mega.nz/#!SpRjgCxB!C8pLsl3jQsH8EmvLZC6_Vjs2tJ_HMUe3iAJc7IGwdxA

Just unzip the archive contents anywhere on your disk, then simply drag & drop one of Shenmue's executables, from the sm1 or sm2 folders (Shenmue.exe or Shenmue2.exe, accordingly), over the script named DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE.bat.

Followed all instructions. However when I drag Shenmue.exe over the script DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE it just flashes this message for a second and closes doing nothing to the "Shenmue.exe"

I am using Windows 10 64bit
dragshen.jpg

Followed all instructions. However when I drag Shenmue.exe over the script DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE it just flashes this message for a second and closes doing nothing to the "Shenmue.exe"

I am using Windows 10 64bit
View attachment 791

That's weird, at least it should have failed with an error.
Can you upload your exe somewhere so that I can take a look?
Also, try to place the script and all of its contents on a folder in your desktop then copy the exe to the same folder as the script and then drag and drop there - if it works copy it over to the Steam folder.

Doesn't work for me (Shenmue 2 1.01), it just says "error, patch was aborted" after checking the binary

Back